Sovereign Christmas Cruise Review

:) This being my first RC cruise, I wasn't sure what to expect, especially after reading many of these boards. I can say that I was very pleased though, and had a fun, fun time.

Check in was a breeze, once I got through security at the pier. I arrived at the port at 1pm. After clearing security, I walked straight up to the counter, where I turned over my set sail pass, credit card, and Passport, then walked right around the line for the photos, and boarded the ship.

I had a Grand Suite, 1034, which I already posted something about the noise here. The suite was very nice. Plenty of room and spotless. My room steward was always around and very willing to help with whatever I needed. Even on the formal night, I was having problems with my bowtie, and I opened the door, and called out for Clifford to see if he was in ear range. He was and came right in and gave me assistance.

The bath had plenty of room and there were always plenty of fresh towels. I honestly don't know how they know when I leave the room, but it seemed that everytime I went out for something, I would come back in and the room had been freshened. Amazing.

As I stated earlier, the only drawback to this suite was that directly across the hallway was a crew door that slammed and slammed and slammed, non-stop. It was very annoying.

I had requested a table for 2 in the dining room. Upon arrival on the first day, I went through the dining room to see if my request had been honored. It had not. I was at a large table. Due to personal reasons, I was not in the spirit to be seated with a large group, so I opted for room service for my meals. I would dress, as requested for the evening,(even in Tux on formal night), and go out for cocktails, then stop by the dining room to see what was on the evening menu. Then I would go to my room and call room service and order the desired courses and items. The women that took care of my meals that cruise were very good. My food was always hot, and once they knew my tastes, were always willing to make a suggestion. Needless to say, since I was not tipping a dining room waiter, these women were well taken care of. I actually tipped higher than had I been in the dining room.

Meals were very tasty also. It isn't the absolute best I have ever had, but I was very satisfied.

I did go into the dining room on Christmas Day for lunch. I got there early and asked for a small table, which I did get. I ordered a hamburger, and a 1995 Taittinger. The wait staff were fantastic. Even after I finished my burger, I still had champagne left over, and they asked if they could get a cheese plate for me, to enjoy the rest of my champagne with. I thought that was very nice, but was quite full by then. Besides the $23.00 tip that was added on to my champagne bill, I also left plenty on the table. So, I hope I took care of them as well as they took care of me that day.

I skipped breakfast each day, but for lunch I went into the Windjammer and left cash on the table each day. Once I went to JRockets for hotdogs. Very tasty!!

As for the entertainment, I enjoyed the Dueling Pianos, once. I walked into a show one night that might have been some sort of 50's night, but didn't find it interesting. There was also a singer named Johnny Thunder, that sang old beach music songs, etc., that was enjoyable. But, my absolute favorite entertainment on board was the Caribbean style band at the swimming pool. They had me rocking everytime they played. And the guys that were working the pool bars and decking were very entertaining.

There have been plenty of reviews on the ports on this itinerary, so I won't go into that. I didn't even leave the ship until they made me. Actually, I had the first disembarkation, and I was off of the ship and standing outside by 8am. Easy.

The ship is old, but it is very well maintained. The reception desk staff were always friendly and very helpful. I loved the coffee shop, where I stopped several times a day for an espresso. Every place I looked, someone was polishing this or that. And always, always, the crew had a smile and a nice word.

I have been on 19 Crystal Cruises and I realize that there are big differences in the products that each line offers, but I was not disappointed in any way. I loved having this get-away. I am very thankful to those who helped make it so wonderful for me.

Would I return again? You bet. I can't wait.

Happy New Year to All

There was also a singer named Johnny Thunder, that sang old beach music songs, etc., that was enjoyable.

I was on the Sovereign back in May and there was a singer on there that was awesome! He would sing one song in a very low voice, then sing the next in a very high voice. I mean this dude had an amazing range. He did a few songs out in the centrum and by the time he finished there must have been over 250 people standing around watching him. I am wondering if this Johny Thunder guy is him (I don't think so though)? Does anyone know the singer that I am talking about?

We are leaving on Friday for this cruise (spending a few days in Orlando first), but I can't wait. Thanks for your review and I hope we have an equally good time!! This is be my first cruise on Royal and my travel mates' first crusie ever. I hope it is all of this and more!!!

:D

cryscruiser..............Thanks for a wonderful review. I have been aboard the Monarch, the Sovereigns sister ship, and she too, is old but very well kept.

For someone that has 19 Crystal cruises to say wonderful things about RCCL tells me much about the writter. Thanks for sharing.

Rick

Archived