Unbelievable!!

cruzeluver

Well here's someone else complaining to the wrong people!

Yesterday I found a complaint on another web site about Carnival that had me madder then a wet hen. A woman and her husband were in Belize on a shore excursion. As they were about to return to the ship, their tour guide offered the husband a pack of cigarettes as a souvenir. The husband didn't smoke but he took them to be polite. When they got back to the ship the husband was selected for a random search. When the agets found the cigarettes they discovered marijuana inside the pack. The husband was arrested and taken to jail.

Now I understand the wife being upset, but to demand that Carnival refund their entire cruise purchase is rediculous! It was local customs officers that detained him, not Carnival personnel. So now she is bad-mouthing the cruise line on the internet, trying to paint them as a bunch of unfeeling, greedy slobs. Canival did nothing wrong!!!

I agree that this sounds urban legendish. I'd like to see the originial post but still think it's made up. If, Heaven forbid, it is not made up I think the person accepting the "cigarettes" needs a HUGE lesson in common sense. I mean, come on, does this person not know the word "no"? It might've even made a little more sense if the person accepting smoked, but good grief. I'd hate to think I was so bogged down in co-dependence that I couldn't say no to someone offering me cigarettes if I didn't smoke.

Sigh.

When I first read it, it sounded kind of strange to me as well. But this woman goes into htis long, drawn out story about the deplorabe conditions at the jail, how her husband was threatened by another prisoner etc.

If she's making the whole thing up, then double shame one her!

Was it a shore excursion offered by Carnival? If it was, Carnival has to shoulder some of the blame.

How does Carnival shoulder some of the blame for the stupidity of the idiot that accepted the smokes. Unless Carnival was part of a conspiracy then the person has to accept the results of his own actions. The sooner we as a people quit blaming someone else for our own problems the better off we are going to be.

Was it a shore excursion offered by Carnival? If it was, Carnival has to shoulder some of the blame.

Huh??? If this is true (which I doubt it is), this person is an ADULT, and should know better!!! In airports, they scream over the intercom 100's of times NOT to accept anything from strangers. As kids, we are told over and over again not to accept anything from strangers. Sometimes there are consequences. As a society, we really need to learn RESPONSIBILITY for our actions and stop trying to get everyone else to take the blame for our stupidity. When you are in a foreign country, and you accept something from someone you don't know, you are an idiot, plain and simple... have fun in jail!! What a moron!!!

When I first read it, it sounded kind of strange to me as well. But this woman goes into htis long, drawn out story about the deplorabe conditions at the jail, how her husband was threatened by another prisoner etc.

If she's making the whole thing up, then double shame one her!

The best urban legends, are those that have the minute details. Makes them sound more plausible. :(

How does Carnival shoulder some of the blame for the stupidity of the idiot that accepted the smokes. Unless Carnival was part of a conspiracy then the person has to accept the results of his own actions. The sooner we as a people quit blaming someone else for our own problems the better off we are going to be.

It seems to me that Carnival shouldn't partner with a shore excursion company whose employees are involved in criminal activity.

It seems to me that Carnival shouldn't partner with a shore excursion company whose employees are involved in criminal activity.

LOL, read your contract :rolleyes: Once again, people not accepting personal responsibility and making assumptions that will land them in jail. Do you believe that every company you do business with, does background checks on their affiliates employees??? Seriously? First of all, there is no telling if this was a Carnival shore excursion, but even if it was... you are in a foreign country... at least PRETEND to have some common sense :rolleyes:

That presumes that Carnival knows the excursion company employs those that are involved in criminal activity. Using that logic Carnival shouldn't go to ports where there is Criminal activity. I think that would eleminate all ports including U.S. ports.

And every company you have ever done business with...you know every minute detail concerning every employee of that company and you can say with 100% certainty and accuracy that none of those have ever been

involved in criminal activity. The answer is NO, you do not and you can not. It is unreasonable to expect Carnival to do so as well.

What is reasonable to expect is that we as ADULTS, learn to act as

ADULTS and that we learn to accept RESPONSIBILITY for our OWN ACTIONS! If in fact this situation did happen, the only person who

bears responsibility in it, is the man who accepted the "gift" from a

stranger!

The story should go: "My husband, who doesn't smoke regular cigarettes, got an opportunity to buy some really bitchin' weed at a great price while on one of Carnival's sponsored excursions, but WE GOT CAUGHT ! ! What can I do ? ? Who can I blame ? ? Can anyone tell me where there is help for STUPID PEOPLE LIKE US? ? Does anyone have the number of Morons Anonymous ? ?" :rolleyes:

Unfortunately this is all too common. Many foreign countries, especially Mexico, get tired of being blamed for our drug problem. So when they nail one of their local dealers, they frequently give him/her a chance to reduce their sentence by selling some crap to an American and then pointing him out to the authorities. The local newspaper reads, "American caught trying to smuggle drugs into the country". Works for them ! !

Isn't it amazing how far fetched the above is for some people?

It makes me happy to see that there are still some sane and sensible people left on the planet, LOL.

This one was good for a laugh and an example of how to act stupid. I don't count myself as those in the "brilliant" column, but when you read a story like this it moves me over at least next to Einstein.......man, if this story is true he gets the crown for the King of the idiots.

Mercy.

I'd be willing to bet the guy BOUGHT the Marijuana and then when he got caught, the amazing story of the "donated cigarettes" was authored.

Unless this is an urban legend as previously mentioned.

Archived