Where can we snorkel with turtles? OTHER than the turtle farm

MaureenNC

There is no guarantee at any particular site outside of the Turtle Farm. In hundreds of scuba dives over the years I would estimate seeing at least one turtle in about 20% of my dives. Turtles can be anywhere, with no particular concentrations noted.

Hi Maureen! Not sure why you don't want to go to the Turtle Farm, but I will tell you that swimming with the turtles there is one of my favorite Caribbean excursions - so much so that we're going back next month while cruising with our adult daughter so that she can experience it. Gliding through the water next to them felt like flying in formation, and I probably spent an hour in that part of the park. We take the city bus (really a van) there and back, so transportation is cheap.

We have snorkeled in Hawaii, in several places in the Caribbean, and on the Great Barrier Reef, and seen turtles all 3 places, but as other posters have said, when you're in the ocean, in the wild - there are no guarantees. If you really want to swim with wild sea turtles, I would recommend Akumal Bay south of Cancun, near Tulum. We stayed at the Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort and not only did we find a turtle every day, within 5 minutes of entering the water (excursions take people there on snorkeling trips) but there were literally more than 50 nests where the turtles had come ashore to lay eggs. Not sure if your cruise will take you to Cozumel, but you might be able to get an excursion there that would take you to Akumal Bay. We're looking forward to going back and staying in a hotel in the area at some point.

Your best bet (it's never 100%) to see turtles in the wild on a snorkel is to go to Spotts Beach on the south shore. You will probably need to rent a car to get there, though. Currents can be strong there, so please be careful. I have been there twice - once it was a rip-roaring current and nobody was in the water, the other time is was mirror-calm and wonderful to snorkel.

Here is the location on a Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/NvenzTUNr1r

Hi Maureen! Not sure why you don't want to go to the Turtle Farm, but I will tell you that swimming with the turtles there is one of my favorite Caribbean excursions - so much so that we're going back next month while cruising with our adult daughter so that she can experience it. Gliding through the water next to them felt like flying in formation, and I probably spent an hour in that part of the park. We take the city bus (really a van) there and back, so transportation is cheap.

We have snorkeled in Hawaii, in several places in the Caribbean, and on the Great Barrier Reef, and seen turtles all 3 places, but as other posters have said, when you're in the ocean, in the wild - there are no guarantees. If you really want to swim with wild sea turtles, I would recommend Akumal Bay south of Cancun, near Tulum. We stayed at the Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort and not only did we find a turtle every day, within 5 minutes of entering the water (excursions take people there on snorkeling trips) but there were literally more than 50 nests where the turtles had come ashore to lay eggs. Not sure if your cruise will take you to Cozumel, but you might be able to get an excursion there that would take you to Akumal Bay. We're looking forward to going back and staying in a hotel in the area at some point.

Thanks for the feedback! We are animal lovers, and knowing that the turtles are farmed for food just doesn't sit well. We have also been to Hawaii and enjoyed swimming with the turtles there as well. And we found a fabulous beach in St. Thomas where there were a ton of turtles and stingrays, and we spent several hours there gliding with them- it was outstanding!! We are hoping for a similar experience in Grand Cayman. My family has done a lot of snorkeling, and they are tiring of seeing the same fish, but the turtles are always exciting!

Your best bet (it's never 100%) to see turtles in the wild on a snorkel is to go to Spotts Beach on the south shore. You will probably need to rent a car to get there, though. Currents can be strong there, so please be careful. I have been there twice - once it was a rip-roaring current and nobody was in the water, the other time is was mirror-calm and wonderful to snorkel.

Here is the location on a Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/NvenzTUNr1r

Thanks for the tip- this is what I was looking for!! We might have to see how the day is going... I have a bad knee, so if it's a good day I might give it a try. But if not, I won't risk the currents. Fingers crossed!!

We are animal lovers, and knowing that the turtles are farmed for food just doesn't sit well.

Making the assumption that you're at the very least vegetarian then, there's a great vegan restaurant, Bread and Chocolate, in downtown Georgetown that you will have to stop in at for snacks or lunch...their food is awesome.

http://www.cafe.ky is their website, but this link - http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/bread-and-chocolate - has more details and a map. It's easy walking distance from the port.

I have a bad knee, so if it's a good day I might give it a try. But if not, I won't risk the currents. Fingers crossed!!

If the currents are flowing, then nobody should go into the water, whether they have a bad knee or good knee. Just get back in the car, turn around and head elsewhere.

In terms of Vegan (if you are), as you have a car, you could also try Vivo, which is up in West Bay. They have vegan, organic, gluten-free, vegetarian and dairy-free options. ( http://www.vivo.ky/)

Bread and Chocolate is also excellent and well worth a visit.

Thanks for the feedback! We are animal lovers, and knowing that the turtles are farmed for food just doesn't sit well. We have also been to Hawaii and enjoyed swimming with the turtles there as well. And we found a fabulous beach in St. Thomas where there were a ton of turtles and stingrays, and we spent several hours there gliding with them- it was outstanding!! We are hoping for a similar experience in Grand Cayman. My family has done a lot of snorkeling, and they are tiring of seeing the same fish, but the turtles are always exciting!

On their site, they say they are a conservation centre.

On their site, they say they are a conservation centre.

They breed and release turtles to the wild. They also sell turtle meat.

See this blog post for how conservation and farming are not mutually-exclusive: https://www.turtle.ky/news-listing/turtle-on-the-menu/

Turtle Farming also has a long history on the island, which has no natural fresh water, making farming a challenge. https://www.turtle.ky/about-us/history/

The debates about the right and wrong of this place are many, and easy to find with a Google search. I would suggest that each traveller make their own mind up about whether this is a place they want to visit or not.

• 2 weeks later...
What beach in st Thomas did you swim with the turtles? I love st Thomas but habe only been to (corki beach) I thinknthat is the name lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We did a private day sail in St Thomas and I requested to snorkel with the turtles...wish I could remember the name of the beach but there were SO MANY of them. It was a beach for the locals. We accessed it from the water so I'm no help. Ask a local (?). I swam for hours! It was not far from Crown Bay. Loved it!!

Okay, I looked it up and we went with Tribal Day Sails and they took us to the Krum Bay area. There is a review on trip advisor, a very accurate review, and the pick up location is terrible but the snorkel experience was very good.

Because glasses go behind the ear, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get a seal on a snorkel/dive mask.

Prescription masks are the best way to go, if you can't/don't want to go the contact lens route, but they are expensive.