Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Yes, I was surprised too. Ricky's dress looked nice, but to me didn't seem to warrant all the "oohs and ahhs" it got from the judges. (Maybe it was just so much better than anything else he's done so far???)

Many times I get the feeling we're not seeing the same thing as the judges. I have to agree that it was probably the best that Ricky has done, but not that great, I would have picked Rami or Sweet P's dress over his. I really think the win should have gone to Christian this week, he was the only one who actually designed a "look" and not just a little dress. The decision is not just the judges, the producers also get involved so maybe they're keeping Ricky for some pathetic reason.

Although Victorya deserved being in the bottom, I think it was time for Chris to go.....again, or Ricky, either one would have been fine with me. For the last couple of weeks I've become less and less impressed with Victorya, mainly her attitude even though I liked some of her designs. But I really thought Chris and Ricky would have gone before her.

My choices have changed now and I'm pulling for Rami, Jillian and Christian, but I do love Sweet P as well. It's especially hard waiting for the outcome as we all know this was taped months ago and it is over for all the designers competing!

My husband and son have even gotten in on this series, kind of funny :D . They started off watching laughing their rear ends off at the drama of it all, now they have their favs and definite opinions about the contestants.

Oi!

So, another bad communication from beginning to end on the producer's part.

The designers were given a warehouse full of demin (and cotton, which no one used) of different colors (Pants, jackets, etc.) and were told this was their challenge, and I quote:

"create an iconic denim look of your choice that captures the spirit of originality and creativity of the 501 legacy"

Okay, so read that again, just to put it in your head as to what the designers were told was the challenge.

When it get's to judging, the judges then base on what people would most likely wear, and more importantly a major factor (never told as a judging criteria to the designers) that incorporating 501 "icons" (button flys, yellow thread, red labels) into the design weighs heavily on the 501 designer's decision!

The designers are thinking that they have to re-interpret some kind of "iconic" look or style - so a few are doing "little black dresses", Christian is doing "motorcyle/motocross" style, Sweet P begins with a "wedding dress", and two do a version of a "trench coat" - hmmmm.

But in the judges mind, they mean "iconic" as they are doing a look that will incorporate and repsresent "iconic" levi's styling specifically.

Duuuuuh! Good job producers!

(Nobody knew this apparently except for the 501 designer and she told the judges at panel that's what she was looking for).

So naturally, it's another "what were the judges thinking" and I'm giving you some background info I found out to at least try to explain it.

Again, bad bad producers. This is definitely at least the second time this year, that what the designers are told is the challenge - is not what the judges are told (see the Candy episode for another example).

So how can the designers keep their balance when the rules and criteria keep changing from day to day?

That being said, there WERE some looks that could totally "denim in the dining room" on some of the cruise lines!:D

And the winner is.....

Ricky?!?!?!?!

raterunway_03_409.jpg

It's fine, it's okay...

Original and creative?

Best fit ever? (uhmmm, I saw on the runway that the skirt was riding up and wrinkling, and you see it even more in the pics here)

Oh! He used the button fly up the front, so according to the levi's lady that made it the most "levi's iconic"...

Just so you know.

(I also won't be surprised if this was a "subtle" push by the producers to justify his not getting kicked out each week - "See, we were right about Ricky's amazing talent all along. We told you he was better than Kit, Kevin, and Chris!")

Not to be hating on him, but if he's going to bring it, then I wish he would have broughten it weeks ago to justify his staying.

(And yes that is completely incorrect grammar above, I'm quoting teen movies there!;) )

Victorya's was my least favorite outfit this week so I was not upset when she went home.

I did not feel that Ricky's was the best in any shape or form. Sweetpea's, Rami's and Christian's were all better IMO than Ricky's. I loved what Rami did with the zippers, and I though Sweetpea's dress was fantastic (and cruise appropriate).

So there were three that I thought were more "deserving" winners based on the original parameters of what they were told...

Christian:

raterunway_01_409.jpg

A "feminized" "softer" version of a motorcyle outfit.

He made the entire jacket out of pants, taken apart and reconfigured.

He made the pants (with the cool motocross like knees) out of reconfigured jackets, using the jacket sleeves for the bottom of the pants.

I know a lot of ladies in different age ranges (at least in LA, NY, and Chicago) who would have jumped on those pants in two seconds.

When I first saw it, I also thought, "Oh here's his same old jacket again", but upon rewatching and closer looks, it's really not...

Sweet P

raterunway_06_409.jpg

Another that I thought was good for what they were told was the original challenge.

Started with going for a wedding dress, but after listening to some Tim Gunn advice (side note - why oh why at this stage of the show - Season 4 - do they NOT all listen to everything that Tim suggests? Those that do always benefit, and those that don't always end up in the bottom or getting aufed) she shortened it and cleaned up the tailoring and silhouette.

Resulting in what I think would end up being the outfit that the most women in actual reality would buy and wear.

I could see this working in a lot of different sizes, and for a lot of different age ranges. Also the most versatile on occasions to wear it.

(Specifically cruise wise - you could wear this with a big straw hat and sunglasses and some converse or flip flops out shopping in port.

Then come back to the ship, add high heels, accessories and an updo and look great in the dining room for example).

In a certain challenge context, I think this also could have been a more deserving winner.

Rami

raterunway_04_409.jpg

And they stuck him right in the middle of the pack.

In this challenge, to me it was extremely original, and well tailored.

I also could see more women being able to wear this than Ricky's.

Also FYI this is actually a skirt and a top, so actually two separates not one dress. So considering that you could actually get three different mix and match outfits out of this one And hello! There's 501 zippers and rivets on there!

Bottom Three...

Chris

raterunway_02_409.jpg

Maybe you had to see these better up close?

I thought this was pretty good, and more original than Ricky's?

Maybe they were trying to shake him up after doing so well last week?

But again, why did he not listen to Tim Gunn?

As soon as Tim walks in and says "I'm concerned", then you better get worried and bust your butt to try to fix it (Hello Kevin).

Sweet P did twice, and has been saved by it.

Was he just fried from so much work on the avant-garde?

These judges do get quite obsessed with "finishing".

Bottom Two...

Jillian

raterunway_07_409.jpg

Making another trench coat after last week?

What was she thinking? And at least there are some cool ideas here, but again, she does not give herself enough time for her ideas.

Too many ideas and not enough time.

I got concerned for her (judges being wacky and inconsistent this year especially)...

When I first saw it, I also thought, "Oh here's his same old jacket again", but upon rewatching and closer looks, it's really not...

Curt, that was my original thought, but when I saw the finished product I was impressed. I'm still not a big Christian fan but he did a great job with this idea and the design and execution of it. It would not be as popular where I live, but we aren't exactly at the forefront of fashion.:p

...and VictorYa is aufed!

raterunway_05_409.jpg

And I was actually wondering if they might save her based on previous efforts in their minds, but this was SO seriously several levels below everyone else's!

She basically re-tailored a jacket, and added inside out lapels and a skirt thing? To make a trenchcoat?

When Jillian was already making one better? And they both made an infinitely better one last week? That was actually all Jillian's as far as the coat portion?

At least she was one that I didn't mind seeing go away.

I personally find her passive aggressive tactics are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

(I mean either step up and take charge and the risk, or step back and follow orders. If you didn't design a certain portion, then don't try to take credit for it afterwards by not saying you didn't actually do that. If someone actually repinned and refit and tailored your outfit, then please give them credit on the runway, and don't try to take credit for it through your silence).

People like Christian, or even Rami's sometimes overbearing don't bother me as much because at least I know where they stand. They are upfront about their feelings. It's the people who hide their intentions and feelings that scare me more in real life.

(Rant over:o )...

At any rate, this was SO poorly done in every way, I don't think there was anyone else who could have been legitimately aufed this week.

Rami

raterunway_04_409.jpg

And they stuck him right in the middle of the pack.

In this challenge, to me it was extremely original, and well tailored.

I also could see more women being able to wear this than Ricky's.

Also FYI this is actually a skirt and a top, so actually two separates not one dress. So considering that you could actually get three different mix and match outfits out of this one And hello! There's 501 zippers and rivets on there!

I seem to remember one of the designers in the final three last year that did the zipper thing also. I think it was with big plastic zippers but the same idea. I think the dress was yellow + green or maybe it was red. But I definately remember zippers inside out.

I also didn't think that Chris' dress was as bad as the judges implied. However I must admit that seeing it today in the picture makes it look too plain. I liked the minimal fraying.

My husband and son have even gotten in on this series, kind of funny. They started off watching laughing their rear ends off at the drama of it all, now they have their favs and definite opinions about the contestants.

Actually, you'd be surprised how many guys get into this unexpectedly!

My two college age nephews actually have me bring over my recordings so they can have Project Runway party marathons with about 10 of their friends. Several hours of episodes running, beer and refreshments going on, and a bunch of straight college football guys cheering and jeering at the runway! It's hysterical! It also definitely does not hurt the viewing factor for them that it's chock full of hawt models.;)

PS They also take a drink every time Tim says "Make it work" or "I'm concerned"...:o

It's especially hard waiting for the outcome as we all know this was taped months ago and it is over for all the designers competing!

Well, it's actually NOT over for all the designers competing!

Yay!

There are four designers right now, that (we don't know who) are frantically working on their collections to show at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week!

General upcoming schedule...

Jan 30th - PR shows the cut from 6 to 5 (it's actually a challenge to design for female wrestlers of the WWE?)

Feb 6th - PR shows the final cut from 5 to 4

Feb 6th (that morning for anyone in NY who is interested) Malan from last season shows at 9 AM.

Feb 8th - that same Friday, two days after showing who the final 4 are on TV - The final 4 show their collections at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in NY.

We'll probably be able to get sneak peeks at the collections a day or so after that...

Then either Feb 13th and 20th will be the two part finale.

Or Feb 20th and 27th, depending on February Sweeps schedule, and possibly editing ability.

Should be interesting!

So just realize that literally as we speak and are reading/writing here, four little designers are frantically sewing and cutting away in hopes of getting their collections finished in time!

I seem to remember one of the designers in the final three last year that did the zipper thing also. I think it was with big plastic zippers but the same idea. I think the dress was yellow + green or maybe it was red. But I definately remember zippers inside out.

Jeffrey

Actually, you'd be surprised how many guys get into this unexpectedly!

My two college age nephews actually have me bring over my recordings so they can have Project Runway party marathons with about 10 of their friends. Several hours of episodes running, beer and refreshments going on, and a bunch of straight college football guys cheering and jeering at the runway! It's hysterical! It also definitely does not hurt the viewing factor for them that it's chock full of hawt models.;)

PS They also take a drink every time Tim says "Make it work" or "I'm concerned"...:o

Ah, the Project Runway drinking game!!:D

I think it was Jeffrey who did the zipper thing last season.

Curt,

I totally agree about Victorya. I called her devious but the passive agressive was perfect...yes, like nails on a chalkboard.:eek:

Ricky's dress looks even worse up close...perfect fit??? Maybe that's rouching up the front.:rolleyes: Chris's dress may not have been what they were looking for but the fit was certainly much better.

Oi!

So, another bad communication from beginning to end on the producer's part.

The designers were given a warehouse full of demin (and cotton, which no one used) of different colors (Pants, jackets, etc.) and were told this was their challenge, and I quote:

"create an iconic denim look of your choice that captures the spirit of originality and creativity of the 501 legacy"

Okay, so read that again, just to put it in your head as to what the designers were told was the challenge.

When it get's to judging, the judges then base on what people would most likely wear, and more importantly a major factor (never told as a judging criteria to the designers) that incorporating 501 "icons" (button flys, yellow thread, red labels) into the design weighs heavily on the 501 designer's decision!

The designers are thinking that they have to re-interpret some kind of "iconic" look or style - so a few are doing "little black dresses", Christian is doing "motorcyle/motocross" style, Sweet P begins with a "wedding dress", and two do a version of a "trench coat" - hmmmm.

But in the judges mind, they mean "iconic" as they are doing a look that will incorporate and repsresent "iconic" levi's styling specifically.

Duuuuuh! Good job producers!

(Nobody knew this apparently except for the 501 designer and she told the judges at panel that's what she was looking for).

So naturally, it's another "what were the judges thinking" and I'm giving you some background info I found out to at least try to explain it.

Again, bad bad producers. This is definitely at least the second time this year, that what the designers are told is the challenge - is not what the judges are told (see the Candy episode for another example).

So how can the designers keep their balance when the rules and criteria keep changing from day to day?

That being said, there WERE some looks that could totally "denim in the dining room" on some of the cruise lines!:D

I'm so glad you wrote this.

I listened VERY carefully to the instructions and the need for the outfit to be ICONIC 501 and then, as you said, the judges went in a different direction.

DH and I watched it and said to one another, "HUGE MISTAKE, HUGE disconnect in giving directions and then judging. The right hand doesn't know what the left one is doing". Thanks for letting us know the behind the scenes scoop and what idiots they are.

It's pathetic. These designers work so hard to follow instructions and then the producers and judges can't get their acts together. They should be auf'ed!

Feb 6th (that morning for anyone in NY who is interested) Malan from last season shows at 9 AM.

Feb 8th - that same Friday, two days after showing who the final 4 are on TV - The final 4 show their collections at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in NY.

We'll probably be able to get sneak peeks at the collections a day or so after that...

Then either Feb 13th and 20th will be the two part finale.

Or Feb 20th and 27th, depending on February Sweeps schedule, and possibly editing ability.

Should be interesting!

So just realize that literally as we speak and are reading/writing here, four little designers are frantically sewing and cutting away in hopes of getting their collections finished in time!

I've got a ticket for Victorya's runway show. I'll let you all know how it is. i bet there won't be any denim! :p

I was invited two days so, so although I didn't know she'd be let go this week, I knew she wasn't the winner.

I'm going to see if I can get a ticket to Malans showing. He was always one of my favorites.

Why's that? Are they generally the type to only watch football games?

Nah, they just have always rolled their eyes at my daughter and I watching in the past. DH usually only wants to watch documentarys about WW2 and son is normally watching either The Simpsons or Jeopardy.

Gratefully, no one here is a football fan.

I'm so glad you wrote this.

I listened VERY carefully to the instructions and the need for the outfit to be ICONIC 501 and then, as you said, the judges went in a different direction.

DH and I watched it and said to one another, "HUGE MISTAKE, HUGE disconnect in giving directions and then judging. The right hand doesn't know what the left one is doing". Thanks for letting us know the behind the scenes scoop and what idiots they are.

It's pathetic. These designers work so hard to follow instructions and then the producers and judges can't get their acts together. They should be auf'ed!

Jane, this is why we probably find the whole show so hysterical to watch! The contestants are given directions and then go off and do whatever comes into their mind without any regard. Then, the judges come back and don't heed their own instructions, the whole show is discombobulated.

My favorite part, besides the runway show, is the judging comments. How absolutely ridiculous can people be? I wish instead of guest judges from the industry they would have a comedian, someone like Robin Williams, making the final comments.

One of my favorite movies "Best In Show" has a guest judge, Fred Willard playing the part. Something like that would be a kick.

The only person who makes any sense to the show at all is Tim Gunn....and he's amusing just being himself.

I'm very aware this is serious business, the outcome of the finalist and many of the contestants can have serious impact on their careers. I even think I've seen some similar clothing from prior seasons on the racks of Forever 21.

Jane, this is why we probably find the whole show so hysterical to watch! The contestants are given directions and then go off and do whatever comes into their mind without any regard. Then, the judges come back and don't heed their own instructions, the whole show is discombobulated.

Maybe that's just the creative way. I'm in advertising, and I've seen a creative direction established quite firmly but when the creative execution ideas came back they were no where close. And it happens a lot. :D

I agree with all about Ricky's outfit. I would have put it in the bottom three. Sweet P's dress would be so flattering on anyone; and it looked very well put together.

I liked Jillian's coat much more on TV than in Curt's pic. Funny thing, one of the things I liked -- all the red tags on the right shoulder -- was specifically disparaged. shows what I know:p

If you take the 501 Iconic look straight forward, Rami and Christian did it best IMHO. Christian's outfit was not that original (the sleeves for legs thing is not exactly fresh) but it looked good.

I don't really have a strong favorite this season. I like Chris, but some of that is his personality. I really liked Kit, but she's long gone. Jillian will probably be a finalist. So will Rami.

Unlike former seasons, I don't feel any sense of "voice" from these designers. Who are they stylistically? With people like Uli and Santino, you had certain visual expectations, even within the framework of odd challenges. Rami is the only one with that here. Yet -- strangely enough -- his clothes look best when he leaves that draping business behind (his candy dress is my favorite design for the season so far).

My favorite part, besides the runway show, is the judging comments. How absolutely ridiculous can people be? I wish instead of guest judges from the industry they would have a comedian, someone like Robin Williams, making the final comments.

Yeah, baby. Now we're talkin'! But there's too much at stake to have Robin Williams comment. Nina Garcia...ugh!

One of my favorite movies "Best In Show" has a guest judge, Fred Willard playing the part. Something like that would be a kick.

You could be my movie buddy anytime! I LOVED Best in Show and I adore anything Fred Willard is in!

Pass the popcorn girlfriend!

I'm very aware this is serious business, the outcome of the finalist and many of the contestants can have serious impact on their careers. I even think I've seen some similar clothing from prior seasons on the racks of Forever 21.

What I find hysterical is that "the winner gets an opportunity to sell on Blue Fly". First of all, an opportunity only says that the buyers will look at their stuff. Big deal. Buyers look at stuff all day every day. That's their job.

However, who would want to sell on Blue Fly???? It's a discount website that sells the unsold leftovers from previous seasons. Selling to a leftover " fashion grave yard" is supposed to be prestigious? That's a "win"??? Not in my book! :rolleyes: