Barcelona on Oct. 12 - Hispanic Day

Luvsparties

We will be arriving in Barcelona early the morning of October 12 for a couple of days pre-cruise. I understand that this is a National holiday. Will taxis be plentiful at the airport or would it be better to book a car service? What can we expect for the day -- will there still be plenty of things open, ie. restaurant and shops?

Thanks for your input!

Two years ago, we disembarked in Barcelona on Oct 12th and were a little concerned about what would be opened. We decided to do a tour with Spain Day Tours of Barcelona and Montserrat. We visited Sagrada Familia (only on the outside but it was open to the public) and Park Guell which was opened. We also saw a few other places that were open to the public ( I can't remember what they were, we only saw them from the outside) In Montserrat everything was opened.We returned to our hotel and although some restaurants were shut, we had no problem finding a place to eat. I maybe wrong but I think if you were in a tourist area like Las Ramblas most things would be opened.

Taxis are plentiful all year round. Same goes for other forms of transportation.

Shops, as well as some restaurants, will be closed as it's a holiday, but don't fret, there'll still be plenty of restaurants open to grab something to eat :)

As per things to do, treat it as a regular Sunday: museums, parks, attractions, escapades.... but don't expect any special celebration as this is Catalonia and our National Day is Sept 11th. Besides, you might (or might not) be aware there's quite a bit of animosity between Catalans and Spanish and since this is an "imposed" holiday by the Spanish, we don't celebrate it and we don't anything special -as opposite to Sep 11th where you can find a range of activities, including heritage displays (castellers, sardanes, etc.), open-air music performances and parades.