Disembarking procedure

Any strategies/advice on disembarking a Royal Caribbean ship? I have only cruised Disney before, and the procedure was very straightforward: Get off the ship whenever you want, and everyone's off the ship by 9. I did see lines for the early folks, but we were among the last off the ship and just enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and walked right off.

Our flight is not until 6 p.m. (oh, we're on the Grandeur out of Tampa), so my ideal world would be getting up as late as possible, having breakfast, and then getting off the ship. Do I have any choice in the matter? I've read a lot about the color-coded tags but don't know if I have the choice of getting off later than my tag specifies. I presume tags colors are assigned, rather than requested, yes? Also, where do you wait to get off the ship? I like the idea of getting off later, but not if I just have to sit on a deck chair with nothing to do for two hours.

Thanks for any help on this! My questions probably seem silly to experienced RCCL cruisers, but I can't seem to get fixed in my mind how this works. One last question: Is there any easy way for us to do something in Tampa before our flight? We have a lot of time and so could go somewhere, but I wouldn't know what to do with our luggage, so it seems like we'll just have to go to the airport. Thanks again!

First off, even though you are given a colored tag, you can get off anytime after your assigned color is called. In all our cruises unless it was the early departure call, they never really checked colors. So plan on enjoying yourslef with a later breakfast and be liesurely when getting off the ship.

Now the bad news, they will announce you must vacate your room likely by 8:00 am to allow them to begin to start cleaning for the turn around. Remember, there will be anxious people wanting to get in your room and boarding the ship a mear 3 hours after you leave.

So don't fret it and take your time disembarking as long as you clear outta your room.

If the weather is nice, a deck chair sounds great. Since you are flying, you will have a book to read, right? If the weather doen't cooperate, we like the bar on the top of the ship - you can always get on an elevator there and the view is good in the meantime. Nancy

Definitely will have a book to read! Sounds like a good plan, to just leave the room shortly before 8. Hmmm...if the weather's nice, maybe we could wear shorts to sit on deck and then change into jeans at the airport for that trip back to cold Pennsylvania. Any warmth is better than snow!

About half way into your cruise the Cabin attendant will leave a form to fill out in which you check your flight time. The times are not verified by anybody so just check the latest time on the form and you will most likely be able to leave in one of the last groups. If you don't have much luggage, that will be the day, you can check the box for TRAVEL LITE (which means you walk off with your own luggage) and leave latter in the morning.

Have you considered an excursion for that day? You can either investigate arranging a private tour, or there may be a ship sponsored excursion. I'd much rather do that than sit on a ship until I get kicked off, then sit at an airport for hours on end :eek: , especially after finishing a cruise!

I know nothing about Tampa, but I'm sure there are tons of people here who could give you recommendations.

Have you considered an excursion for that day? You can either investigate arranging a private tour, or there may be a ship sponsored excursion. I'd much rather do that than sit on a ship until I get kicked off, then sit at an airport for hours on end :eek: , especially after finishing a cruise!

I know nothing about Tampa, but I'm sure there are tons of people here who could give you recommendations.

Great Idea In Theory...but, in Practice:

My family has been sitting in FLL airport since 10:30 a.m. for our 6:44 p.m. flight (which is now delayed again).

RCCL screwed up the baggage handling...somebody "in authority" had "Red" tagged bags bump priority 2 Lavender (early tours) and they never did put them out until 2 hrs after waiting...No RCCL rep in terminal to help...nobody cared about our tour w/ airport & luggage transfers..Porter was only one to help...went out back to find all the Lav. tagged bags stacked on luggage carts in back...never put on conveyor..Blue tags put out in sequence after skipping most Lavender. At least 12 passengers were affected.

By 9:30 a.m., when we got past customs, RCCL Pier Coordinator (or whatever his title) was not empathetic at all. "Your tour left at 8:45 a.m. w/o you. You were late...You will need to pay for Greyhound bus to airport (5 extra hours early) and then call 'tour company' 800 number for refund." There were two groups of 4 in our family (both FLL and MIA ending point) plus at least 2 groups of 4 and 2 who got left behind. Pre-paid tour booked through RCCL which included luggage and transfer to airport left w/o at least 18 paid passengers due to RCCL baggage issue.

Somehow, they did end up waiving the additional Greyhound bus airport transport fee.

Thanks a LOT, RCCL! We totally followed directions: bags all tagged and out in hallway at proper time last night. We all debarked as instructed on pre-paid RCCL post-tour Everglades 8:30 tour tickets with at 7:30 a.m. departure listed from 5th deck Pacifica Theatre.

I emailed details to Crown & Anchor contact. Will post follow-up with results.

Will also post this in separate thread.

JaneStarr

Archived