Just did Eli's ECO Tour and Loved it!

jeffyd

We just came off of a 10 day cruise on HAL's Maasdam and when we were in Antigua we did the Eco Tour. It was the highlight of our cruise. Ed was a great tour guide and was very knowledgeable about the island. Loved the climb through the caves at Hell's gate (be careful, those rocks are sharp!) and the hike on Bird Island (great views). Enjoyed the snorkeling and the great lunch they serve as well as the fruit juices and rum punch. It's one of the best excursions we've ever done. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

We just came off of a 10 day cruise on HAL's Maasdam and when we were in Antigua we did the Eco Tour. It was the highlight of our cruise. Ed was a great tour guide and was very knowledgeable about the island. Loved the climb through the caves at Hell's gate (be careful, those rocks are sharp!) and the hike on Bird Island (great views). Enjoyed the snorkeling and the great lunch they serve as well as the fruit juices and rum punch. It's one of the best excursions we've ever done. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Jeffyd - My mom and I were with Eli's the end of November and had a blast. I agree with you this was one of our favorite excursions on the trip. Ed, Shamil and Tony were all great hosts!

Grumpy8,

I believe their website that I posted above has their rates, but we paid $90 per person since we paid in cash. Based on other excustions Iv'e taken I felt that was well worth the money. You get an all day (10 AM to 4 PM) excusion on their boat, you get a hot (very tasty!) lunch of chicken, pasta, salad, and bananna bread. Also unlimited non-alcoholic drinks (water, sodas, juices) as well as rum punch on the sail back. You stop at 3 places, one to snrokel, one to climb bird island and one to climb Hell's gate. You can opt at each of those to just lounge in the boat, swim, or snorkel. You also get a view of the island that you can't get from a land based excursion as well as all the history they share with you. All in all, I think it's a good deal for your money.

Grumpy8,

I believe their website that I posted above has their rates, but we paid $90 per person since we paid in cash. Based on other excustions Iv'e taken I felt that was well worth the money. You get an all day (10 AM to 4 PM) excusion on their boat, you get a hot (very tasty!) lunch of chicken, pasta, salad, and bananna bread. Also unlimited non-alcoholic drinks (water, sodas, juices) as well as rum punch on the sail back. You stop at 3 places, one to snrokel, one to climb bird island and one to climb Hell's gate. You can opt at each of those to just lounge in the boat, swim, or snorkel. You also get a view of the island that you can't get from a land based excursion as well as all the history they share with you. All in all, I think it's a good deal for your money.

Sounds like a nice trip. I did something similar in Barbados. We drank and eat and snorkel etc.

Grumpy8,

Also if you book online you save 10% which I thought brought the price down to $81.00 per person!

We did this tour in 2004 and did not find the climbing to be difficult. I would not consider it to be extensive. It is best to wear water shoes to prevent slipping. It is not a long climb. If she is not using a cane she should be able to do and could hold someones hand for support. The swim to hells gate is not far but the rocks are sharp once there. Some chose not to climb there but relax in warm pool at bottom. Also some did not go for climb at bird island but stayed along beach. There is something for everyone to enjoy even if you do not snorkle. We found this to be one of our favorite tours and are booked for Elis extreme in Feb 2006.

We've done Eli's Eco tour 3 times - it's been our favorite all time excursion since we discovered it several years ago. And we're booked for the new X-treme in under 2 weeks. Can't wait! :D

His website is http://www.adventureantigua.com, and you'll find a full description of both tours, as well as the on-line booking page. I just checked, $90 per person is the price after the 10% on-line booking discount, but I do believe (I'm pretty sure I recall this correctly), that Eli hasn't raised his price since we first did this excursion - like I said, 4 years ago. And the day is worth every dime! I've got a full description of the day in a post I started quite a while ago, click here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44194.

While there are 3 stops during the day, there are always people who opt to stay on the boat, sun, talk, drink :D or whatever, instead of climbing, snorkeling or hiking. Everyone whose been with us has thoroughly enjoyed their day, whether they've done all the activities or relaxed on board. Neither hike or the climb are exceedingly stressful. I've seen smaller kids and older folks successfully do both. However, Shoos3, if you're concerned about your wife's ability to do those activities, I'd urge you to contact Eli and ask his opinion. Hell's Gate is the most strenuous part of the day - she might opt to stay on board for that, and try the Bird Island hike (it's actually a 5-10 minute thing up, and another 5 minutes down), or stay on board.

I'd be glad to answer any questions, but I'm sure if you decide to book this, you'll have a blast!

Jodi

Shoos3,

This is just my opinion and I don't know how active your wife was before the surgery, but I thought the climb at Hell's gate was kind of tough. My 9 year old daughter did it but took a long time with a lot of hand holding. The rocks are very sharp. Even if we hadn't done that, the trip is still well worth it. The other climb was pretty simple. I don't want to persuade you from not doing it, but just trying to be realistic about it. It's always tough to explain something like that to someone when you don't know what their "standard" is for climbing/exercise. No matter what, do the excursion, you'll love it.

MLSonk,

On our trip there were two kids I guess to be about 5 or 6 years old and I think they enjoyed it. They didn't do Hell's gate but did Bird Island. I believe at Hell's gate they just swam in the water and relaxed. It is such a great trip I'd highly recommend you go and take your kids. Enjoy!

In response to your Question, according to their Website ( Link Below ) the Eco Tout boat is approved for 49, but they hold it to only 25 people for comfort.

The Xtreme Circumnav boat is smaller and it probably takes fewer. I'm sure they will give you that info from emails.

We have just booked the Xtreme for an April 25th date and I found the Email responses to be excellent and timely - usually within a couple of hours during the day. Hope this helps.

http://www.adventureantigua.com/

• 4 months later...

Dumb question: do they have an e-mail address? I looked for it on the site and didn't see it. I have a call in to them, but thought it might be cheaper for them to get in touch with us on the internet. Are the prices all the same regardless of age? We'll have two 2-year-olds and a 5-year-old with us. Thanks so much for the info. You guys are an enormous help!

Cindi--It's a great tour, but keep in mind that it is a full day. The 5 yr old would probably be able to handle it, but if you are adding 2 two-year olds, YOU will be in for a full day of baby-sitting. I would not recommend it for 3 kids that young.

If I had 3 kids that young, I would prefer to just find a nice beach and spend the day. Or, maybe even stay on the ship. Eli's boat is relatively large for the number of people on the tour, but you still bump into people. Keeping track of 3 kids, particularly if they can't swim, might be more of a hassle than it is worth. You will not be able to do the Bird Island or Hells Gate hike.

I would choose a different option, IMO.

• 2 months later...

This may have been asked, but I may have over looked it. I will be on the Liberty next year and was woundering If the offer the Eco tour on the ship and if they do what is the price, and do they do the samething as the reguler tour does? Would it be cheeper to go on line to sign up for it? I have a small group that may be instead. Thanks for your help!

This may have been asked, but I may have over looked it. I will be on the Liberty next year and was woundering If the offer the Eco tour on the ship and if they do what is the price, and do they do the samething as the reguler tour does? Would it be cheeper to go on line to sign up for it? I have a small group that may be instead. Thanks for your help!

It is not offered through the ship, but if it was, would cost more than you booking on your own directly. I highly recommend the tour - it was one of the best I have done. I was on the April 1, 2005 Liberty sailing.

Some pictures I took:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/antigua_adventures.htm

Archived