Caribbean Princess' propulsion issues question...

rgmacm

Thank you for all the information. I actually was not aware of the vibration and noise issues. I just thought it was a speed issue that affected port times.

This new information makes me seriously reconsider our Panama Canal options...We LOVE PCL, but have heard very little if any positive about Island Princess... :(:(

With CB not an option........ *sigh* :loudcry:

Thanks again Everyone!!!

I think that given the responses above, that the noise and vibration is not tied to the propulsion problem, and that unless you take two ships and place them on the same day on the same course, at the same speed, in the same location and weather conditions, you cannot say that one is noisier or more vibration than the other, even sister ships. Each ship has it's own natural harmonic frequency, and when influenced by outside factors like wave height, frequency, relative direction to ship's course, and even the particular shape of the waves, along with wind speed and direction, the ship will vibrate more or less, depending on whether these factors are in synchronism with the hull. And, different portions of the hull will have different harmonic frequencies, so different cabins will experience different levels of vibration in the same weather conditions. Being that the cabins are not structural parts of the ship but merely bolted in place, means that they can have an even different harmonic frequency than the hull, and are also susceptible to creaks and groans from the ship moving. What I'm trying to say is that I think that there is no way to predict when you may experience a lot of vibration (which is also subjective), and that it happens on all ships from time to time.

Thank you for all the information. I actually was not aware of the vibration and noise issues. I just thought it was a speed issue that affected port times.

This new information makes me seriously reconsider our Panama Canal options...We LOVE PCL, but have heard very little if any positive about Island Princess... :(:(

With CB not an option........ *sigh* :loudcry:

Thanks again Everyone!!!

I have sailed the Caribbean Princess 5 time, including 2 TA's, both before the current problem and during. While the noise and vibration was noticeable on deck 5 midships at the International Cafe during rough seas. It was not bad during more normal seas. I would not say that it negatively impacted any of my cruises. It certainly was not noticeable in my cabin on any trip (C or B deck) I would not hesitate to book another cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Especially after they have a chance to correct the current engine problem.