Sailaway comparison Cape Liberty V Manhattan

NCLfamily

My cruise bucket list includes sailing from New York. Next year we were planning to sail with NCL Escape in the summer, however plans need to change and we are now looking at RCI Anthem out of Liberty at the start of April.

My question is, will I be disappointed that I am not sailing from NYC? i.e are the views of the NY Skyline the same, do we sail close enough to the Statue of Liberty to see her well?

Thanks

My cruise bucket list includes sailing from New York. Next year we were planning to sail with NCL Escape in the summer, however plans need to change and we are now looking at RCI Anthem out of Liberty at the start of April.

My question is, will I be disappointed that I am not sailing from NYC? i.e are the views of the NY Skyline the same, do we sail close enough to the Statue of Liberty to see her well?

Thanks

It's not the same at all. If you get lucky, Anthem will do a loop by the Statue of Liberty only, but you would miss sailing down the Hudson. These sailbys occur infrequently and there is no way to predict them. I did a back to back in Jan-Feb and did a sailby on the first leg but not the second. No advance notice until we were underway.

We have sailed Anthem out of Cape Liberty and several NCL ships out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. There is no comparison. Anthem (unless she swings by the Statue of Liberty, which is not scheduled and rarely happens, as Carol noted above -- and did not on our cruise) pulls out of her dock and pretty quickly is under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. That's it. While you can see the Statue of Liberty from the ship, and some of Manhattan in the distance, you don't have the magnificent sailaway that you do from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, in which you sail past a good chunk of Manhattan as well as Ellis Island and the Statute of Liberty. Sorry.

Here's the view you get of the Statute of Liberty and some of Manhattan in the distance from Anthem when docked (this is zoomed in via a telephoto lens, nothing is that close):

enhance

And here's the view of the Statute of Liberty as you sail by from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, as well as some of Manhattan that you sail by:

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

There's a typo in several of my sentences above -- they of course should say Statue (not Statute!). I hate that there's a time limit here on CC for editing a post! :o I think there should be a statute prohibiting such limits!

Thanks. Makes me a little sad. But to be honest the cruise choice is looking like Anthem, so I'll need to take a small hit on the view.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by NCLfamily

Thanks. Makes me a little sad. But to be honest the cruise choice is looking like Anthem, so I'll need to take a small hit on the view.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Enjoy! Anthem is a beautiful ship. Plenty of info about her on the RCI board of course...

And if you get up early on your return day, you may have this nice view of lower Manhattan:

enhance

(photo by turtles06)