Dining Question

mdsgu

So on our upcoming Dream cruise, we have steakhouse reservations for the final night of the voyage (it's my father-in-law's birthday, and we always eat in the steakhouse at least once). We read on here that Baked Alaska is back in the MDR, and they always serve it on the final night. We have early dinner seating in the MDR (6pm). We booked the steakhouse for 7pm. Our plan is go to the MDR for 6 specifically to have Baked Alaska -- ok, who are we kidding? we'll have apps, too, I'm sure -- and then go to the steakhouse for 7. There shouldn't be any problem with that, right?

So on our upcoming Dream cruise, we have steakhouse reservations for the final night of the voyage (it's my father-in-law's birthday, and we always eat in the steakhouse at least once). We read on here that Baked Alaska is back in the MDR, and they always serve it on the final night. We have early dinner seating in the MDR (6pm). We booked the steakhouse for 7pm. Our plan is go to the MDR for 6 specifically to have Baked Alaska -- ok, who are we kidding? we'll have apps, too, I'm sure -- and then go to the steakhouse for 7. There shouldn't be any problem with that, right?

As long as desserts are ready to go by say 6 40 it is ok

Isn't the baked Alaska served in a parade all at once?
Yes it is. Your plan wouldn't work for this night. Best would be to change Steak House to another night.

The baked Alaska is paraded out with the servers having the whole cake and then cutting them up for individual servings at their work stations.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Forums mobile app

Yes it is. Your plan wouldn't work for this night. Best would be to change Steak House to another night.

The baked Alaska is paraded out with the servers having the whole cake and then cutting them up for individual servings at their work stations.

That's a bummer.

The only problem I see is that I couldn't possibly eat that much -- apps and dessert in MDR followed by the entire Steakhouse meal of apps, entree, dessert and some surprises along the way. ;)

you don't know how big they are!

If you talk to the people at the steak house the first night and explain that its a special occasion they may actually have the baked alaska served in the steakhouse for desert. The worst they can do is say no. The other alternative is show up to my time dining after the steakhouse and just ask for the baked alaska.

Easy solution.....all you need to do is talk to the concierge/head hostess at the Steakhouse two days prior and let her know that you have dinner reservations for 700 on the last night and for dessert you would like to have the Baked Alaska from the MDR. They will be able to do this for you with no problem. My ex wife made a similar request for me on one of our cruises many years ago when we dined in the Steakhouse on the last night and it coincided with the MDR serving Grand Marnier Souffle. They happily supplied it.

There's no reason to go to the MDR and ruin your steakhouse meal by having apps. You also can get 3 courses prior to your main entree at the steakhouse. Either soup, salad, app or two apps and either soup or salad. Of course you get a main, one or two sides and a dessert. And if you have Cheers don't forget about the large bottle of San Pellegrino and an espresso or cappuccino with dessert.

Easy solution.....all you need to do is talk to the concierge/head hostess at the Steakhouse two days prior and let her know that you have dinner reservations for 700 on the last night and for dessert you would like to have the Baked Alaska from the MDR. They will be able to do this for you with no problem. My ex wife made a similar request for me on one of our cruises many years ago when we dined in the Steakhouse on the last night and it coincided with the MDR serving Grand Marnier Souffle. They happily supplied it.

There's no reason to go to the MDR and ruin your steakhouse meal by having apps. You also can get 3 courses prior to your main entree at the steakhouse. Either soup, salad, app or two apps and either soup or salad. Of course you get a main, one or two sides and a dessert. And if you have Cheers don't forget about the large bottle of San Pellegrino and an espresso or cappuccino with dessert.

We might just do that! We've never ordered the large format water on Cheers before, but I plan to try it out this cruise. (We were probably too focused on which alcoholic drink to order.) Do they still have Grand Marnier souffle? I don't remember seeing it in November.

In Your Time Dining the baked Alaska is served on a "as come" basis for obvious reasons. I must say it was delicious.

Hope you figure it out!

So does that mean we can order it up at any time? I really don't care if they parade it around the dining room; if they want to just walk it up from the kitchen and set it down quietly with no fanfare, that would be fine by me.

So does that mean we can order it up at any time? I really don't care if they parade it around the dining room; if they want to just walk it up from the kitchen and set it down quietly with no fanfare, that would be fine by me.
You stated in your OP that you have early set dinner at 600. Those that have early or late set dining get the parade and flambe show with dessert. Those that have anytime dining do not because not everyone is being served dessert at the same time.