Just back awesome cruise!!

mom x4,grandma x4

Howdy everyone,

we just got back from a 7 day western cruise on 12/24. It was an awesome cruise.

Saturday was a little sprinkles in the morning when we arrived around 10:30 at the terminal. We received boarding #5. Check in was quick and easy. We boardrd earlier than usual, it was 11:40 a.m.

Boarding by numbers went very quickly and we were on board in no time at all.

As we entered the atrium it had a large Christmas tree and beautiful garlands hung on all the railing as high as they go. As we rounded the corner to head up to deck 9 for the buffet lunch we passed a big gingerbread house which was close to 8 feet tall. It smelled great!!

It had several disney characters peeking out the windows and little snowmen on the roof that appeared to be melting some. In front were a few reindeer and a statue of a very old version of Father Christmas instead of the traditional santa we know today. It was very impressive to see.

The buffet was very good with a large selection.

After lunch we went to guest services to leave off 2 pillow cases with sharpie markers to be signed by the characters. They were returned to our room friday evening and looked great with all the signatures on them.

Next it was time to head to the room, 1:30 p.m. I unpacked the carry on bag and then the rest of the luggage arrived. I started to unpack but it was almost 3 and we had a meeting in the Promenade lounge with people we had met on cruise boards including this one. It was a lot of fun to meet everyone. We continued to run into these people all week long around the ship. It really made you feel at home to have so many people greet you each day and tell you of their adventures around the ship.

People on these boards are so nice!!

Safety drill was next, thankgoodness they had new life jackets which are so much easier to put on. The old ones were aweful to get on.

After that it was time for the sail away party. The weather was good by then, so we got to have it outside on top of the family pool. They cover the pool with a wooden floor for dancing. Junction 21 played. They were very energetic and did a good job getting the crowd excited. After several songs and dances they had characters on stage, then we dd the countdown and when we started to sail they shot streamers as the crowd cheered. At that point we went to the front of the ship to wave at bystanders as we went out the channel. Some even had Mickey hands on.

We had to rush off to dinner, we had 5:45 dining, We were in Parrot Cay the first night. our wait staff was good, but not the best we have ever had. They made a few mistakes on what they brought to out table, but overall were very quick and pleasant. The food was very good all week long.

After dinner we went to the tree lighting ceremony in the atrium which was fun. It was a good crowd. We all sang carols, and characters appeared. Goofy was dressed as Santa and Pluto had antlers on. One lucky family was picked to climb up the staircase with the characters to blow pixie dust on the tree which caused it to light up. Then it started snowing from the ceiling. It was a great effect which brought a lot of applause from the crowd.

Next we were off to the welcome aboard show staring, comedian Gary DeLena and magician Mike Super, and of course the disney characters. They were both excellant and very funny. We had seen them on other cruises too.

Then we browsed through the stores and then went to shutters to see our boarding picture which turned out good enough to buy.

We turned in early around 11:00 because it had been a very long day for us.

Day 2 Key West arrived noon

Our family did an excursion where they went sailing, snorkeling, and kayaking. They had a blast. We just explored on our own. We took a shuttle that was $8 per person that went all around with many stops where you could get off and see the sights, then climb back on and do that at every stop if you wanted to. WE did go to the southern most point and took pictures then off to the shipwreck museum which was really interesting to see. On top of the building is a 65 foot tall stairway with a fantastic view of the port and mallory square area. We also went in almost every store we could find in the area. One tip if you go there.The first stores you come across, right at the end of the port are double the price of the ones a block from the port. So check it out befor eyou buy something It was coudy and about 84 degrees that day. We didnt see the famous key west sunset you always hear about, it was too cloudy. They did close off the streets at night for the nightly party they have there. We stayed on the ship, so cant give any details. After dinner we went to see Mike Super for the evening show, he was great. Then we went to the adult cabaret show with Gary deLena. he was hilarious. I laughed til I cried.

Then we were off to the 60's dance party with Junction 21. They did mostly Beatle music. It was fun and they even passed out glow sticks to wave or make into a necklace. At 11:00 they set out snacks just outside of the club.

As we went back to our room we walked different hallways each time looking at all the door signs people had made for their doors. There were some great signs to see.

Day 3 a day at sea

sunny blue skies.

we had breakfast at the buffet which had a huge selection of foods including an omelet bar which was great.

The new Dive In Movie screen on deck 9 was awesome. They played a movie every afternoon and night. Plus cartoons and short films of the ports we were headed for. We played a trivia game, then saw a matinee of the Golden mickeys show which was excellant, as usual.

Then I went to an adult craft class where we made a mosiac picture frame which made for a nice free souvenir. There were lots of people doing this. I was surprizes at the number of people.Then we went to the Mickey 2oo race. We only watched this time. But it was fun. Then we checked out more door signs and visited with more friends we had made. It was formal night so we got dressed up and went early to have pictures taken before we went to dinner, which worked nicley. A tip if your planning on doing this, arrive early, before they start to take the photos. If you do this you will probably get through at least 3 different backgrounds before the lines get too long. They do line up quickly.

Then off to a great dinner, after which we went to the family comedy show which we really enjoyed.

There was more music that evening before turning in early because of a early excursion the next day.

day 4 Grand Caymen

Up at 6 a.m. to catch a 8:00a.m. city tour at grand caymen. It was a good tour. We started by tendering in to the port, it only took 5 minutes. We passed a couple of pirate ships in the harbor that really looked authentic. They were used for excursions too. Our tour was in a mini van. Our guide was excellant and very knowledgible. We saw the governors house, the gingerbread house, a turtle farm a rum cake factory with free samples and we went to Hell, which is rock formations that are really eerie looking. It was a good excursion. All the shops were right at the port so shopping was very easy for those who want to shop.

We were back by late lunch and then decided to go out on deck 4 to the comfortable lounge chairs to relax a bit. Just as we started to doze off we heard voices shouting like a pirate then a really loud KABOOM!!! I jumped up and looked off the railing and there was one of those two pirate ships we saw in the harbor. It had a pirate crew and some of the passengers were dressed up too. It was great! then they sailed to the other end of the ship and fired the cannon again. It turned red and smoked, great special effects. Everyone on their ship cheered. They were having a great time. next time I may take that excursion, it looked like a lot of fun. Once our hearing returned we decided to go to the matinee of the show Twice Charmed. It was good, but not our favorite. Then we were off to the family pool area to hear junction 21 paly music as we set sail. Then off to dinner and afterwards to the family cabaret show to see juggler David DiMuzo who was great and funny too. the next day he had a juggling class for people to learn to juggle if they wanted. We watched but didnt try.Then off to the 80's music in rock n bar d.

bedtime

Day 5

Costa Maya

We were up early as we had 8:30 character breakfast with the family in Parrot cay.It was lots of fun and several characters did come ot the table for pictures and autographs. They also have show of sorts that involves the audience.

Then we were off to do the Chacchoben ruins tour with our family. It was an excellant tour. The best we have ever done out of 10 cruises. I wont tell details or I would be typing all night. If you are thinking of doing this tour just respond after my report with your questions and I will try to answer them for you.

The weather had turned windy at the port. we had 15 minutes ot shop before heading back to the ship. we did shop some a sall the shops are right at the port. But as we tried to get back on the ship, the line was long and at a dead stop. The Magic was bouncing around alot. Then we saw 2 huge waves wash over the gangplank. Then it happened a 3rd time, bu this time the gangplank came loose and lifted about 2 feet in the air. By now I'm thinking, OK, I cant swim and it's now 5:30 which is all aboard and we are just standing here. About that time a crew member came by asking for any towels that belonged to the ship. There were a few and he raced them on board. Then another crew member came by and said put away your ID, you wont need it. Now that had me wondering because they are very strict on ID to board. Finally I saw a few people run across the gangplank but there was a crew member standing on each end to help steady it. every once in awhile a huge wave would wash over the walkway. So the crew would tell you when to cross. Eventually we got across only to find ourselves walking on top of a few hundred towels that were oozing water with every step we took. They had a machine sucking up water too. apparently several waves had rushe din the door leaving several inches of water so they couldnt use their electric scanning machines to check us in or scan our bags. We were of course late for dinner, but so was about 1/2 the dining room. It was pirate night so I zipped into my costume and we were off. The dinner was great, the waiters were dressed as pirates, they gave each family a pirate scroll with the menu on it, which you got to keep as well as everyone got a pirate bandana to wear.

after dinner we had just enough time to check out the family karoake then we were off to the party which was fantastic!!! So many costumes, they were all great, the music , dancing and skits were fun. The fireworks were awesome, then of course they had a buffet, the dessert section was not to be lelieved! YUMMY!!! Save room at dinner, you'll need it. Then they played ht epirates of the caribbean movie on the jumboscreen. It was a great night for all.

day 6

sea day

we did the behind the scenes theater tour which we enjoyed very much, went to the store to shop alittle more, then off to lunch which was a seafood buffet with a big sushi bar at the back. There was ice carving and animal towel folding and napkin folding too.

We did have one unusual event that thankfully doesnt happen often. They closed off the front part of the ship on deck 10 so the coast guard could lower men to the ship to take off an ill passenger and take them to the hospital. The ship slowed, but it was terribly windy and it was very scary seeing these brave people lower themselves down to get the patient and put them on a gurney and take them up to the copter. The wind made it very diffacult and hard to do, but they made it ok. We later learned it was a 2 year old girl who was having seizures that they came to help. i hope she is better now. What a horrible thing to happen to someone.

They showed a matinee of Narnia. After dinner we went to a comedy show and saw Disney dreams too. It is an excellant show. Then off to the 70's disco party. Try to arrive alittle early for this one. They start with a skit that is hilarious. At 11:00 we slipped out to go to Lumiere's to eat at the dessert buffet!!! DO NOT MISS THIS!!!! The chocolate fountain is awesome! It is at the back of the desserts. YUMMY!!!!

Back to the 70's music and then off to bed.

Friday Castaway Cay day.

Beautiful sunny skies 75 degrees, maybe warmer.

The dock was decorated by a large Christmas tree and some snowmen that are blowing snow on the guests as they leave the ship. Od ocurse along the way to the beach there are several character photo opportunities and photos with the ship in the background too. The tram had a large red nose on the front, a tail on the rear and beautiful garlands along the sides. It was very festive. carolers also are singing as you walk along. It was very nice.

We sat on the beach for awhile, then we walked to the adult beach and then on down the walking/bike trail to the far side of the island and back again. EWe did discover they had added a new bike path on the runway which we will check out next time. Then it was lunch at Cookies BBQ. By then we met up with our family and went to the grouper game room for some fun. then looked in the shops, took lotsof pictures and headed back around 4 to the ship. Then as I watched from our balcony they were handing out egg nog and sugar cookies ot people as they cam eback to the ship. They also had more characters on the dock for last minute pictures.

I did the packing early so we could enjoy the last night without having to stay inthe room and pack. we went to the room to set the luggage out at 9 to be taken away. We checked the last of the photos at shutters to see if we wanted to buy any more of them. Hint about shutters ont he last night: It will be very crowded, so allow plenty of time to look and buy. But do NOT go the last moring because it is much worse than the last night.

well saturday morning came way to quickly and we are out of the room by 8 a.m.

We met up with our family and then proceeded to slowly walk off the ship.

Being the mature adullt that I am it only took 6 crew members to drag me off the ship!!!! All the time i told them these famous words, "I"LL BE BACK!!!!!!!

which I will, since we already had 2 more cruises booked for the end of next year.

I did not tell of all the little surprizes that lay in store for those of you aobut to cruise I didnt want to spoil the surprizes that lay ahead of you, these were just a few of the highlights of our trip.

Hope all of you have as magical of a cruise as we had.

mom x4,granmda x4

Archived