FLL departure - 1220 PM too early?

stlrboo

Just noticed that Delta has changed my flights to and from FLL this coming April. Trying to find alternative flights, as their new flights won't work... I can change from BUF to PIT, but would have to take a 1220 PM flight from FLL... Is this too early? I had a 220 PM, which was great, but to change my outgoing (as well as city), the 1220 PM is all that is available except red-eyes..:eek: Anyone with experiences out of FLL??

Just noticed that Delta has changed my flights to and from FLL this coming April. Trying to find alternative flights, as their new flights won't work... I can change from BUF to PIT, but would have to take a 1220 PM flight from FLL... Is this too early? I had a 220 PM, which was great, but to change my outgoing (as well as city), the 1220 PM is all that is available except red-eyes..:eek: Anyone with experiences out of FLL??

1220pm should not be a problem (barring any unforseen incidents) whether your coming from Port Everglades or Port of Miami. To play it safe, arrange with the purser about being one of the first off the ship when you disembark. ;)

If your cruise is in and out of Ft. Lauderdale, that flight is just fine! It isn't too hard to get a cab and then it is literally about a 5 minute ride to the airport, 10 minutes if traffic is bad. So you should get off early at around 9:00, but you should have no problem. I live in Boca which is just north of Ft. Lauderdale, so if you have any specific questions would be glad to help if I can.

Pooh

Many thanks for the replies! After calling Delta to rebook their error, I found out that the flight in question did not leave a 'legal' connection time, even tho' the computer listed the flight as being available. The lady I talked to, who was extremely cordial, basically told me that there was a very good chance the connection would be 'missed', and if I did make it, the chances of my baggage making it were slim to none! :eek:

I ended up re-booking my departure flights as well as my return flights, and opted for a 430 PM flight from FLL that gets me to Buffalo by 10 PM, so it will work out OK, and we can be "leisurely" after we debark, and not have to worry about 'just making it'! :)

I actually had to book a flight through Cincinnati on the way down, and Atlanta on the return trip. There was no charge, and all is well. Happy cruising to all! I was so happy and relieved, that I booked a cruise on the Carnival Liberty for April 2007! This is habit forming...:D

What is the most reliable transportation to & from Miami pier from the Ft. Lauderdale airport? Looking at flights for Nov. 25, 2006 to Miami. 1st I checked N.W., but the price has gone up this week. I looked at Midwest to Ft. Lauderdale. I looked at the 25th & also the 24th. The 24th is so cheap right now, but we have never flown into Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise out of Miami before.

Gail

wibeachbum - I see that you are from Wisconsin & booked a flight departing at 12:40p.m. out of FLL. As I just posted, I have been checking flights on Midwest for our Nov. 2006 cruise. The flight home on Dec. 3, 2006 departs at 12:40p.m. from FLL. I'm curious what cruise & date you are flying home.

Has anyone taken the cruiseline's transfer from Miami pier to FLL airport? It is one of the options I've been looking into. If we do book our flight home at 12:40p.m., I would like to know what time the bus leaves to go to FLL.

Gail

If your ship is on time, and the port isn't too crowded, you'll have no problem making your flight. We arrived on the Star Princess Sunday morning (January 8), and didn't request (or merit) any kind of priority disembarkation. There were 3 ships arriving that day. We were eating breakfast a little after 8am when our group was called. We were in the American Airlines gate lounge at FLL by 9:30am! BTW, there was an announcement that there is free WiFi in the terminal, and since our flight wasn't until 2:30pm, we fired up the laptop, and caught up with our e-mail while waiting for the flight (didn't use the Internet onboard).

We took a cab to the airport -- didn't book a transfer with the cruise line because they usually run busses, and you have to wait until the bus fills up before they make the airport run. Plus, when you get to the airport, the skycaps have to possibly deal with an entire busload of luggage at one time. Cab fare, with add-on for 4 monster bags and tip, was $15.

OTOH, if the port is crowded (4 or more ships disembarking), and your ship is coming in late, due to weather, mechanical problems, etc., then you might have a lot of trouble making a 12:30pm flight out of FLL. Personally, I'd rather not spend any time on my vacation worrying about whether I'll make my return flight... (For the same reason, we always fligh into the departure port a day ahead of the cruise.)

John

Archived