Mediteranien cruise ports

S

ee on my cruise countdown, only 90 days till our cruise. We will be on the Oosterdam.

Booked 2 excursions so far( Split and Katakalon)

Booked a spa for our sea-day.

Still struggling with Sarande, now i am thinking about renting a cabana for the day. Anyone experience with the cabana and can you tell me how it works?

The rest of the ports i think we do the exploring on our own and see what we do when we are there.

The ports we are visiting are Split, Dubrovnik, Katakalon, Chania, Mykonos, Valletta, Gozo, Palermo and Naples.

In wich ports do we have hop on hop off busses?

Of the ports you list, I am only 100% sure of HOHO buses in Naples. You can board them in Piazza Municipio, which is a couple of blocks from the port. But Naples has a lot of other great options -- you can take the ferry to Capri, for example. It's easily done. The ferries depart from the ferry port right next to where the cruise ships dock.

There may be HOHO buses in Palermo.

Of the other ports, I do not think HOHO buses are offered.

In Chania, there is usually a shuttle (free or small charge, depending on your cruise line's generaly policy) that takes you from the port into Chania. It is much too far to walk. There is also a local bus that does the same. Once in Chania, it is a small town, easily walkable.

Mykonos is almost the same deal if you are docked in one of the two berths: there is a shuttle bus but also a boat that shuttles you into the main part of the (small) town. It is also possible that you will tender, in which case the tender drops you off right in town. From there you can just walk around.

In Dubrovnik, I think larger ships dock in a port that is either a long walk or a shuttle ride into town. Once in town, you can just walk around. Many people enjoy walking the wall. Be forewarned that in Croatia the currency is the kuna -- shops may or may not accept euro and if you want to walk the wall you have to pay in kuna or by credit card.

Valletta has a beautiful sail-in, not to be missed. Once you dock, there is either a steep walk up to the level of the city or a quick elevator ride that drops you in some beautiful gardens. If you want to walk around, you should plan to have some kind of guide book. Most people enjoy the co-Cathedral and the Palace of the Grandmaster (of the Knights Templar). I also like the small but well-down archaeological museum.

Can't help with Gozo but knowing the size of it, and how few ships call there, I doubt there is a HOHO.

Of the ports you list, I am only 100% sure of HOHO buses in Naples. You can board them in Piazza Municipio, which is a couple of blocks from the port. But Naples has a lot of other great options -- you can take the ferry to Capri, for example. It's easily done. The ferries depart from the ferry port right next to where the cruise ships dock.

There may be HOHO buses in Palermo.

Of the other ports, I do not think HOHO buses are offered.

In Chania, there is usually a shuttle (free or small charge, depending on your cruise line's generaly policy) that takes you from the port into Chania. It is much too far to walk. There is also a local bus that does the same. Once in Chania, it is a small town, easily walkable.

Mykonos is almost the same deal if you are docked in one of the two berths: there is a shuttle bus but also a boat that shuttles you into the main part of the (small) town. It is also possible that you will tender, in which case the tender drops you off right in town. From there you can just walk around.

In Dubrovnik, I think larger ships dock in a port that is either a long walk or a shuttle ride into town. Once in town, you can just walk around. Many people enjoy walking the wall. Be forewarned that in Croatia the currency is the kuna -- shops may or may not accept euro and if you want to walk the wall you have to pay in kuna or by credit card.

Valletta has a beautiful sail-in, not to be missed. Once you dock, there is either a steep walk up to the level of the city or a quick elevator ride that drops you in some beautiful gardens. If you want to walk around, you should plan to have some kind of guide book. Most people enjoy the co-Cathedral and the Palace of the Grandmaster (of the Knights Templar). I also like the small but well-down archaeological museum.

Can't help with Gozo but knowing the size of it, and how few ships call there, I doubt there is a HOHO.

Thanks, great info

SARANADE: The Roman ruins at Butrint, port excursion from Sarande Albania, are among the most intimate and haunting I have visited. We enjoyed the HAL port excursion in this city very much, that also included a drive to a hilltop castle for lunch and a chance to get background information from the guide about Albania's recent history and future prospects. This is a very unique "time capsule" port. Don't under-estimate how interesting it can be.