Tahiti or Hawaii?

gdoyle

We have taken a land vacation to Hawaii. We are considerring another vacation to SP. Has anyone done cruises to both Tahiti and Hawaii? If you had to chose one itinerary, which would you recommend, Hawaii or Tahiti?

We did a land tour of Hawaii with the kids, and decided that Kauai was as close as we'd come to paradise. Last summer, we took a seven day cruise on the Paul Gauguin and changed our mind - Bali Hai called us! The lagoons of Bora Bora, Taha'a and Moorea are spectacular scenic spots, alive with fish and rays and sharks, with beautiful islands inside them. Cruising is a better way to see them than land trips. Snorkeling is the best way!

Hawaii is wonderful, but French Polynesia is even more wonderful.

Enjoy

David

We did the TP in October, and a Hawaiian land vacation in December. We kept remarking that we wished the order of our trips had been reversed, b/c we would have appreciated tahitii that much more. Though Hawaii is beautiful, Tahitii is just so untouched and exotic. i.e. in maui there is a kmart, outback steakhouse and sports authority.

We decided to do the Tahitian Princess sailing that begins in Hawaii and ends in Tahiti! Since it will be our first time to both places, we're excited about getting an overview of what each has to offer. ;)

First of all, I love Hawaii ... we've been there a number of times and will be on the big island again for two weeks next month. Having said that, we took our first Polynesian cruise in September and were blown out of the water by the beauty of the multi-hued blue lagoons and the verdant green islands. Actually, maybe I should say we were blown into the water as we love snorkeling and the lagoon snorkeling was way above Hawaii. So if I were to select a cruise, it would be to return to Polynesia (and in fact we've already re-up'd for 2007). If I were to select strictly land, it would be Kona or Maui for cost reasons ... a Hawaiian condo for 2-weeks is far more affordable than staying for that long in Tahiti (not to mention food costs). I wouldn't personally choose the Hawaii - Tahiti cruise simply because there are so many days at sea.

Ira

We aoppreciate the opinions and took your advice and booked the Tahitian Princess for the July 2 sailing through the South Pacific.

We are really excited about visiting such a beautiful part of the world to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.

205 days and counting.

We are booked on the Paul Gaugin. My husband enjoys a little snorkling, but not in very deep waters. I go for a little while and that's enough for me; I'm ready to go back on the beach or boat. Can anyone suggest the best place for snorkling for us? We will be on the cruise, but then staying at the Pearl Resort on Bora Bora post cruise. Thanks.

Archived