Sunny Isles or Aventura

kiminey65

My mother and I will be traveling together on a last minute booking to celebrate her birthday. We fly to Fort Lauderdale but cruise out of Miami so realistically we have a lot of choices in hotels. We booked our flights and land in FLL by 10:00 am so I'd like to get a great location on the beach, with restaurants & possibly a little shopping with in walking distance as we don't plan to Uber anywhere until we head to Port of Miami the following day. We don't speak spanish, and therefore don't want to deal with a language barrier. I seldom hear anything about Sunny Isles or Aventura area on here, but think it makes sense for us due to it being a good 1/2 way between where we will be on "Cruise day". Am I missing my target? Travel is this June 8, and due to it being a little off season, the prices for hotels is affordable to us! Can anyone validate that there are lots of restaurants and maybe some shopping there with in a nice walk? I love to walk btw...

Sunny Isles and Aventura may be half way by the way the crow flies but are both inconveniently out of the way for cruising. It's a PIA getting in and out of Aventura almost any time of day any longer.

If you want shopping, dining, and attractions that are walkable and convenient to the port, look at South Beach.

I love Aventura Mall but it is very congested, traffic is horrible around it.

Listen to Blue and stay in South Beach (UberX from FLL to SB will be about $35, and another $10-15 will get you to POM).

Or on the beach in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel info. The morning of your cruise you can use UberX to get from your hotel to POM for about $35+

Sunny Isles and Aventura may be half way by the way the crow flies but are both inconveniently out of the way for cruising. It's a PIA getting in and out of Aventura almost any time of day any longer.

If you want shopping, dining, and attractions that are walkable and convenient to the port, look at South Beach.

I love Aventura Mall but it is very congested, traffic is horrible around it.

This is exactly what I needed to know & hear! Thanks so much. Thankfully my hesitation in booking will pay off with your advice. I too wondered if the traffic might be a pain to navigate. I love these boards!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have the same question as Kiminey65, except my flight from the West coast arrives around 539 pm. I am planning on coming to mind two days early so I can experience a little of Miami, would love to hear some suggestions as to area to stay, great eating, music and culture.

Ha! June 8th is my birthday and I will be on my way to Bimini on my friends yacht!

Yes Joyful, if I had two days in June, I would certainly stay in South Beach. It really is the best bang for your buck for first timers to the Miami area. Fantastic shopping, dining, and attractions. No car needed.

Make sure you sit outside at Havana 1957 on Espanola Way and drink mojitos and eat Cuban like and fat kid!

I have the same question as Kiminey65, except my flight from the West coast arrives around 539 pm. I am planning on coming to mind two days early so I can experience a little of Miami, would love to hear some suggestions as to area to stay, great eating, music and culture.

Uber to South Beach for two days of dining, beach, nightlife and fun. Alternatively, stay in the Mary Brickell area of Miami - lots of local dining and nightlife options and you can easily visit SB or catch a hop-on/off bus tour to see the sites.

Have a good visit and a great cruise! :D

OP here. This is all great advice, and I love love the suggestions! I'm reading reviews on hotels now and am a big hotwire lurker. It's my OCD clashing with being a bit of a cheapskate (kind of a beer budget with champagne taste girl here). I'm thinking 2 1/2-3 1/2 star hotels. I can see it is a little cheaper to be near Hollywood beach but boyyyyy... Southbeach is intriguing! I've sailed out of Miami a few weeks ago (1st time) and didn't catch any glimpse of it... Hhhmmmmm. I also am not interested in trying out Air bnb with a trip with my mom. This one needs to be a hotel.