Just returned from Legend--hints and open to questions!!

We just returned from Legend (12/24-31) and had a wonderful, wonderful time! Here are some brief thoughts, but am happy to help others about to go!

Shore excursions we took--Cave tubing.com in Belize. Private company--reliable, FUN, good price (read my review on Belize page). If you do cave tubing, bring water shoes and a change of clothes.

Costa Maya took the RCL excursion Beach snorkeling which was also amazing. I thought the snorkeling was better than any place we had seen on our S. Carribean trip. Costa Maya is very remote, so I think an excursion is a good idea here. EVen though we had a full bus, they divided us up into four groups with a guide each, and we just walked out to the coral and started snorkeling. The beach was totally isolated, although the 45 minute bus ride is rather bumpy--it was worth it! Caymans was cancelled due to bad weather!

Other tips--Ask for robes on the first day--they are my favorite part of the morning.

--If you have teens, let them sleep in the morning and go with your spouse to the dining room for breakfast. It is a great way to meet people as you are seated with whomever shows up and we found people to be so friendly and interesting. The b'fast in the dining room is so much calmer and more pleasant than the buffet in Windjammer which is hectic and noisy.

--Don't fret over clothes for dinner. It totally doesn't matter, esp if you are only sitting with your family. Many kids wore flip flops on casual night and my d wore very casual sundresses--my son wore jeans on casual nights even though "you weren't supposed to" No one cares. Men do need to have jackets, and women two dresses, but not worth spending a lot. There is too much time spent worrying about this.

--We found that we were often really hungry between 5 and 6:30 PM, after returning to the ship. There are no dining places open then, except burgers and fries which we don't eat. We learned late in the cruise that you can order from a wonderful room service menu and can have all kinds of great things delivered to the room for only the cost of the tip! It made a huge difference, since we had late seating at dinner.

--Go to the game shows and group games--they are a blast. We loved Majority Rules, Quest, Love and Marriage. The older kids loved it too, and it gives you a chance to do something fun as a family on board.

--Many suggestions here about what to bring were helpful. One more suggestion--bring plastic hooks or clips to hang wet clothes. There are very limited options for places to hang things and these help a lot. Also I liked the clip on pouches for the sea pass card better than the lanyards and so did my kids. They are less bulky--buy at Walmart for a dollar.

Don't bring towels--you have two lovely thick beach towels every day and more available at the pool

Let me know if I can help with other questions. It was truly perfect--don't stress--just enjoy. I worried way too much in advance about doing everything right!:)

Thanks for the info. We are going on the LOS 02/04/06 and can't wait. I do have a couple questions. Were there theme nights on the cruise? Who is the Cruise Director? Any special buys you made on board the ship? Do they promote souvenior glasses/drink specials?

I don't recall any theme nights aboard the Legend, but I could have just missed it entirely! Also, the cruise we were on (week of 12/3), the CD was heading to another RCI ship. I'm not sure who took his place. As far as special buys onboard, I'd say, wait until the last sea day, as that's when they start making things down.

Oh, and another tip? Los Cinco Soles in Coz had the BEST price on Kahula of all the ports. It was $9.50 USD for a very large bottle. I think the price onboard was at least $10.50 USD. If you can provide info, I'm sure the ship will match this price, since they claim, "Never Undersold". ;) This way, you can avoid lugging it around town, and they will deliver it right to your stateroom.

Also, they always had the drink of the day, and you could get them in the souvenir glasses or choose not to.

The cruise director's name was Gavin and he was Australian. I don't recall theme nights either, although there was a pool party with line dancing, special drinks, a Carribean band etc. one night.

I am not a shopper so don't know about good deals on board other than the second to the last night, they had $10 specials at the shops and it looked like some great deals on watches, purses, shawls, belts, costume jewelry. Have fun--we are going through cruise withdrawal--where is the good food? Who will make my bed? Where are my delicious rolls at dinner?:mad:

NCMomwithteens - who was the captain? Was it still Capt Nick? or his reliever Capt Tor

Wolf..............Happy New Year to you. Has anyone told you of the wonderful job that you have performed for all of us over the past year!!

It's great getting aboard a ship, having the captains name. Just to know if you have sailed with him before, or in some cases, you may even book knowing that he will once again be your captain.

FYI, I think Captain Nik will be aboard the Legend for another week or so, and then relieved. I haven't had communication with him for a couple of months.

Thanks again for all of your work!:)

Rick

You know easy it is to obsess about an upcoming cruise! Guess its part of the excitement. Thanks for all the info & reviews! & TIA for answering QUESTIONS!

1-Any advice for my DS= 22 year old single male?

2-Does steward make up sofabed daily? We have a "large OV handicap accessible" cabin & think it will be in the way, if not.

3-Anything you WISH you had done on the ship?

4-Really glad you DID do on the ship?

5-Wish had NOT done on the ship?

6-Wish you had done in any port?

7-Did you go to a meet & mingle? How was it?

8-How were shows/entertainment?

9-Are lectures before ports worth the time?

10-Would you choose LOS again? Good shape?

11-PLEASE LOOK AT NEXT POST QUESTION!

11- I am most concerned about making good choices about port excursions! (Only our 2nd cruise & DS's 1st) Nothing prebooked so far for LOS 1/14.

PLEASE LOOK AT OUR TENATIVE & GIVE ADVICE!!!!! TIA!

Tenative Plan:

Cayman- Car rental(<I guess) to Rum Point; maybe check out 7mile too. Shop for booze last.

Costa Maya- Cab to Mahuhal to just beach it; maybe jetski.

Belize- Watertaxi to Caye Caulker, snorkel & beachin'

Cozumel- Paradise Beach; hope to rent a hobie cat-?

PLEASE LOOK AT OUR TENATIVE & GIVE ADVICE!!!!! TIA!

Tenative Plan:

Cayman- Car rental(<I guess) to Rum Point; maybe check out 7mile too. Shop for booze last.

I am sure more experienced people will chime in, but here is my 2 1/2 cents on this topic:

They drive on the left side of the road in Grand Cayman, so be sure you are comfortable doing this before renting a car. I, for one, always stick with a taxi.

You must buy booze no later than 2 hours before the last tender. They will not let you leave the store with the alcohol and bring it on board. You may want to buy booze first, and then not have to worry about it.

Tracy

NCMOM; I read some of your posts b4 your cruise. Thanks for coming back to help us! Where do you live in NC? We live in Hickory (16 years), previously in Albemarle.

I teach HS: Cinema & Video Production and TEENS ROCK MY WORLD! I would love to hear their input, too.

I was on the 12/10 sailing-major withdrawal at my house! I just had the

pictures out again last night:)

DH and I got souvenier glasses at the pool party that flash. There's a switch

on the bottom that you can control it with. We had them out this weekend

too.

Royaltraveler-We just beached it in Costa Maya. There are lots of places

to park it for the day. Our spot was directly across from Hotel Majahaul,

the big yellow building. $2 cold Sols and some delicious chips and salsa.

Pop was $1. I think we spent $27 for the 4 of us.

Paradise Beach rocked! Make sure you meet Tom, the manager. The

kids played with the water toys and we rented jetskis, $50 for 1/2 hour.

I'd never done it before:) A perfect day, despite a bit of rain! You'll love both places.

Didn't do anything but just walk around the shopping area in Belize and

took the kiddies to Stingray City in Georgetown.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions!

What if you only buy 1 bottle apiece & 'slip' into a backpack??? This is a disappointment!

They won't give it to you. Every shopkeeper that I have experienced (been there twice) has made it clear that they will get the bottles back to the boat for you.

On my Carnival cruise, our room attendant had my big bottle of Stoli waiting on ice in my cabin by the time I got back. On RCI, they delivered the bottles to the room on the last night.

Tracy

Thanks for the tips NC Mom. We are cruising on NoS in December. My eldest son (Velcro man!) :rolleyes: likes to lie in in the mornings so maybe we will go to the dining room for a nice breakfast and let the kids do the windjammer later. We are doing the main dining at 6.15pm so i think it will work out fine from what you have said about being hungry at that time!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. :)

As for room advice, we had a category D1, balcony room, and it was fanstastic. We were originally booked in a larger inside stateroom, but three weeks before sailing, we were upgraded for free to this balcony cabin!! It was awesome. We are most definitely spoiled, and the balcony just adds to the amount of space you have.

RoyalTraveler, I think your excursions sound great. We did the Belize Zoo in Belize, but then again, we were traveling with a 7-yr. old, so we thought he might find this enjoyable. It was a great experience.

As for shopping, save your money for Cozumel. You'll find the best deals there. I always head to Los Cinco Soles. Once off the tender, go to the main street and turn left. It's about 1/2 mile down the road on the right. You'll find everything you need there. They also have the cheapest Kahlua prices around. $9.50 USD for a large bottle. I bought TONS of beautiful sterling silver there, too, and I paid a total of $50 for all of it. You can get souvenirs, silver, clothing, and that wonderful vanilla, too.

Have fun!!!

Ditto on the shopping in Cozumel, we found fantastic bargains around the

area where Fat Tuesday's is on T-shirts, etc., and Los Cinco Soles should

not be missed!

We are forever spoiled for balconies, there's nothing like them. Going

out on the balcony is the first thing we do each morning to see the

sun rise up over the sea. Can't wait until the next cruise this summer:)

We are booked on the Legend cruise out of Tampa the last week of March, travelling with 4 kids ages 8, 12, 15 and 17. We took the kids on Explorer last year, eastern Caribbean route, and they loved it. We are hoping we will not be disappointed with Legend -- I know it is a smaller ship. We have 2 balcony rooms on level 8 (cheaper than 1 inside, 1 outside on Explorer, actually).

On Explorer, my youngest 2 kids enjoyed the kids' programs but the older two (teens) pretty much avoided the organized activities and either stayed with us or did things together. If anyone has experienced the kids' program on Legend for 8-year-olds I'd love your feedback.

Excursions -- could really use advice here.

Grand Caymans -- not sure what to do. Booked the Spanish Bay Reef Resort hoping it would be a fun day at the beach but I am cancelling that booking after reading negative reviews here.

Cozumel -- we have booked dolphin swim and we are hoping it appeals to "all ages" ( I know the youngest will enjoy it -- but the teens?)

Costa Maya: Considering a private operator tour to Chicchoben with Mayan lunch.

Belize: Not sure what to do b/c of 8-year-old. Not only is she young, she is also diabetic, so we cannot leave her on the ship and we must carry all diabetic supplies with us. My older ones want to do the Lost Canopy but 8-year-olds can't go on this. I also can't quite picture how we would manage diabetic supplies on a cave tubing trek. Any ideas? Maybe a private operator?

As far as shipboard activities -- those family games sound great -- also I know my kids would enjoy just sitting in hot tub or pool if they aren't too crowded.

Archived