How many people carry on their own luggage?

That being said, there were plenty of people on my last cruise that did just take luggage with them. It wasn't a big deal as they just basically ate lunch in the buffet and had their luggage with them.

This is a reason why I absolutely hate getting on the ship early and trying to go to the buffet for lunch. My experience is that, not only is the place packed, but the large number of suitcases blocking the space between tables makes for a less than enjoyable embarkation. My worst experience was on the Carnival Dream when the place was so claustrophobically packed with people and their luggage, that we just couldn’t walk. We left hungry and grouchy.

Ever since that time, we have a nice, leisurely lunch at a restaurant near the port, and then check in after 1pm. By then, the lines have died down, the staterooms are ready, and we can proceed straight to ours to drop off our carry ons, while avoiding the crowds. Makes for a much more relaxing and enjoyable embarkation day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always carry on our bags! Also we always do self assist debarkation. Carnval lost a piece of our luggage in 1999 and we never let them touch ours now. Because we are homeowners, we had to put a claim on our policy. Carnival offered us nothing.