This will make you want to go back to college

Spence

Hmmmm - look at the intineraries . . . does this imply RCCL is going to South Africa and Asia? Or is this going to be a ship that'll be "retired" into this service?

And there's jobs available!

Just saw . . .

The vessel, which previously operated as a luxury ocean-going passenger liner, offers numerous amenities to provide a comfortable environment as it sails in and out of ports around the world.

If Navigator goes to the west coast in 2007 and Vision needs a new homeport, maybe this is what they're planning on doing with Vision. The $20,000 tuition is cheaper than what I'm paying now for my daughters annual tuition at a private Christian liberal arts college. I don't think I can get her to transfer, she graudates in 2007!

I was filling it out for a friend and it was fine until we got to the $20,000 fee. Ouch! Guess she's not going.

I was paying $5,000 a semester with dorm and board for a state school for my daughter 12 years ago, $20,000 doesn't seem that high now. Of course if I was paying it I may feel different, I know my reaction tot he $5,000.

• 1 month later...

The Semester at Sea has it's own ship. It was one of the former Royal Olmpic/Olympia ships that was purchased a couple of years back when the line went out of business. RCI is just supporting the program and so it is not directly associated with any of RCI's vessels.

Check out this web site, it's sponsored by Royal Caribbean

http://www.thescholarship.com/

Unless I'm missing it, nowhere does it say its sponsored by Royal Caribbean.

Also, there is another program out there that is similar to this called "Semester At Sea". www.semesteratsea.com. My daughter applied for that, but changed her mind and, instead, she's doing a semester in London.

Not to flame anyone...but since when did a semester abroad become a 'must do' for a college student?

In my opinion, not a "must do". But in my daughter's case, it is certainly making her a little more independent. I wish I had the opportunity to do something like that. I think its a great experience for her to get out of her "comfort zone" a little. We have a deal with her that we are only paying what it would cost if she stayed at her school and didn't go abroad. Anything above that, she has to pay. That alone is teaching her money doesn't grow on trees...LOL

Sherry: I'm a senior in high school, and I'm planning on doing an internship either in London or New York City for a semester. At the college I'm going to, a large percentage of the students study abroad or do an internship somewhere else. In journalism, which is my major, your experience matters more than your degree, and competitive schools know this and know that prospective students know this, so they promote these internship programs as a way to bolster your resume. In general, American students are becoming more worldly and more interested in cultural diversity. More and more kids are going to college than ever before, so both students and colleges they are looking for ways to make the college experience more unique and more valuable. A lot of it has to with the same reason people used to join the Peace Corps (and still do). At a time in your life when you are wanting to really "branch out", it seems like a great adventure, and a good way to get outside of yourself and help others. Not a ton of study abroad programs go to third-world countries, but many of them include volunteering at schools or in the community as a way to immerse yourself into the society where you are living. I just think its a great opportunity on many different levels, and since the mindset of colleges is shifting towards making studying abroad easier, students think (correctly), why not take the chance of a lifetime?

Sherry: I'm a senior in high school, and I'm planning on doing an internship either in London or New York City for a semester. At the college I'm going to, a large percentage of the students study abroad or do an internship somewhere else. In journalism, which is my major, your experience matters more than your degree, and competitive schools know this and know that prospective students know this, so they promote these internship programs as a way to bolster your resume. In general, American students are becoming more worldly and more interested in cultural diversity. More and more kids are going to college than ever before, so both students and colleges they are looking for ways to make the college experience more unique and more valuable. A lot of it has to with the same reason people used to join the Peace Corps (and still do). At a time in your life when you are wanting to really "branch out", it seems like a great adventure, and a good way to get outside of yourself and help others. Not a ton of study abroad programs go to third-world countries, but many of them include volunteering at schools or in the community as a way to immerse yourself into the society where you are living. I just think its a great opportunity on many different levels, and since the mindset of colleges is shifting towards making studying abroad easier, students think (correctly), why not take the chance of a lifetime?

Nice explanation...it makes more sense to me now.

Archived