Viking Ocean , Air from Canada

nancyshaw

I have read somewhere, but cant find it now, that Viking Ocean flies you a day ahead from Canada with no extra charge to make sure you reach the port on time.

Does anyone have experience with this?

We would be flying into San Juan in winter, so delays are a given. Going a day earlier is a necessity. I read that Viking does that as a guarantee .

If anyone else can find this in writing it would be much appreciated.

Guest debbiejohncruise

My TA says they charge an extra $100 for that. We are going to book our own flights as we missed our very first cruise with Viking in Jan this year because our flight out of Toronto to Charlotte was cancelled so we couldnt' get to our ship in San Juan and missed our cruise. So disappointed. Yes we booked with Viking Air. thankfully we have our own travel insurance and got our money back. Very nervous to book with Viking Air again. Yes the prices look tempting but we want to make sure we get on our ship. We always book to arrive the night before and we won't chance flying to San Juan ever again. We are booking to Miami for a cruise out of there because there are many more options to get there vs San Juan cruises. Deb

oh wow...that is horrible...

we are in San Juan overnight...so even if cancelled on the first day, we can still make it...I hope...

I DID read that they fly you from Canada a day ahead....but in the case of being in port for two days I dont think it would apply...

anyway I am searching where it said that, still cant find it...

yes in winter the chances of cancellations due to weather are great...

we also go in a day ahead for all our cruises....but we usually do our own air...this time it is included...and nothing given if you dont take it...so have to chance it...

it is our first with Viking Ocean, hope we are ok with flying to San Juan...

thank you for your input...

did you do another cruise with Viking O?

Guest debbiejohncruise

We paid Viking Air for the flight to San Juan (the cruise ship wasn't leaving till later the next evening and we thought we would be secure booking through them). We could not get to San Juan even by the next evening due to weather and lack of flights to San Juan. Air Canada and West Jet were not flying there because of the hurricane damage. It was also going to be our first cruise with Viking. So sad still that we didn't get to go on that cruise to the West Indies. We got our money back from our travel insurance and have now booked a cruise to Cuba with Viking (flight to Miami which we feel much more secure with than flying to San Juan) in Jan next year. We are definitely booking our own flights 2 days, yes 2 days ahead of the cruise. Deb

oh wow...that is horrible...

we are in San Juan overnight...so even if cancelled on the first day, we can still make it...I hope...

I DID read that they fly you from Canada a day ahead....but in the case of being in port for two days I dont think it would apply...

anyway I am searching where it said that, still cant find it...

yes in winter the chances of cancellations due to weather are great...

we also go in a day ahead for all our cruises....but we usually do our own air...this time it is included...and nothing given if you dont take it...so have to chance it...

it is our first with Viking Ocean, hope we are ok with flying to San Juan...

thank you for your input...

did you do another cruise with Viking O?

We will be flying from Florida to Vancouver, BC for an Alaskan cruise. We were automatically charged the $100 pp “air deviation “ fee to go a day early without us asking. What would be the result of asking to go 2 days early? Also, with going a day early and getting our own hotel, do they provide transport to the ship or do we? I’m okay with either, just wondering. Thanks to all the cruise veterans!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

hmm...well we will pay the 100...to get in on time..really didnt want to but .as long as the stop over is in Miami, it is ok...tons of flights from Miami to San Juan....and from San Juan there is direct flight home on Sats and Sundays.....

if your stopover is anywhere else it is more risky as there are fewer flights to San Juan...from Miami there is one going every hour...so now just have to get to Miami...can still be daunting in February from Southern Ontario.

I am reviving this topic.

We will be flying to San Juan using Viking air, which is included. It is only a 5 hour flight but seems that on a thursday there are not direct flights so we have to have a stop over. It will be a winter trip. So chances of delays, cancellations are very possible. What is the best way to proceed? Really dont want to go in a day before and have to stay in a hotel in San Juan.