In Port from 3:30-11 PM

Maven3

My DH & I are on the Equinox in August. We are scheduled to be in Puerto Rico [emoji1202] from 3:30 - 11 PM on Monday, August 6, 2018.

Neither one of us has been there before. Arriving so late in the day concerns me. Should we just do a walking tour & hang out in Old Juan that evening or is there an excursion you would recommend?

Excursions we have done in other ports include white water rafting, Trike tour, snorkeling, deep sea fishing, beach break, and the like. When possible, we usually opt for a small or private tour. Sometimes we just walk around and find local music & cuisine. We are 50 something’s and are traveling without kids and with one other couple.

Thanks for taking the time to send me some suggestions!

Vickie

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately we were only there for a few hours early morning and all aboard was 1pm, so I’m jealous!

The dock is just a short walk from the center of old San Juan. Lots of shops and restaurants around, plus there are the old forts you can walk through (for a small fee, I think it was $4 or $7pp). The forts were incredible and I would recommend spending some time checking them out.

One other thing we did was go to the most touristy restaurant in town, Restaurant Barrachina. We typically like to eat off the beaten path, but this place is supposedly the originator of the Pina Colada and I love Pina coladas. So we went for lunch and had some delicious shrimp mofongo and the best Pina Colada I’ve ever had. DW isn’t a drinker and she got a virgin one and raved about it. I would check it out, even if you just walk in to the bar and get one to go, it’s well worth it and very cheap, I think mine was $7, and believe me it wasn’t weak!

Enjoy your trip. It was our first and we fell in love with it so much we just booked the Summit so we could go to San Juan a few days early.

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately we were only there for a few hours early morning and all aboard was 1pm, so I’m jealous!

The dock is just a short walk from the center of old San Juan. Lots of shops and restaurants around, plus there are the old forts you can walk through (for a small fee, I think it was $4 or $7pp). The forts were incredible and I would recommend spending some time checking them out.

One other thing we did was go to the most touristy restaurant in town, Restaurant Barrachina. We typically like to eat off the beaten path, but this place is supposedly the originator of the Pina Colada and I love Pina coladas. So we went for lunch and had some delicious shrimp mofongo and the best Pina Colada I’ve ever had. DW isn’t a drinker and she got a virgin one and raved about it. I would check it out, even if you just walk in to the bar and get one to go, it’s well worth it and very cheap, I think mine was $7, and believe me it wasn’t weak!

Enjoy your trip. It was our first and we fell in love with it so much we just booked the Summit so we could go to San Juan a few days early.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am definitely going to stop in for a pina colada! [emoji484]The forts sound interesting too.

Vickie

We have same timing in San Juan. Our plan is to take Uber to a beach for an hour or so, and then come back to the old town for either a guided walking tour or a self guided tour. Then go to a tapas bar, watch street performance and such.