Snorkel Gear?

EmmaWoodhouse

My family plans to snorkel on our upcoming (6 days!!!) cruise. We own snorkeling gear, but I've heard rumors that you can rent/check out this sort of thing onboard the ship? Obviously it would be nice to free up the space that those fins would take!!! Can anybody confirm or deny the snorkel gear rumor?

I have not been on a Princess ship where they offered snorkeling gear for rent. You may be able to rent it ashore, but this limits where you can go, and can be time consuming. In addition, you may have problems finding a mask that really fits, or getting one with vision correction. I always take my own. It does not take much space, and frees me to go where I want without wasting any time.

My family plans to snorkel on our upcoming (6 days!!!) cruise. We own snorkeling gear, but I've heard rumors that you can rent/check out this sort of thing onboard the ship? Obviously it would be nice to free up the space that those fins would take!!! Can anybody confirm or deny the snorkel gear rumor?

If you take a snorkeling excursion they'll provide equipment. If you make your own way to a beach there will probably be someone there renting equipment. I've never been on a ship that provided snorkeling equipment.

A lot of cruisers take their own mask and snorkel, for fit and hygene issues. And borrow or rent fins.

Hi,

they don't rent snorkel gear, but you can buy it from the little shop onboard, and it wasn't too expencive. And then later you can just either take them home with you, or leave them on the beach for the local kids etc.

Kristin

I've been on two Princess ships where snorkel gear was available for rent by the week. They were both itineraries where New Waves Diving was available for that particular trip. Only if the Dive Masters are going to be on board for instruction will they have the dive shop open. Their hours are extremely limited also, usually coinciding with the half hour before and half hour after their on board dive lessons. Since you already have the gear, bring it. If you aren't going to be diving or on lengthy snorkels, or if you are a weak swimmer, you might consider leaving your fins if you are concerned about the space they take up.

All Princess snorkel excursions include gear use, but I can't remember one that included fins.

I've been on two Princess ships where snorkel gear was available for rent by the week. They were both itineraries where New Waves Diving was available for that particular trip. Only if the Dive Masters are going to be on board for instruction will they have the dive shop open. Their hours are extremely limited also, usually coinciding with the half hour before and half hour after their on board dive lessons. Since you already have the gear, bring it. If you aren't going to be diving or on lengthy snorkels, or if you are a weak swimmer, you might consider leaving your fins if you are concerned about the space they take up.

All Princess snorkel excursions include gear use, but I can't remember one that included fins.

New Waves rents snorkel gear (I don't recall the price). Also the NW instructors provide snorkel lessons in the ship's pool during the first sea day. They also have a meet and greet on embarkation day.

I believe Genessa has a typo because snorkel excursions always include snorkel fins as part of the included gear. Of course, I'd suggest you bring your mask and tube.

I always bring my own mask and snorkle for both fit and hygenie reasons..I have used the fins on boats/tours that include gear. Last few trips we have gone off on our own so have brought fins..think of them as an exta pair of shoes!!!! :D

We alway take our masks and snorkels as we prefer to use our own instead of picking through their pile of old and overused equipment. If space is a problem you can use their fins. We take those also since they never have enough of my size 12 fins........:)

Not all snorkel excursions include snorkel gear. Always read the description and make sure it is included. Many French Polynesian ones may have some but not enough and quality isn't good. When we did the Baths(BVI) we did the early morning excursion and another couple and us had the water to our selves for quite a bit, they didn't include snorkel equipment(people thought they did) and they had to wait about an hour or so for the beach shack to open to rent gear. Best bet is to search reviews of the tours you are doing and see if they operators did include gear.

We leave the fins at home but bring our own snorkels masks and vests. It really grosses me out when I think of those regulators, I don't beleive they EVER clean them and who knows what type of germs they have on them. Since you have to blow them up with your mouth that is just discusting. I have seen vests lying on the floor of boat equipment rooms on excursions. I have even seen people step on them when they are taking their equipment off- no thank you!

:eek:

Hi

Always bring at least your mask and snorkle--I hate to bring the fins because of space and weight--might anyway

As a first time snorkeler (such a word?) I remember picking up the equipment other people had just left--then it dawned on me--I really wish I had had equipment of my own

Small investment--better hygiene

Now--into the garage to pack w/my clothes--nice reminder

Nancy;)

Archived