Glass blowing in Skagway?

riostoker

Has anyone done glass blowing at Jewel Gardens in Skagway. A friend did it and told me it was her and her 8 year old’s favorite thing they did on their cruise, so I booked it for myself and my girls (16, 14, 10). Now I’m second guessing myself thinking we should do something more Alaska and outdoorsy. We are doing the helicopter/glacier hike in Skagway as well, so we are getting in some Alaska/outdoorsy adventure that way. Anyway, have you done the glass blowing? Enjoyed it? Thought it was worth your time/money? My youngest is interested in panning for gold, so maybe that makes more sense?

We did the glass blowing last August. Was one of our favorite things we did on the cruise. I think your girls will be very educated on the glass blowing process. Each one can make a different color and designed ornament.

Depending on how many are in your group, it could take some time as they only have one person doing their ornament at a time. There were 6 in our group and took over an hour for the 6 of us to complete our projects. As it takes 24 hours for the glass to cool down so they ship your ornaments to your home as part of the price for the tour. It took about 4 weeks for ours to get to us.

We’re from Florida so my wife was very interested in seeing an Alaskan garden and she was not disappointed. We had time to wander the grounds to view the gardens and model train that ran through the area.

I know glass blowing can be done elsewhere besides Alaska, but we’re glad we did it.

Don