High Speed Wifi Coming to Disney?

jgoodm

I suspect you have been reading about high speed systems on other cruise lines. DCL's system was upgraded several years ago and has far faster internet than many of the lines that are advertising about upgrading. Specifically, DCL is much faster than Celebrity and Princess.

I'm not aware of any plans at DCL for improvement of the current system.

I suspect you have been reading about high speed systems on other cruise lines. DCL's system was upgraded several years ago and has far faster internet than many of the lines that are advertising about upgrading. Specifically' date=' DCL is much faster than Celebrity and Princess.

I'm not aware of any plans at DCL for improvement of the current system.[/quote']

I’m specifically looking for the VOOM type service that everyone is starting to upgrade to.

I’m specifically looking for the VOOM type service that everyone is starting to upgrade to.

I know nothing about upgrades on DCL, planned or very recent past...but I do know that their internet is the best of any line I've cruised in the past several years, including one as recent as 2 weeks ago. It is also the best priced.

DCL did away with unlimited packages in 2005 when they caught multiple cabins joining up on the web to share one unlimited plan.

It's very easy to prevent this and all cruise lines that offer unlimited internet have limitations of 1, 2 or 3 devices depending on which package you pick.

Unlimited and reasonably priced internet plans are the way of the future, and we see cruise lines such as MSC, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity leading the pack. Royal Caribbean's VOOM is by far the fastest I've experienced at sea, including DCL. There may even come a day when you see mainstream lines include free internet, if they get the bandwidth high enough. Right now free internet is restricted to the smaller vessels of luxury lines and some premium lines.

Carnival Corp. recruited two of Disney's top IT people that were responsible for the Magic Band technology at WDW. They are developing Carnival Corp's Ocean Medallion program, making its debut on Princess Cruises. Unfortunately they are encountering a lot of issues. Things that work on land don't always work the same inside a steel floating object. They are discovering this.

Carnival Corp. recruited two of Disney's top IT people that were responsible for the Magic Band technology at WDW. They are developing Carnival Corp's Ocean Medallion program, making its debut on Princess Cruises. Unfortunately they are encountering a lot of issues. Things that work on land don't always work the same inside a steel floating object. They are discovering this.

The Ocean Medallion system on Princess has been an absolute disaster. They've paid thousands on OBC as compensation to passengers who were promised the new system and it wasn't working on their cruises. They "premiered" it with 200 cabins on one cruise and found horrible shortcomings. At this point they are more than a year behind schedule and none of their cruisers are expecting success any time soon.

In addition, the unlimited internet on Princess has met with very mixed reviews. It is available on a few ships; some people say it is great, others say not high speed at all.

Princess provides complimentary internet to guests who have "Platinum" status, which requires 5 cruises or 50 nights on board (so essentially Gold on DCL). THey provide a number of complimentary minutes to each guest with that status on ships with the old "per minute" system and the mid range package (there are three tiers of speed/bandwidth) on ships with the unlimited package available. In either case, guests can upgrade the complimentary package at a reduced price. The number of minutes provided depends on the length of the cruise.

But, bottom line--their new technology roll out has been a mess.

The Ocean Medallion system on Princess has been an absolute disaster. They've paid thousands on OBC as compensation to passengers who were promised the new system and it wasn't working on their cruises. They "premiered" it with 200 cabins on one cruise and found horrible shortcomings. At this point they are more than a year behind schedule and none of their cruisers are expecting success any time soon.

In addition' date=' the unlimited internet on Princess has met with very mixed reviews. It is available on a few ships; some people say it is great, others say not high speed at all.

Princess provides complimentary internet to guests who have "Platinum" status, which requires 5 cruises or 50 nights on board (so essentially Gold on DCL). THey provide a number of complimentary minutes to each guest with that status on ships with the old "per minute" system and the mid range package (there are three tiers of speed/bandwidth) on ships with the unlimited package available. In either case, guests can upgrade the complimentary package at a reduced price. The number of minutes provided depends on the length of the cruise.

But, bottom line--their new technology roll out has been a mess.[/quote']

Yes I agree the roll-out has been a disaster. I'm Elite on Princess so I receive the free internet package. I just sailed on Royal Princess a few weeks ago. Of course no Ocean Medallion although all the receivers are in place. I had two in my cabin. One in the bathroom and one in the cabin itself. Little round disks. They were all along the corridors and public areas as well. I sail on pretty much all the lines so I can make a lot of comparisons. The recent internet on Royal Princess was not bad (faster than NCL and HAL), but probably not as fast as DCL. The fastest still that I've experienced is VOOM on Royal Caribbean. I could lay in bed in my cabin and FaceTime back home as if I were in the next room. It was awesome, plus never having to log in and out (which is a huge pain) is a big plus. I love unlimited plans and it was very reasonably priced, especially for the excellent service. The second best internet I've experienced was on the new MSC SEASIDE. It was pretty awesome. Almost as good as Royal Caribbean but not quite there yet. Also unlimited plans and reasonable pricing.