Newbe Question: How to avoid getting sick

Sailor-man

I went to both Belize and Costa Maya on RCI Splendour 1/05 and we had nachos on the beach in Costa Maya (in the fisherman's village - very primative but tourist friendly area), we also drank local soda in the can and beer in the bottle without any gastrointestinal upsets. In Belize, we drank soda in the can, beer in the bottle and had local wine in shot glasses - again without any gastrointestinal upset. My suggestion to you is don't drink anything that needs ice cubes and only drink bottled water becuase I have heard horror stories myself! We had four children with us and although I don't normally allow soda drinking, I did allow it when visiting these two ports because it was canned. As for the wine we drank in shot glasses and the nachos on the beach with fresh salsa - we took a chance but we had no problems! :)

The only times I've heard of people getting sick was eating cold food like salad or fruit which could be washed with local water or like Jody said, ice cubes. But that was years ago. I've stayed down there many times and haven't once got a hint of sickness. The people down there understand that they work in a tourist market and are very careful these days not getting tourist sick. I can't prove it but I'd bet you would have a better chance getting sick onboard than any restaurant onshore. Stick with bottled and caned drinks and you should be fine

Archived