Mariner time zones?????

sanditoes4

Let me start by saying I am a first timer and really confused....

We will be on her in Jan. 2006. We start in EST from FL. go to Labadee EST, Jamacia EST, Grand Cayman EST and stopping in Cozumel CST. How do I keep track of what time it really is?? We live in CST!!

I assume the ship stays on it's homebase time zone which is EST, so how do I know we will be on time for our excursions for Cozumel CST??????

We are booked with private guides, and I assume they keep track of that but I noticed on our confirmation papers that it says 10am and I booked the 11am tour. We don't get there until 10am,Do I make big deal or is it right???

I am sorry, I hope I don't sound mental!! I have paid in full for these and I want to make sure we get to go!!

Thanks for your help, Merry Christmas everyone!!!

There is no easy answer to your question. When the ship leaves from Florida you will be on EST. You will be told during the cruise if you need to set your watch ahead or back. It seems to vary by ship as I have been on cruises where they have changed the ships time to match the time in the ports and I have been on cruises where the ships time has not been changed so it was not the same as the time in port. Pay carefull attention to the ships newsletter as it will always tell you if you need to make any adjustments.

They will keep you informed on the ship. Generally, ships time is ships time so if you set your watch to EST you will be fine...just go by your watch. And EST is later than CST so your excursion should also be fine. For instance...if the excursion is 11am CST and you arrive in port at 10am EST it is really 9am CST...therefore your excursion is really at 12pm EST.

Have I confused you?

What I am trying to say is that if your:

Excursion is 11am CST and your

Arrival at Port is 10am EST

That is really a time difference of 2 hours although it only looks like one.

You just need to verify that your excursion IS scheduled on CST time or you could get there late.

If in doubt about what time the ship is leaving just stay on EST to be safe...it is much better to get back to the ship an hour early than an hour late!!!

We will be on her in Jan. 2006. We start in EST from FL. go to Labadee EST, Jamacia EST, Grand Cayman EST and stopping in Cozumel CST. How do I keep track of what time it really is?? We live in CST!!

I assume the ship stays on it's homebase time zone which is EST, so how do I know we will be on time for our excursions for Cozumel CST??????

We are booked with private guides, and I assume they keep track of that but I noticed on our confirmation papers that it says 10am and I booked the 11am tour. We don't get there until 10am,Do I make big deal or is it right???

I am sorry, I hope I don't sound mental!! I have paid in full for these and I want to make sure we get to go!!

You will be fine. They will advise you on the ship when you need to change time zones if necessary. Don't worry about it.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to keep posting to your thread but I know this can get confusing :D

I think what happened was that you booked the excursion for 11am EST which is actually 10am CST and their correct time zone which is why the documents show something different. In this case...even though you dock at 10 and your excursion is at 10, you really have an hour to get from ship to excursion assuming the ship docks on time.

Does that make any sense? If I were you, I would verify the timezone that the documents are listed as...as long as it is 10am CST you can get there on time as you will be docking at 9am CST

Seriously - this IS confusing for most

You can get a fairly inexpensive watch that displays multiple time zones. Set one to 'ship time' and one to 'island time' ....

It works....as long as you set to the right times and remember which is which ;)

I worked for a while at sea where we kept crossing the date line....I couldn't remember if it was today, yesterday or tomorrow

Take your cellphone. When you change time zones, it should change too with the carriers. You should pick up a signal from a cell tower pretty much everywhere you cruise to and that will adjust the time on your phone but you still may not be able to call out. I know when I travel I am usually able to use my cellphone with no problem. I have Verizon for my carrier.

cpc002: good idea, I will have my phone with me so I will try that!!!

capt_bj: another good idea I had thought of but thought I would look silly?? My hometown Wal-Mart has cheapy watches with 2 clocks on them I was thinking of buying one??

firstcruise05: you did not confuse me!!! You sound like me trying so hard to explain myself without confusing the people you are trying to help!!! Thank you, I get what you are saying!!!

madisonms: Thanks for the encouragement!!! I try so hard not to worry but it is really hard right now!!!;)

superjerryw: I knew that would be the answer, but thanks for trying!!!:)

Thanks everyone for your help,

Your captain will advise you to stick to ship's time - there are clocks allover the place so you won't have much trouble getting the right time once you're on board.

On pretty much every RCCL cruise I have been on the captain will likely sound the ship's horn with a long toot 1/2 hour before it is time to leave - it's very loud so chances are you'll hear it from where you are if you aren't already on board. Three toots, and you better run - that means they're leaving.

The only time I've seen them wait is if an excursion that was organized by RCCL was held up and running late. If you're out on your own, you're really on your own! :)

Enjoy your cruise - I'll be on the Mariner on Jan 2nd, great ship (been on her before).

The time might or might not change time with the time zones. I was on this cruise and we did not change the ship's time.

As to your tour, call, e-mail or write and ask THEM what they mean by 10am. Perhaps you are not signed up for the tour you think you are signed up for.

Archived