El Yunque Rainforest Update

I went on a site inspection to the El Yunque National Forest (the Rainforest) yesterday, and this is what we found.

The El Portal visitors center on road 191 at the entrance to the forest was destroyed by the 2017 hurricanes. The U.S. Forest Service headquarters further up the road was heavily damaged. The U.S. Forest Service has temporarily relocated its operations to the hamlet of Palmer, the little village just off highway 3, as you make your way to the park. Since the visitors center needs to be reconstructed, they've also put up a temporary visitors center at Palmer, and they're calling it El Portalito (the little portal). It's on the main street of Palmer, with nearby parking facilities and restaurants. The feds expect to be at this temporary location for about two years, while the permanent facilities up the mountain are rebuilt. Be aware that this facility is also the temporary working space for the forest personnel and volunteers, so it might be a little awkward while they hold meetings there and what not.

The Rainforest itself is open up to La Coca falls on road 191 and to Puente Roto (bridge) over the Mameyes River and the head of Angelito trail a little further on road 988. There's limited parking by La Coca falls, and roadside parking by the entrance to Angelito trail. The Forest Service has personnel posted at both. Road 191 just past La Coca falls is closed due to road reconstruction, but it is expected to reopen up to the Yokahu observation tower by the end of June 2018.

The only open hiking trail right now is Angelito Trail on road 988. It's a 15 minute hike going down, 15 minutes going back up. The foot bridge near the end of the trail, that goes over a tributary stream/creek was washed away, so if you want to go all the way to the end of the trail to the Mameyes river, you would need to climb over some rocks and get your feet wet. It is a beautiful hike even if short, and you get to see the forest restoring itself up close.

Even if there's limited parking, the U.S. Forest Service is not restricting access and in fact, is encouraging people to return to the park. You can expect some crowding on weekends, though.

For those of you who have been to El Yunque before, and for those of us who live here and visit often, it can be a little heartbreaking to see what you will see, but it is also impressive how the forest is reconstituting itself and how hard have the U.S. Forest Service and volunteers worked to reopen the park. It has gotten back a lot of its beauty, and as a plus, with the defoliation, a lot of wide, magnificent views have opened up. Something to behold is what is now called the "Tears of Irma and Maria". Across the valley from La Coca falls, on the next mountain over, you can see two huge gashes on the side of it. Winds, rain and landslides from Hurricanes Irma and María brought down trees and soil all the way to the bedrock. The gashes are several hundred feet long. They were first seen by Forest personnel as they were clearing the roads after Hurricane Maria, and they wept at the destruction. So, they named the new "attraction" the Tears of Irma and Maria.

At any rate, it is now safe and worth your while to visit the Rainforest. You may rent a car or hire a guided tour. DO NOT USE UBER to go to the rainforest, and there are two good reasons for it. One, they have left many people stranded up there as there's spotty cell service and no way to use the app to call for a ride back down. Two, they have dropped passengers at El Portalito, and there's no way to walk to or access the forest itself if not on a motor vehicle. if Uber says they can take you there, they are scamming you.

If you want to visit El Portalito, put down "Coqui International" on your map app. That's the name of the building where the U.S. Forest Service temporary facilities are located.

That is all. Any questions, shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there two weeks ago, and I can confirm everything said. My original thought was to take an Uber. That would have been a colossal mistake. Very glad I rented a car. I was pretty disappointed how much was still down/closed. I understand there may be higher priorities on the island. I don't know when I will get another chance to explore the rainforest.

Do you have a local guide company that you would recommend for a trip to the rain forest?

I can't recommend any as I am a local and the CruiseCritic rules forbid locals from making recommendations (local operators posing as CCers and selling themselves on these boards is a no no). Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Tours with Ellis.

I will do a full review once done editing photos, but we used his services last week and were very happy.

Do you have a local guide company that you would recommend for a trip to the rain forest?