Ketchikan float plane recommendations... land on a glacier?

boohoyal

Hi there,

We are planning a float plane trip for our day in Ketchikan. My husband wants to actually "plant his feet" on a glacier at some point during the cruise and I'm wondering if we can do this with our float plane trip. We're looking at the Island Wings' Misty Fjord / Glacier Combo Tour. Does anyone know if you actually get out on a glacier during this trip? It's a good bit more expensive - $385pp vs $295...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Float planes don't land on glaciers - the surface is far too irregular for anything except a vertical landing or takeoff without horrific safety implications. Even ski-equipped planes designed for (ant)arctic operations need a nice consistent snowfield to land on; floats are for water, not ice & snow. If you read up on the tour description you're considering (or any other plane-based glacier viewing) they will use language like 'scenic viewing' and 'overflying' with no implication of setting down (Island Wings specifically says the +Glacier version has 'the same stop excursion' as the tour without glaciers.

In short, helicopter excursions are required if you want to set down on a glacier.

I did a flight with Paul from Mountain Flying a couple of years ago from Skagway and we landed in a high pass overlooking Glacier Bay at 6 or 7 thousand feet. Spectacular. Paul mentioned it was one of his favorite spots but it was the first time he had landed there in a few years.

(his plane was equipped with skis)