Norwegian Bliss AK cruise - OV or Balcony?

Hllb

We are planning on going to AK on the Bliss in 2019. There are 5 of us, so it's trickier. We currently have 2 reservations, one in a family ocean view that sleeps all 5 and one in two separate cabins (4 of us in a mid-ship balcony and 1 of us in a studio interior). I would really like the balcony for an AK trip since the cruising can be so scenic...but the cost is about $2K more. I'm hoping there will be a good sale to bring that cost down at least $1K. I know this is all personal preference and budget, but curious what others would do or have done in a similar situation.

You get Glacier Bay, right? I dunno how packed the observation deck will be, but it might spread the crowds out enough that you may not need your own private balcony. We can't say as no one has cruised Alaska on it yet.

Normally, I recommend a balcony for Glacier Bay because it's SOOOOO much nicer to have your own private, unobstructed place for viewing. And when it gets cold, you can just duck inside to warm up without losing your space forever. Outside of Glacier Bay, I feel it's warm enough that you can enjoy the balcony like any other cruise balcony.

I'm going to be in a Family OV because 1) we're not going to Glacier Bay this season but to a glacier I'm not that enthusiastic about, and 2) I decided to chance the observation room (or up on the railings) and hope there's enough space for everyone.

I'd probably lock something in now. Your cancellation isn't for quite a while, but Bliss prices are mirroring the new giant RCI ships and Disney. Prices are just cheaper the earlier you book. My Family OV has gone up about $2,000 since I booked.

I'd probably lock something in now. Your cancellation isn't for quite a while, but Bliss prices are mirroring the new giant RCI ships and Disney. Prices are just cheaper the earlier you book. My Family OV has gone up about $2,000 since I booked.

I do have both of them booked, both of them fully refundable until March something next year. I'm hedging my bets LOL. I hate having to do that, but with a family of 5, it's necessary. With two cabins, I need them right near each other which even a year and a half out, was very difficult to do.

Excellent! The deposits shouldn't be too bad. But yeah, I would totally recommend booking both like you did when you need either the limited Family OV or two cabins right next to each other. Demand is still going to be really high on the Bliss next year. The mega RCI ships still have sky high demand years later. I've been trying to go on them for years, but at their prices, the itineraries suck. The 2019 Bliss itineraries look very nice. You're going to have a blast.

I know this is all personal preference and budget, but curious what others would do or have done in a similar situation.

We would never sail Alaska without a balcony. We spend hours a day on our balcony watching the marine life (whales, dolphin, seals) every day.

You guys are totally hurting my wallet LOL....but there was a reason I wanted the balcony in the first place.

We are doing the Bliss May 2019 for Alaska - on the inlaws bucket list. DH and my 3rd cruise to AK. That said, we are all balcony. Same deck, Same room placement, 1 starboard, 1 Port....close, but not too close, and maximizes our viewing options. We (ok I, since I picked for everyone) got bump out balcony, offers a bit bigger balcony. for the same $$$

Alaska is ONE that you should have a balcony for...you can rotate people if you go the one 1 inside, 1 balcony. Are there younger ones that wouldn't care about balcony viewing anyway?

Three are kids aged 9, 14, and 15 at time of sailing

Personally, if I could (NCL allows it and I can trust the ragamuffins) throw them in the inside directly across from my balcony.

Is there a grandparent or 2? favorite aunt/uncle? anyone that you trust with your kids that would welcome the opportunity to split the cost with, to put a responsible adult in the room with the munchkins? offer to cover half cost of inside cabin only. They are then responsible for incidentals and what not. Does that make sense?

You can select the inside (only get 1 perk) perk as 3rd and 4th free, as a balcony, you get 2 perks, (maybe UBP and 3rd and 4th free). That might work.

Personally, if I could (NCL allows it and I can trust the ragamuffins) throw them in the inside directly across from my balcony.

Is there a grandparent or 2? favorite aunt/uncle? anyone that you trust with your kids that would welcome the opportunity to split the cost with, to put a responsible adult in the room with the munchkins? offer to cover half cost of inside cabin only. They are then responsible for incidentals and what not. Does that make sense?

You can select the inside (only get 1 perk) perk as 3rd and 4th free, as a balcony, you get 2 perks, (maybe UBP and 3rd and 4th free). That might work.

No 3rd or 4th free for the June 2019 sailings (at least not yet). No family to come either. I invited my sister but I don’t think they’ll come. I’d prefer the inside that sleeps at least 2 but the studio ended up maybe $300 less. But it’s still $2K more than the family ocean view. I’ve just got to hope for a sale lol.

Sailing on Bliss 9/22-29/18, second trip to Alaska. I agree balcony is the way to go for Alaska. We spent a lot of time on our balcony the first time we sailed Alaska. The observation deck looks beautiful, but if it gets as crowded as the one on our Panama Canal Cruise, you might miss some beautiful sights.

Edited by Itzmyn
duplicate info.