Sanctuary "Rules" ???

cruisinsoooon

Removing myself from thoughtless persons is easy to do & my first line of defense.

It is very Disruptive to be in the midst of a group that is oblivious to others. If that happened in the Sanctuary, I would speak to the Attendant. If not corrected, I would go to Passenger Services & ask that my fee be refunded and why. Many passengers are simply naive about protocol on ships & are not informed by Staff.

Sorry but it's not a library. People should not have to whisper. I get it, playing music and yelling is rude there, as it is anywhere. I have used it a few times and did not feel compelled to be quiet. Had normal volume conversations with the person I was with. If someone shushed me for talking normally, I'd be pretty pissed and ask for a refund. It's vacation. People want to relax and enjoy themselves. If they have communally arranged furniture, isn't the implication it's for those wishing to socialize and chat rather than sit alone on a lounger? I interpret Princess's description to mean NO KIDS, that's the relaxing, tranquil part of it to me. Too bad they charge extra for this privilege when other cruise lines give it for free.

Agree, the communal seating is designed for conversation, the only alternative in that area would be playing the "quiet game" or "Who will blink first" game. If so, I sure hope their is some gambling involved to at least make the area interesting. If conversation was not wanted, partitions would be built between loungers, (well is that not a balcony?).

I think the library group is taking this to the extreme.

We have returned from 20 days on the Royal Princess and overall, it was a great time. We used the Sanctuary six times this cruise, and had used it on several cruises prior to this one. It used to be a quiet, peaceful, and restful place where people spoke in very low voices so as not to disturb others. This time, there was a lot of loud talking and laughing which we found disturbing. It was especially bad in the center covered gazebo where people would congregate on the couches and chairs and have group conversations. We thought that was inappropriate, but then couldn't find any rules/guidelines for the Sanctuary. Has anyone experienced such behavior there, or have you seen any guidelines?

It will vary on every cruise.

My understanding is the The Sanctuary is promoted as a tranquil, restful setting where quiet conversation is allowed. It does not need to be completely silent. As long as people use "indoor" voices, then that is fine.

Most Sanctuary visitors are there to nap at times, read a book, or listen through their headphones to music, podcasts, and audio book, etc. As long as others use quiet voices, it is fine to converse.

The problem happens when passengers who want to be in "party mode" become increasingly animated and boisterous. Almost all the pools, bars, and lounges are glad to accommodate louder boisterous passengers who want to join in an animated conversation.

I wouldn't speak to the Sanctuary attendants about passengers conversing in calm, quiet voices, but if a group of passengers becomes boisterous and increasingly loud, they may wish to move on to a bar or poolside. There should be some tranquil spaces on the ship and some places where boisterous, animated, louder social interaction is welcome. Something for everyone. :) JMO -- EBC

My understanding is the The Sanctuary is promoted as a tranquil, restful setting where quiet conversation is allowed. It does not need to be completely silent. As long as people use "indoor" voices, then that is fine.

Most Sanctuary visitors are there to nap at times, read a book, or listen through their headphones to music, podcasts, and audio book, etc. As long as others use quiet voices, it is fine to converse.

The problem happens when passengers who want to be in "party mode" become increasingly animated and boisterous. Almost all the pools, bars, and lounges are glad to accommodate louder boisterous passengers who want to join in an animated conversation.

I wouldn't speak to the Sanctuary attendants about passengers conversing in calm, quiet voices, but if a group of passengers becomes boisterous and increasingly loud, they may wish to move on to a bar or poolside. There should be some tranquil spaces on the ship and some places where boisterous, animated, louder social interaction is welcome. Something for everyone. :) JMO -- EBC

Well said!

Don’t want to hijack the OP’s post, but this got me thinking about the sanctuary as I have not been interested so far since it seems strange for me to pay to be on a part of the ship when I’m already paying to be on it. Tell me what I am missing! I may want to use it on our next cruise. I never even bothered to go look at it on my last two (and only) Princess Cruises. We have an upcoming Alaska cruise so I’m intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check the expected temps for the Alaska journey before you make a reservation for the Sanctuary. Remember that the Sanctuary is located very high up on the ship and it can be breezy up there.

On my first cruise to Alaska (late May), I paid a pretty penny for a place in the Sanctuary for several days. I almost froze! We have laughed ever since at the sight of me with gloves, hat, scarf, earmuffs, 2 blankets, and multiple cups of cocoa, “relaxing” in the Sanctuary. I shivered so much my book shook!

We were on the Royal for 40 days and recently got off so we were probably on when you were. We used the Sanctuary regularly - probably 6 days each 10 day cruise. Although there were groups that would meet in the gazebo area and chat I never noticed it to be very loud and for very long.

One thing about the cruises at this time is we encounter numerous days where we had rain. When this happened people would rush under the gazebo and sit and meet others. This meant many made friends with others that were booked in the Sanctuary. So the next day you would often chat again.

The biggest issue I had this time for the entire time was people who would have their lounger but insist on having their stuff on couches/chairs under the gazebo "saved" for their use. So if someone wanted to use a chair/couch it was "reserved". But hey this is not a new problem.

So the numerous days with rain did cause people to congregate under the gazebo.

We rarely were there as we prefer to lay out in the sun and we enjoyed chatting with others but personally I just want to sit and read or sleep. Putting on headphones helped to send a message time for me to rest.

The manager in the Sanctuary was very good and I am sure if it was a problem she would of dealt with it.