Giving back to the Community-Orphanage

marshhawk

Got back two weeks ago, and since there was not a lot written about this excursion-thought I would let you know how it went.

First let me say that the island while coming and leaving port, is absolutely fabulous and beautiful, with high mountain ranges, and a diversity of greens and blues. Not what I expected at all. Gorgeous.

We docked, and were getting ready to get off the ship, and security stopped me and asked me to open my bag (wheely back pack) they asked what I was taking off and for what reason-I explained that the crayons, coloring books, and pencils were for the girls orphanage. They knew nothing about this excursion, and told me I couldn't take any thing off the ship unless I had written permission from guest services. Back upstairs-guest services knew nothing, but called the port-not a problem, and she called security and told them, they said they still needed a note, she then walked us down, read the riot act to security, and we were allowed off.

We waited until every one was there, and then walked through the Carnival created shopping mall to our bus. There were about 20 of us. Nice bus, air conditioned. First stop, the town square, history tour, and through the cathedral, then over to a coconut seller, and then over to a gift shop (with clean rest rooms). Lots of jewelry, carvings, all handcrafted in the DR. DH and I bought a carved wooden cat. Never saw a cat the whole time we were on the island, but cattle, horses and dogs seemed to have free wandering rights. Everyone seems to ride motorcycles, small, large, three people on one bike, saw someone taking a washing machine home on the back of one. No helmets, wow!

We then went to the girls orphanage. These girls are not up for adoption, it is more of a shelter for them while their family members are going through hard times. Drug laws are very strict-possession is 10 years. Yup. So while family is in jail, the girls get a home, no stress, education, and loving care. I wont tell you about the visible facility, because I hope that you go, it will remind you of what you have, so I am hoping that what we brought will be appreciated, and I think I will do another giving back on our next cruise.

After the orphanage, we went to the casaba root bread baking up on the mountain, tried the bread (it was good!) and then went to have lunch. We saw so much of the city, the poor part, middle class, and rich, houses went from siding sheds, to full blown mansions. Lunch was good, rice and beans with fried chicken and fresh fruit. Spaghetti for non meat eaters, which I heard was very good.

at this point our tour was "done", but the guide asked the driver to take the ocean drive, and then we did a drive around by the fort. I am so glad, that I didn't book the fort as an excursion, I got to see enough just driving by.

then back to port, where our guide Rafael told me where to get really good coffee, he was right.

It was a great day, I learned a lot, I wasn't over loaded or burned out when I got back, and it made me want to go back and invest more time and money in an island that takes care of it's own, but will need helping doing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

this was from Puerto Plata.  things the orphanage needed-well anything for feminine hygiene. games, coloring books, books, in Spanish.  They are very hard to find in Atlanta.  The youngest girl was 5, and very precocious, but it appeared that the majority of the girls we around 8-10, and I really wish we had Nancy Drew books in Spanish.

I saw stuffed animals, but their library was only one small room, so if you go, bring books in Spanish.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 7:40 PM, marshhawk said:

this was from Puerto Plata.  things the orphanage needed-well anything for feminine hygiene. games, coloring books, books, in Spanish.  They are very hard to find in Atlanta.  The youngest girl was 5, and very precocious, but it appeared that the majority of the girls we around 8-10, and I really wish we had Nancy Drew books in Spanish.

I saw stuffed animals, but their library was only one small room, so if you go, bring books in Spanish.

Was this a ship excursion?