Kids free to roam - what age?

AmyNcutt

We started cruising with friends when our daughter was 10, and their daughter was 11. First day Camp Carnival-- we don't like it, we're not going back a was the word.

So off they went exploring the ship. A good portion of their time was spend having their photos taken, then going down to the gallery to check on the results.This was before Serenity, so they knew where we were, and to check in a few times/ day. They actually knew where things were on the ship and helped us navigate our way around. We gave them a bit of freedom and to our knowledge , it was not abused.

All's well that ends well - they are now 23 and 24 and still exploring.

Would you let them roam NYC, Chicago, or LA on their own?
This isn't the same thing at all.

I'm planning to let my 11 year old walk the ship alone, but she will have her phone with her and we will have the Carnival app so we can communicate.

Sadly many things back then would get CPS called on us now... Society makes it hard to raise your child the way you would like. If someone sees you discipline your child in public your screwed!! My 2 year old is usually good in public but he is 2 and I am always so worried about him throwing a tantrum when we are out. And no I do not beat my child, a little pop on the butt over a diaper will not hurt him!!! There was an article the other day that research shows spanking and time outs cause PTSD... Really??? What is wrong with people today, they wonder why there are so many school shootings and riots...

We were at a furniture store the other day and he was mostly good but was getting a whiny and kept trying to get into their storage cabinets. Even then they workers thought he was an angel compared to other kids they usually have in the stores.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Granted, we've never been much for spanking (after about the age of 3, it didn't work with our kid anyway) but we have been known to drag his butt out of places and have a stern talk with him if he starts misbehaving. Which, being observant parents who've dealt with this for his entire life, we can tell the difference between him being a jerk who's acting out and a true meltdown due to sensory overload, tiredness, etc. I mean, to the rest of the world, the two things probably look EXACTLY the same, but we can tell the difference even if most people can't.

Why? Put the little snowflake in a Carnival camp. Why would they need to walk the ship alone? :rolleyes:

To answer the "why"...

Most kids in their "Tween years" (too old for toys, too young for boys as I refer to it)...do not want to spend a beautiful afternoon on a ship in a room the whole time when they can be exploring much more entertaining areas such as bball courts, pools, movies, food options etc....

I am familiar with children as i have raised a few....The Camps do not stay inside on beautiful afternoons, they are outside and spend much of their time on the Lido deck....Using your example all of what you mentioned above is in a pretty confined area, Lido and Sports decks. So i can see a snowflake being there with their parents close by. No 11 yr old should be "roaming" the ship. Its not acceptable

:'):')

Sorry not cruise related!

Seriously? We are from Kentucky and visited family in Connecticut July of last year. My now ex-sister-in-law and brother-in-law drove from New Jersey to see us. My ex-SIL, took my 12 yr old daughter to Starbucks and stopped for gas on the way back. My DD had to pump the gas because ex-SIL (almost 40 yrs old) didn't know how. I was shocked and thought she must have a pampered life! It's against the law for a 12 yr old to pump gas in Kentucky.

Just an FYI: By law, it is illegal for drivers to pump their own gas in New Jersey. All gas stations in New Jersey have attendants that pump the gas for you, so it stands to reason that a person from NJ might not know how to operate the pump. Pampering has nothing to do with it. I moved to Florida from NJ almost 15 years ago, and getting comfortable with pumping my own gas was a process(and I was in my mid thirties). Sorry for the off-topic post, but I felt a little enlightenment was needed here.

:loudcry:

I've been waiting many years for that first honest post of

"My children are such monsters that Grandma won't even watch them."

I'm not going to lie. My 10 year old is sketchy. When he is with his soon-to-be step brother who is 13, forget it. They can be MONSTERS! We don't leave them at home alone, let alone on a ship. We left them with our 20 year old daughter to go out with friends a few months ago, and ending up having to come home early because they were tormenting her and wouldn't listen. I certainly wouldn't let them roam the ship unsupervised. With that being said, my older two sons have been cruising since they were very young and when they were the same age, I often let them go places on the ship unsupervised as long as they stuck together. This is an individual choice based upon maturity and behavior. :)

Just an FYI: By law, it is illegal for drivers to pump their own gas in New Jersey. All gas stations in New Jersey have attendants that pump the gas for you, so it stands to reason that a person from NJ might not know how to operate the pump. Pampering has nothing to do with it. I moved to Florida from NJ almost 15 years ago, and getting comfortable with pumping my own gas was a process(and I was in my mid thirties). Sorry for the off-topic post, but I felt a little enlightenment was needed here.

Thanks! Wish it was that way here. I HATE pumping gas.