Another Dining In Copenhagen Question

Keith1010

We will be staying at the Marriott Hotel in Copenhagen and would appreciate some recommendation regarding Lunch and Dinner in Copehagen that would be near the Marriott, say within a 15 minute walk. We will be there for three nights so if you know of multiple places that would be great.

Thanks,

Keith

We ate at the Hard Rock next to Tavoli and a small cafe on the Nyhaven. May I suggest that you pick up Rick Steves book, he has a lot of recommendations for Copenhagen based on price and location. We should have waited and dined once inside Tavoli, there are several nice looking restaurants there.

The best meal we have ever eaten - anywhere - was at a restaurant called Das Kanalen. We ordered the chef's tasting menu and it was outstanding. It's located on a canal, seats about 25-30 people - a very intimate experience! We would return to Copenhagen just to dine there!

If the weather is good, and daylight when you're dining, try on of the many outside cafes in Nyhavn along the canal. Take a taxi, it's only about a 5 min ride from the Marriott. Great for people watching and enjoying the weather. Otherwise, a dinner in Tivoli would be next choice.

• 2 weeks later...
The best meal we have ever eaten - anywhere - was at a restaurant called Das Kanalen. We ordered the chef's tasting menu and it was outstanding. It's located on a canal, seats about 25-30 people - a very intimate experience! We would return to Copenhagen just to dine there!

How did you find this gem and did you have to make reservations well in advance? What type of food was on the tasting menu?

We did not make reservations in advance - the concierge at the hotel recommended it and arranged it for us. We did book at St. Gertrude's Kloster in advance - this was interesting, but not nearly as good as Kanalen! Although, we did see a romantic proposal that night while dining! The girl said yes! My husband has since spoken with a medical resident who was born in Copenhagen who was amazed that we had found Das Kanalen and told him that it is perceived as being one of the best restaurants in the city. The dinner started with a soup that had a miniature mussel souffle in the middle of the soup bowl - fabulous! Every course was superb in every aspect, and each was served with a wonderful wine. They refilled your glass without asking! My husband even telephoned them from the US to get the name of the dessert wine because he couldn't get it in the US and wanted to make sure he had the correct name - They remebered him! As I said, we would go back to CPH just to dine here! Bon Appetit!

We did not make reservations in advance - the concierge at the hotel recommended it and arranged it for us. We did book at St. Gertrude's Kloster in advance - this was interesting, but not nearly as good as Kanalen! Although, we did see a romantic proposal that night while dining! The girl said yes! My husband has since spoken with a medical resident who was born in Copenhagen who was amazed that we had found Das Kanalen and told him that it is perceived as being one of the best restaurants in the city. The dinner started with a soup that had a miniature mussel souffle in the middle of the soup bowl - fabulous! Every course was superb in every aspect, and each was served with a wonderful wine. They refilled your glass without asking! My husband even telephoned them from the US to get the name of the dessert wine because he couldn't get it in the US and wanted to make sure he had the correct name - They remebered him! As I said, we would go back to CPH just to dine here! Bon Appetit!

Is this the restaurant you are referring to?

Restaurant Kanalen

Wilders Plads 2, 1403 Copenhagen K, Denmark, (45) 31-95-13-30. Strength: French. Wine pricing: Expensive. Cuisine: Danish, French. Entrée pricing: $25. Award of Excellence.

Thanks

Julia

Julia and Keith:

Julia, you have the correct website address.

Keith, I think the meal cost about $125/person.

Here's what we had:

Cream of mussel soup with mussel and scallop souffle - fresh dill garnish Sauvignon Blanc

Salad of mixed greens with thin strips of Danish bacon (very crispy), three kinds of tomatoes (marinated cherry, baked green, marinated yellow), very small homemade herbed croutons, light dressing

Reisling Hogel

Baked mullet over spinach w/beef bouillon sauce with green peas

Vouvray

Chicken breast with potatoes, onions, and mushroooms on a skewer with foie gras sauce

Barbaresco

Cheese plate w/ 12 different cheeses - you could pick 5

Rasteau

Dessert - cherry "pancake" cake with vanilla ice cream, almonds, pecans and cherry reduction sauce

Festoso

The wines were delicious! The combination of flavors was excellent, the portions not too big but just right. The presentation for each course was wonderful, and the service was lovely. A very personal experience.

We also had the tasting menu at St Gertrude's:

Asparagus and shrimp appetizer

Lobster bisque

Loin of Red Deer with raspberries and mushrooms

Potatoes

Cheese plate

Rhubarb dessert

This only included a bottle of wine. This was an old monastery - very charming but I thought it was like any other restaurant - not especially personal.

We also had a dinner at Tivoli but it was typical Danish food. We ate at a place that looked like a little boat - they had sing-along in Danish during the meal. The female bartender was quite the singer! They handed out song sheets in Danish! What a hoot to try to pronounce those words!

Hope this helps!

Ciaobella

Archived