Mom Alone in Ocho Rios With a Toddler

KatRangoon

I was wondering if it was safe for me to take my 2 year old off the boat and walk up Turtle Beach Road and Main Street as it looks from google maps that there is shopping and even a Turtle River Park that could pass the time while the rest of the family is on a shore excursion too adventurous for the little one. Or should I just stay on the boat?

I am a parent of 3 (now grown). If it were me, I would stay on the ship in your situation. Enjoy the ship with few passengers in safety. I signed up for alerts from the state dept (Fed agency), and have received a recent warning about Jamaica. I think a single female is risky. One wirh a toddler, more so. Groups safer.

I am a parent of 3 (now grown). If it were me, I would stay on the ship in your situation. Enjoy the ship with few passengers in safety. I signed up for alerts from the state dept (Fed agency), and have received a recent warning about Jamaica. I think a single female is risky. One wirh a toddler, more so. Groups safer.

That's disappointing. I'm curious, what sort of warning was it? I heard there was one for Cozumel recently too, and it kind of seems like the whole area has troubles. :(

That's disappointing. I'm curious, what sort of warning was it? I heard there was one for Cozumel recently too, and it kind of seems like the whole area has troubles. :(

I've already deleted the emailed warning so can't share the specifics, but it warned of going into various areas due to armed robbery and physical harm to tourists. If you go to the federal website for travel warnings and put in any location, you can see what they are advising.

I've already deleted the emailed warning so can't share the specifics, but it warned of going into various areas due to armed robbery and physical harm to tourists. If you go to the federal website for travel warnings and put in any location, you can see what they are advising.

Okay, thank you. :)

Forgot to mention that I receive the warning for Jamaica about 10 days ago and I've received two others for Mexico in the last month, from the bombs planted on tour boats that killed all those people going out for some excursion in the Tulum area. There was a second boat with a bomb that did not denotate as intended, so no one hurt on that one. I forget which major cruise line stopped using that tour company but that was on the national news about those attacks. I will be in Costa Maya soon and won't venture further than the port shopping area, specific for cruise ship passengers. I do not feel safe. In Jamaica, I'm going with a large group for a driving tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from coz,costa Maya and Jamaica.i would stay in the port shops.too aggressive in Jamaica.your okay in Mexico.not so bad.they try to get your attention but nothing like Jamaica you really have to maintain your guard there.