Epic Jogging Track

bluehawks47

Thank you! Who knows if I make it out there, but it's good to know what I'm getting in to. One positive... I assume it won't be very crowded.

LOL, no you won't have to worry about the jogging track getting crowded. Getting a treadmill in the fitness center would be more of an issue.

rvghe0.jpg

Thank you! Who knows if I make it out there, but it's good to know what I'm getting in to. One positive... I assume it won't be very crowded.

In my experience it can be hit and miss when it gets crowded or not. You'll find many people who like to walk the track and many who obviously jog. The worst thing is that when the crew does maintenance on the lifeboats, they will occasionally shut down part of the track. Overall, the track is disappointing.

My husband has also done a number of longer runs on the Epic's track - 9 or 10 miles each run. It's his favorite track on a ship to date since it doesn't as windy as on ships with tracks on upper decks. Sailed Carnival last week and the track was shut down once or twice due to winds and rains (it got quite slippery in the early morning hours).

5:00 am? I doubt I’ll be out that early, but I’m glad they don’t keep you from starting early. I was on a ship once that didn’t allow jogging until after 8:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On many NCL ships they do have open and closed times for the jogging track because they are usually over cabin areas. Sometimes people ignore the signs.

On many NCL ships they do have open and closed times for the jogging track because they are usually over cabin areas. Sometimes people ignore the signs.

They didn't on Epic. He doesn't ignore signs. Now, on Getaway/Breakaway/Escape, the jogging track is on the upper deck and it closes at 8 or 9 am. At that time, it just gets too congested with lounge chairs and people maneuvering to and fro the buffet, pool area, etc. People ALWAYS ignore this. You will have joggers up there getting irritated with people in their way when the joggers don't realize they are the one in the wrong.

Thank you for the information. I try to get my 5 miles in every day, so while this may be tedious and a bit boring, at least there is a place to run. I loathe treadmill running.

If you track your runs, it makes for a pretty funny looking GPS map photo in the middle of the ocean. My husband also hates treadmill running, so this worked for him. The most annoying part were the tight turns, which made it impossible to maintain any kind of pace, but he simply got the distance in and ignored the rest. During port stops he runs on land.

I’m not a fan of treadmills either and prefer an outdoor track. The only advantage of a treadmill on a cruise ship is the ability to change the incline. My real preference is a woodland hiking trail but that’s hard to find on a cruise. :D

That was funny about tracking exercise with the GPS on a cruise ship LrgPizza. I’ll have to try that.

I walked the track on the Epic last week. You will have a hard time running 5 miles in the morning because there are plenty of walkers. I was there between 9ish and 11ish. I'd say any given day there were probably 20 walkers on that track. It does get pretty busy, the walkers average age is probably 60 so the walking is slowish, and normally they are walking side by side......because they are on vacation. There were a few runners but they would have to run, stop when they are behind walkers then wait for the walkers in the opposite direction to pass, i could tell it was frustrating. It won't be easy unless you go at an off time.

If you track your runs, it makes for a pretty funny looking GPS map photo in the middle of the ocean. My husband also hates treadmill running, so this worked for him. The most annoying part were the tight turns, which made it impossible to maintain any kind of pace, but he simply got the distance in and ignored the rest. During port stops he runs on land.

We've only cruised Disney, and their track goes all of the way around the ship, but it does go through the engine room area (kind of interesting). It did get pretty windy at times but it was fairly empty. I ran every day around 10:00 a.m.

Good idea to run in ports, especially since ours is port intensive. My husband would probably have a heart attack if I said I was going to do that though. So, I'll stick with the ships running. It's good to hear that your husband enjoys running on the track on the Epic. As dumb as it sounds, I considered moving to a different ship when I had read reviews that the track area wasn't great. The thought of going 11 days without getting my daily run in is too much. Plus, that is my sanity so.....

We've only cruised Disney, and their track goes all of the way around the ship, but it does go through the engine room area (kind of interesting). It did get pretty windy at times but it was fairly empty. I ran every day around 10:00 a.m.

Good idea to run in ports, especially since ours is port intensive. My husband would probably have a heart attack if I said I was going to do that though. So, I'll stick with the ships running. It's good to hear that your husband enjoys running on the track on the Epic. As dumb as it sounds, I considered moving to a different ship when I had read reviews that the track area wasn't great. The thought of going 11 days without getting my daily run in is too much. Plus, that is my sanity so.....

He gets up to run at 5 or 5:30 AM to avoid the walkers.