Fear of Fish - Fear of Snorkeling

JLDMED

Going to Cayman in February on the PC cruise, and my hubby wants to try snorkeling. I know, I'm wierd -- but the thought of swimming amongst even "friendly", small tropical fish terrifies me. I don't think I can get in the water (although I CAN swim well) with my husband while he snorkels.

Couple of questions -- I would like to accompany him on the trip, and maybe take some pictures -- will they let me stay on the boat? I don't want to be goaded or teased into the water either -- if I decide to go in I will, but don't want the guides bugging me. Will they? How is the water there - will I get seasick while waiting and watching?

Can anyone relate with me?

Just got back from a Panama cruise that included a stop in the Caymans and we did the Stingray City snorkel excusion. We loved it, but I must say that you most definitely would not like the stingray part!!! They were bouncing off of us trying to get the food we were offering. I amost got knocked over and I'm not a small girl. Just the reef snorkeling part I think you would actually enjoy. There weren't a huge amount of fish and almost all of them we quite small and several feet from us. My mom went with my hubby and I and she wasn't crazy about getting in the water either. No one bothered her when she stayed on the ship and she had company. She finally did get in and cooled off for a short while and then got back on the boat. No one hasseled her or tried to talk her into going in. The water was perfect, not too warm and not too cool - just refreshing. So I urge you to go with him, take your suit and just enjoy the boat ride and the day and if you want to get in for a short time do so. Have fun!:D

I must say that no matter what you do it will be fun, but I hope you take the plunge and try it. Snorkeling is a great experiance especially if the fish come up to you. It is something you may regret not trying.

I've never been injured, and always been fascinated and thrilled by the experiance. Once you have tried it, you will be hooked.

No one on the boat will pressure you to get in, and you will have fun while the others are snorkeling, but why sit on the sidelines?

I've only snorkeled in Hawaii, but I had the same experience with my daughter, who was 8 at the time and very afraid. They had an option of a float, you could lay on them and it had windows where you could look down into the water and it worked out perfectly for her.

I'm not a real strong swimmer, nor an experience snorkeler, so I always opt for some type of flotation device, so I can concentrate more on seeing the fish, rather than try to swim, breathe right. Staying at the surface of the water, the fish don't really come that close to you.

No one has ever been pressured into the water on any of the snorkeling trips we've taken.

Going to Cayman in February on the PC cruise, and my hubby wants to try snorkeling. I know, I'm wierd -- but the thought of swimming amongst even "friendly", small tropical fish terrifies me. I don't think I can get in the water (although I CAN swim well) with my husband while he snorkels.

Couple of questions -- I would like to accompany him on the trip, and maybe take some pictures -- will they let me stay on the boat? I don't want to be goaded or teased into the water either -- if I decide to go in I will, but don't want the guides bugging me. Will they? How is the water there - will I get seasick while waiting and watching?

Can anyone relate with me?

JLDMED: My wife was like you. Scared of going in the water with "them things". I finally convinced her to get in the water at stingray city, and she loved it. In fact, she has gone snorkeling with me on every other trip since then. The stingrays are large, but they are not dangerous at all unless you step on one. The boat crew will give you food to give them, and if you choose to do that, the only trick is to let go of the food when their mouth is close to your hand. They feed by suction, and it is pretty strong. If you let your hand or arm get sucked in, you will have a large hicky to show for it, but that will be it.

Also, if you don't have any food on you, they will just circle around and leave you alone. You can also get in and out of the water any time you want. Don't cheat yourself of the experience, you won't regret it.

One more thing, at stingray city, the water is usually only about waist deep.

Enjoy.

I hate snorkeling (gave it a good try several times, still hated it,) but I went on a trip to Stingray City. It was fantastic! I'm not afraid of stingrays or other fish, so that wasn't a problem for me. Several people stayed on the boat, and no one gave them a hard time. One of the guides brought a stingray over for a lady who was interested in seeing one up close.

However, the water was nearly shoulder-deep for me (I'm 5' 8") and I got a face-full of salt water several times when I wasn't paying attention. THAT is what I hate about snorkeling or swimming in the ocean. It was still worth it to see the stingrays, though.

Lisa

We highly suggest you book with Captain Marvin or other private operators. There are many less people on their boats and the excursion is far superior to that offered on the ship. Check out the port of call board. They have their own website, and no charge is made if the ship cannot make port. We have gone with them several times, and they are wonderful.

Also, the water is typically shallow enough to take pictures. Usually, folks take pictures of each other, so you can be sure your hubby will get some great shots. I recommend the waterproof cheapies from Kodak or Fuji available for about $10 at Wal or K mart. You will also be able to see and photograph well from the boat.

Have fun,

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

i go on snorkle tours with dh all the time, I sun bathe and never touch water. I swim well, but hate salt water and as you, fish swarming is not my idea of fun. Crew generally understand and don't pressure you, on one tour, two of the guides and I were the only ones on the catamaran and I was introduced to the wonderful world of rum flavored drinks, by the time dh returned for lunch, I was a happy island girl. Go for it:D

I have only been on snorkle trips in Hawaii but no one has ever made me go in the water. My husband is a water baby so I just go along to keep him company. I love being on the boat and just have fun that way. Go on the boat and if you want to go in the water that is fine and if you don't that is good too. Enjoy. Pat

Really nothing to worry about. Most reef fish will steer well clear of you unless you have food in your hand, even the stingrays won't go near you unless there is a lot of squid in the water.

Kind of like pigeons in the park. If they can expect a handout they're friendly as hell, otherwise they hardly notice you.

And most trips have a person or two who doesn't want to go in, for a variety of reasons. Nobody will pay that any mind -

JLDMED:

I can understand how you feel. I don't think there's enough room in the ocean for me AND fish, and since they were there first, I choose to stay out. DH loves to snorkel, and I encourage him to go. On our last trip, in Hilo Hawaii he got me to get into the geo-thermal pond created by hot lava by telling me that the water was too warm for fish. Of course just as you get to the water's edge, there are signs about fish and eels that are in the water. I tried to be a good sport, and I went in up to my waist, but I was so freaked out about the fish that might be near me that I couldn't enjoy the experience. Next time, I'll go and stay on the boat if he wants to snorkel if there's some respite from the sun while onboard. I also don't like the idea of frying in the tropical sun.

My daughter feels the same way. I just got back from a cruise to Cayman, and rather than take a tour, I went snorkeling at Eden and Devils Rocks.

They can be accessed from the shore line (about 20yds out.) While the coral is not real healthy, there were a ton of fish, and because there are usually SCUBA divers bellow in grottoes, the bubbles come up through the reef and give a real interesting effect. I spent nearly an hour, and could have spent longer. There is no charge, and there is a SCUBA shop on the shore were you can rent equipment (or bring your own like I did.) No charge for access, and you could sit at some of the picnic tables and take pictures. I believe there is a bar right there also, if you want to imbibe a little.

They are located to the left of the location were the tenders dock, a couple hundred yards up the road.

Enjoy your cruise.

I would like to accompany him on the trip, and maybe take some pictures -- will they let me stay on the boat? I don't want to be goaded or teased into the water either -- if I decide to go in I will, but don't want the guides bugging me. Will they?

I can't imagine anyone would bug you to get into the water. They may encourage you, but a firm no should be all that's needed.

Of course, you always have the option to remain on the boat. In fact, sometimes the guides in the water may scoop up a fish or a stingray and hold it out for you to inspect or photograph from your safe perch on the boat.

You'll be somewhat limited in the photos that you can take if you remain in the boat, but you should be able to get some.

Do what feels comfortable for you, and don't let anyone "encourage" you to do differently.

Blue skies and have fun ...

--rita

Archived