Booking 4 in a Suite for 5 (Elation)

MoniMommy

I have decided to treat myself and would like to upgrade to an extended balcony grand suite for the Aug 23 sailing of the Elation out of Jacksonville. According to Carnival's interactive deck plans all of the rooms of this type have a max occupancy of 5 people. When I did a mock booking for 4 they did not show up. However, when I entered 5 as the number of guests on my mock booking they all showed up. I called, and after about 20 minutes was told that this room needs 5 guests. Anyone have experience booking fewer people than the max in a room? Do you think a personal vacation planner (PVP) would be able to do more than what the Customer service phone reps could do? I booked a refundable rate so I can cancel and change up until final payment with no penalty.

My guess, would be those suites for 5 will not be available to a booking of 4 until very close to your cruising date if at all. They will not be willing to give up possible revenue by selling them this early to someone with 4 people when they can get 5. There aren't many of those cabins to start with so it may be too early. Maybe try back when it gets closer to your sailing date. Good luck.

If you are booked under a refundable deposit, book 5 people in the cabin (one a ghost name) right before final payment cancel the 5th person. Carnival won’t move you to a downgrade. And you won’t be subjected to the penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are booked under a refundable deposit, book 5 people in the cabin (one a ghost name) right before final payment cancel the 5th person. Carnival won’t move you to a downgrade. And you won’t be subjected to the penalty.

Thanks, that's a good idea. What do you think of this warning?

The stateroom category selected has an occupancy restriction. Changes in occupancy may result in a change in fare.

Based on this fine print, it may be best to add the 5th person. Then cancel right away. The fine print says that fare will be recalculated based on prevailing rates. So if I do so within 24 hours the rate will not have changed.

(b) Carnival reserves the right to offer promotional cruise fares that require a minimum occupancy requirement per cabin. When the booked cruise fare is contingent on a minimum occupancy requirement per cabin, cancellation by one or more Guests in a cabin may cause an adjustment to the remaining Guests booked cruise fare based on the prevailing and available rate at the time of the cancellation (“recalculated fare”). Final payment in full of the recalculated fares for all remaining Guests in a cabin is due by 11:59:59 p.m. EST on the eve before the start of the cancellation penalty period. Failure to make timely final payment in full of the recalculated fares by all remaining Guests in a cabin will result in automatic cancellation of the reservation for the entire cabin.

Yes, I think you’re right. Are there many rooms in that category?

Based on the deck plan there are 8 rooms of this type and all have a max of 5 persons. Based on a mock booking all 8 are available.

Hmmm, then perhaps you can cancel the 5th person right away. If all of the rooms have an occ restriction, there won’t be a rate to reprice against. Keep in mind, the 5th person rate is what will be cancelled. (Usually like $199 or so plus tax)

During high season sailings, Carnival imposes what’s referred as a Maximum Occupancy Restriction, which means that they will only sell a cabin if all beds will be filled. It’s a way for Carnival to fill the ship to full capacity and to maximize revenue during months of high demand when they can charge a premium for every single bed.

If you book for 5 and then cancel one, there’s a possibility that your booking will be flagged and you will be required to move to a different category and stateroom at current fares, specially if it’s before final payment. But your strategy may work if at that point in time Carnival decides that they will let you keep the stateroom and waive the restriction. It’s a gamble and all we can do is speculate, but only you can decide if it’s worth taking.

During the years, I’ve seen Carnival lift these Maximum Occupancy Restrictions closer to sailing if they see that certain categories are not selling well or if there are still plenty of cabins to sell. In your case, it seems like none of those Grand Suites have sold, so there’s a good chance that you will see that restriction lifted, but most likely it won’t be after final payment. You may need to wait and keep checking to see if this happens.

So you need to make a choice. Book the suite for 5 and cancel one, hoping that Carnival will let you keep it, or keep your current stateroom and wait until the restriction is lifted and you can upgrade then legally.

You may also call Carnival directly to see if you can get a manager to waive the restriction and approve the upgrade now.

Edited by Tapi