Weak mixed drinks?

MaraNyx

On our cruise last week we watched the bartenders make our drinks.  Frozen or fruity drinks typically get 1 or 1.5 oz of alcohol, while Bloody Marys always got 2 oz of vodka.  Bartender even made fun of me when I ordered a BM for my wife and a fruity drink for me: "She's gonna get twice the fun in her drink!"

So I think that is just policy for how they mix them up.

And I will make this other observation:

Yesterday was a nice day to lounge in and by the pool at home.  I made a round of Pina Coladas from a frozen mix + rum + ice for my wife and I.  Added more rum than the recipe called for, so probably 2 oz per drink once mixed.  I could taste the rum a little bit, but it wasn't "strong tasting".

Then I made her a G&T while I mixed up something on my own: 1 oz of rum with 1/2 oz blueberry schnapps with some lemonade as mixer, over ice (I have no idea if this drink has a name, I just made it up on the fly).  So about the same as Carnival bartenders make up.

I could not taste the alcohol in my second drink at all.

So I suspect many cases of "weak mixed drinks" is just "well mixed drinks".  If you can taste the alcohol in a mixed drink it might be because you are sensitive to it, or because it is bottom-shelf well liquor (they seem to be more "noticeable"), or it is indeed strong.  If you can't taste it, then it might be because it is weak, or maybe just mixed properly.

Two yrs ago on the Vista I ordered a Mimosa after breakfast. I typically make mine 50/50....not Red Frog...It was a glass of sparkling wine and barely enough OJ splashed on top to change the color. I looked at the bartender and said.."you know its 9am"...all she said was "but it's a sea day!"

• Like 1