antigua beaches?

josplu1

my wife and i are going to be stopping in antigua in a couple of weeks on the liberty. we are wondering if anyone has any comments about ft. james beach? what beaches are good and easy to get to? we want or i guess prefer to go on our own. the cruise offers a 4hr stop at ft james for $35per person is that worth it? or a rip off? it does include the use of all amenities at this beach bar and resturant they take you to including a free drink.........i believe the name of the place is Miller’s by the Sea Beach Bar & Restaurant. thank you for any ideas

When we were there back in March, we went to Runaway Bay, and loved it! The cab fare for the 3 of us was around $10 each way (the driver even arranged a pick up time with us, though don't worry- there isn't any problem getting a cab back from there!), and the beach wasn't totally clogged with other tourists (but there was a beautiful wedding on the other end, with about 6 people in attendance!). There is a quiet beach bar there, with restrooms and some food, and one of the waitresses will bring you buckets of local beer right where you lie on the beach - even if you aren't that close! There were very few local peddlers, selling handmade palm frond baskets (made right in front of you!), and jewlery - very friendly, not at all pushy. We also went horseback riding on the beach, and up to the remaining base of a nearby 17th century sugar mill, which was $15 for 40 minutes ($30 for a bit over an hour). The men operating the riding stand were a pair of local jockeys, using very friendly and well cared for retired racehorses, just to the left of the bar/restaurant. It was the best beach we could have possibly imagined!

nCruise2216antiguarunawaybeach-1-vi.jpg?500375

nawaybeachBush2makingusbaskets-1-vi.jpg?500375

igosinfrontof17thcentsugarmill-vi.jpg?500375

Archived