Need advice on Caribbean vs Mexico (concerns and advice)

LandsB

The Caribbean is definitely the preferable itinerary, imo. The question is - is it worth a 24 hour drive, in each direction? Only the OP can answer that. For me, no way. But maybe I'd feel differently if I too were a non-flyer.

Just throwing it out there as another option - 14-day cruise from LA to Hawaii, with a stop in Ensenada.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think the longest cruise the OP has been on is 3 days. I'd be reluctant to recommend a 14 day cruise as their next step ;) Ease into those longer cruises, once they know they really LIKE cruising :)

OP, you sound like a very considerate, caring husband.

This HAS to be something that you will enjoy too. And is a 1600 mile road trip going to put you in the mood to enjoy much? If my husband suggested doing a 1600 mile road trip, so I could enjoy myself, I couldn't enjoy myself at all, worrying about him.

Have you discussed this with your wife? You seem to want to do this for her -- make sure it is something she wants <3

Thanks everyone for the additional responses...

From the ports mentioned, Grand Cayman is my favorite...

Thanks for the detailed info. Very helpful.

OP, you sound like a very considerate, caring husband.

This HAS to be something that you will enjoy too. And is a 1600 mile road trip going to put you in the mood to enjoy much? If my husband suggested doing a 1600 mile road trip, so I could enjoy myself, I couldn't enjoy myself at all, worrying about him. Have you discussed this with your wife? You seem to want to do this for her -- make sure it is something she wants <3

Thank you :-). She's not crazy about me driving, or asking her if she wants to go with me either on the way or the way back. Thanks for the water temp info too.

Years ago I could do a 6 hour drive standing on my head. Now I tire quicker, so it would be taxing. The allure of the picture and getting my wife there is what drives that consideration.

I really need to decide now whether I want to do a 7 day Mexico at the start of the summer, and then consider the Caribbean at the end, or to go with the Caribbean first.

The other decision we'll need to make is whether to take our two boys (12 and 14) with us. We love getting away for alone time, but also know they'd benefit from the experience.

Thank you :-). She's not crazy about me driving, or asking her if she wants to go with me either on the way or the way back. Thanks for the water temp info too.

Years ago I could do a 6 hour drive standing on my head. Now I tire quicker, so it would be taxing. The allure of the picture and getting my wife there is what drives that consideration.

I really need to decide now whether I want to do a 7 day Mexico at the start of the summer, and then consider the Caribbean at the end, or to go with the Caribbean first.

The other decision we'll need to make is whether to take our two boys (12 and 14) with us. We love getting away for alone time, but also know they'd benefit from the experience.

WAIT! WHAT????? You'd drive by yourself to Galveston and back? And your wife would fly? :eek:

Speaking as a worrier, there is NO WAY that I (as the flyer, with my husband driving BY HIMSELF) could enjoy that.

Have you asked your wife what she would prefer? Memories we make as a couple are (imho) more important that the locale where we make them.

First, THANK YOU ALL who responded to this thread. I just reread it and there are so much good feedback. I'm planning out a Mexico cruise now, with the plan being I'll do the Caribbean at the end of the summer or next year.

Plan both... one this year and then while on board book the other destination at a discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is interesting. I've never heard this. On Carnival, can I get better deals if I book them on the ship?

I'm going to Ensenada in about a month. I could wait to book the 7 day Mexico cruise if there's a way to get a better deal if I book it on the Ensenada cruise.

EDIT: I just found this. It says you can get good offers, but the example they give seem very similar to what I'm already offered:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1581

Carnival Cruise Line

In 2017,
introduced a new Future Cruise Vacation program, allowing passengers to book a new cruise at a promotional rate up to two weeks following their sailing.

The program gives passengers the option to either book the promotional rates onboard as before, or do it later, either online or through the FunHub app. Passengers who take advantage of the new program may combine Early Saver Rates with a $25 per person onboard credit up to $50 per stateroom, 50 percent reduced deposit requirement and a two-category upgrade. For those booking suites, the onboard credit is $50 per person up to $100 per stateroom, along with the other benefits.

The program has some limitations. Passengers won't be able to choose other rates, such as those for past guests or Friends and Family vouchers. Under the old program, onboard credit remained if you found a rate reduction at a later date; now, the credit will disappear if you rebook.