Turquoise or silver in Costa Maya

deltableh

I did some searching, but the last post about such things seems to be 11 years ago.

My girlfriend and I have a port stop upcoming in Costa Maya, and we'd love to do some shopping, especially to get her mom some silver jewelry, either with turquoise or opal in it. Does the port-section of Costa Maya have that? Or would we need to head elsewhere? Additionally, my girlfriend is concerned about getting indigestion with the Mexican water; what sort of food can we get that won't be bothersome? I've read a lot about a really good bakery nearby, but I admit my chemistry isn't the best; will baked goods make with Mexican water cause issues for us?

Thanks in advance, and I warn, I may have some follow-up questions.

you can get sick from anything in a strange place-

its not just the water that will cause it.

your body is used to the bacteria that is prevalent in your area, when you travel there is different bacteria that your body is not used to. this is what will usually cause the issues.

its not that the water/food is 'BAD", its just that its different.

if you make it to the malecon stop by Jamies blue reef, some of the best we food we had all week, Including the MDR.

try the ceviche if you like that sort of thing

its normally a all inclusive but i beleive he will do normal order as well.

the jewelry will be the same just about anywhere you go.

Everywhere in the Costa Maya area they use bottled water and it is safe to drink. Even the ice is made with bottled water.

Costa Maya is not known for any good deals on jewelry and you would be better off shopping for it in Cozumel if you are going there.

And the bakery and coffee at Kariltas is excellent.

In addition to Blue Reef, places along the malecon like Tropicante, Krazy Lobster, Barefoot, Pez Quadro and Blue Kay have good food and service.

For jewelry, the port has the standard Tanzinite and Diamonds International rip off places you'll find in every port.

As tallyho mentioned, best to shop in Cozumel and I suggest heading downtown to the shops along the waterfront and around the plaza. But avoiding the kiosks (quality unknown). Los Cincos Soles generally has decent quality jewelry. And there's a small shop on the northwest corner of the plaza that specializes in silver and had tourquoise.

Everywhere in the Costa Maya area they use bottled water and it is safe to drink. Even the ice is made with bottled water.

Costa Maya is not known for any good deals on jewelry and you would be better off shopping for it in Cozumel if you are going there.

And the bakery and coffee at Kariltas is excellent.

In addition to Blue Reef, places along the malecon like Tropicante, Krazy Lobster, Barefoot, Pez Quadro and Blue Kay have good food and service.

For jewelry, the port has the standard Tanzinite and Diamonds International rip off places you'll find in every port.

As tallyho mentioned, best to shop in Cozumel and I suggest heading downtown to the shops along the waterfront and around the plaza. But avoiding the kiosks (quality unknown). Los Cincos Soles generally has decent quality jewelry. And there's a small shop on the northwest corner of the plaza that specializes in silver and had tourquoise.

Much thanks on the information that people cook with bottled water. Additionally, we will be going to Cozumel, but are doing the Chichen Itza trip through our cruise line (as a hobbyist photographer, I can't say no to that excursion; it's part of my photographic bucket list), so I don't imagine we'll have a ton of time in Cozumel-proper to shop, sadly. I'll keep an eye out for any of your named spots, though, if we do.

Also, I avoid Tanzanite and Diamond's International basically at all costs. This is my first cruise without my parents, hence the questions, but I've been on probably 15 or 16 cruises overall previous to this one.

• 2 weeks later...
I did some searching, but the last post about such things seems to be 11 years ago.

My girlfriend and I have a port stop upcoming in Costa Maya, and we'd love to do some shopping, especially to get her mom some silver jewelry, either with turquoise or opal in it. Does the port-section of Costa Maya have that? Or would we need to head elsewhere? Additionally, my girlfriend is concerned about getting indigestion with the Mexican water; what sort of food can we get that won't be bothersome? I've read a lot about a really good bakery nearby, but I admit my chemistry isn't the best; will baked goods make with Mexican water cause issues for us?

Thanks in advance, and I warn, I may have some follow-up questions.

Last year we went to Tropicante and the owner Steve Uhl directed us to one of the local silversmiths. He is on the strand there near Tropicante. His work was intricate, some unique and high quality. I therefore suggest you try Tropicante and ask Steve for an introduction to the Silver place.I wear one of his pieces every day. It's over 3.5 oz of silver bracelet.Silver.jpg

Edited by Driveshaft

Last year we went to Tropicante and the owner Steve Uhl directed us to one of the local silversmiths. He is on the strand there near Tropicante. His work was intricate, some unique and high quality. I therefore suggest you try Tropicante and ask Steve for an introduction to the Silver place.I wear one of his pieces every day. It's over 3.5 oz of silver bracelet.Silver.jpg

f19d9079ce86195f0565ea5a4a03926e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would not even consider buying jewelry in Mexico. Everything they sell is made in China or some similar country in bulk. They will tell you its hand made, one of kind, etc. Trust me its junk junk junk! Having said that, I do buy plenty of souvenirs but I know what I'm getting and I haggle for everything.

• 3 months later...

Too late for the OP but we have purchased lovely turquoise and silver jewelry in Cozumel, once in town and once right in the shops near the port. Also really nice "opal" and silver. Not sure if the opals were real but it sure is pretty.

Over the years, we have sailed to Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel in the Western Caribbean 10+ times.

I spent a fair amount of money on silver early on in Cozumel and Belize. All of the "silver" I purchased in Cozumel turned yellow or was manufactured with a high gloss coating. Money down the drain. Never again. Yet looking at the pieces at port they were beautiful.

I purchased silver earrings as a present at the pier in Belize. They took the earrings in the back to "wrap them up". I should have known better. When I returned to the ship, the earrings they gave me were not anything close to silver. They were junk. I keep them to remind myself not to be taken in by what looks shiny, bright and not too expensive while in these ports.You really need to know what you are buying. If you search, you find so many purchases were more expensive when compared with purchased made in the US.

I do not consider Costa Maya a port where I would purchase anything except tourist junk (I have enough) and OTC medicines if I run out of something.

If you know what you are looking for, you can get good prices in the US or with reputable online purchases. You can even return something which likely will not happen in these ports.

Some savings are not worth it.

I know this is an older post, but others may read as first time pax to the area.

Food is another thing and as others have posted, there are tasty treats to be found!

Anywhere to find gold jewelry in Costa Maya and Roatán?

I did reply on silver but will reply to you based on our many, many trips to Costa Maya and Roatan.

Neither are ports that feature fine gold. The ports in the Eastern Caribbean are better for finding true quality gold jewelry.

We have purchased from several shops that are found throughout the islands. Little Switzerland is one. Havensight in St. Thomas and the quality shops along the main or side streets in St. Thomas are possibilities. St. Maarten has good quality jewelry.

In no way does Costa Maya and Roatan compare.

Roatan has lovely island made mahogany pieces and other crafts. Costa Maya (at the gated port area) has tourist items and nothing of good quality locally made items.

Both feature the ship sponsored big name jewelry stores and I steer clear of them.