Magens Bay

pajazz28

I'm a little curious about this too. I've done Magens Bay numerous times on my own (but can't remember the price). Sailing in August with a group of twelve, so everything is a bit more of a production. But I'm kinda scratcing my head at the cruise line price of $30 per person for what basically amounts to two cab rides.

Would you still just go it on your own with a larger group?

I am going there in a few weeks and we (2 adults) have decided to do it on our own. From my research of the treads, I understand that the Taxi fare from Havensight dock to Magens is $8 per person each way if you are 2 or more (or $10 if you are by yourself). The price could be different if you dock at Crown Bay. There is an entrance fee at Magen's of $5 for adults and $2 for kids. Sometimes the excursion includes a drink so you should factored that in. For us, we also wanted the flexibility of how much time to spend there. Taxi in St. Thomas are shared ride, which means that they will wait to be filled up before leaving the port and the may do multiple stops on their way back, so you need to make sure you have plenty of time to come back to the ship by the all-onboard time if you decide to do it on your own.

Also consider that excursion sometimes include other things. I did one in 2010, and the excursion included a photo stop at Drake's Seat (I think that what is called) - overseeing Magen's bay from up above, 2-hours at the beach, transport to downtown for shopping, and transport back to the ship (and we were docked at Crown Bay - downtown is much closer to Havensight). I can't remember how much it was but I think it was worth it for what we want to do at that time.

I'll post back after my trip.

Edited by TravelGirl73-RCCL

Usually the ship excursions include a beverage and a chair. You would have to pay for those if you do it on your own so keep that in mind when comparing. It may also include an umbrella since there is less shade due to storms.

There are picnic tables so many people use those in lieu of renting chairs, but tables are limited.