Did you ever take a break from NCL and try a river cruise?

JennKach

Funny you ask, as we just got back from our first river cruise and are former NCL cruisers. I just wrote a review if you are interested but overall we loved it and would go again. We got a great last minute deal on one of the lines that is considered typically less expensive. We stayed late moats nights in port so the lack of nighttime entertainment didn’t bother us as all.

Here is a link to the review:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=56108219#post56108219

According to many friends who have done this, it is a wonderful and very different experience but also very pricey. The other concern is walking issues for older cruisers. Apparently river cruises are for those who are in great physical shape and can handle challenges. I wish they had been so popular when we were about 20 years younger.

I'm puzzled by your comment about "great physical shape" and "challenges." Most of the included tours on our 11 plus river cruises involved only a mile or two of walking over the course of 1 1/2 to 2 hours and being on your feet for that amount of time. Several flights of stairs and uneven cobblestones, might also be involved. I'm soon to be 70, in good health but not "great shape," and don't find that pace at all challenging.

According to many friends who have done this, it is a wonderful and very different experience but also very pricey. The other concern is walking issues for older cruisers. Apparently river cruises are for those who are in great physical shape and can handle challenges. I wish they had been so popular when we were about 20 years younger.

Please. Your friends must be weak or completely sedentary. My mother is in her mid 80s and I’m in my mid60s with arthritic knees and a bad back. But we’ve had no problem with riding the tour buses and doing the walking tours on the Volga, Rhine and Danube.

Not as pricey as cruising in the haven.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums