Why?

Mr Sea Gull

Just interested in others views regarding the July 7th Silhouette Baltics from Southampton itinerary.

We are booked on this cruise as dates fitted in with work commitments but the itinerary is a little odd.

Nynashamn and the seawalk is the stop for Stockhom. This is a first for Celebrity and the only cruise in the whole Baltic period across all ships to dock at Nynashamn. I know other shipping lines dock here regularly saying they are too large for Stockholm, but we know from experience that this is not the case with Celebrity.

Copenhagen the ship is docking at Oceankaj. Again a first for Celebrity and again the only cruise in the whole Baltic period across all ships to dock at Oceankaj that I am aware of. Ok I get that it might be the port authority decision, but why this one cruise it just seems odd as it's got both variations from the usual docks.

We did go to the Baltics last year with Celebrity so have been lucky to have sailed through the fabulous archipelagos docking at Stadsgarden Stockholm and docked at Langelinie Copenhagen close to the little mermaid.

Now with all the recent cutbacks on Celebrity the cynic in me thinks this is a taster cruise at these ports/docks to possibly roll out because they are cheaper or maybe they will be able to sell more tours because of the distances away from visitor attractions.

Anyone else with any ideas why?

Just interested in others views regarding the July 7th Silhouette Baltics from Southampton itinerary.

We are booked on this cruise as dates fitted in with work commitments but the itinerary is a little odd.

Nynashamn and the seawalk is the stop for Stockhom. This is a first for Celebrity and the only cruise in the whole Baltic period across all ships to dock at Nynashamn. I know other shipping lines dock here regularly saying they are too large for Stockholm, but we know from experience that this is not the case with Celebrity.

Copenhagen the ship is docking at Oceankaj. Again a first for Celebrity and again the only cruise in the whole Baltic period across all ships to dock at Oceankaj that I am aware of. Ok I get that it might be the port authority decision, but why this one cruise it just seems odd as it's got both variations from the usual docks.

We did go to the Baltics last year with Celebrity so have been lucky to have sailed through the fabulous archipelagos docking at Stadsgarden Stockholm and docked at Langelinie Copenhagen close to the little mermaid.

Now with all the recent cutbacks on Celebrity the cynic in me thinks this is a taster cruise at these ports/docks to possibly roll out because they are cheaper or maybe they will be able to sell more tours because of the distances away from visitor attractions.

Anyone else with any ideas why?

Perhaps it is a capacity issue and there is a rotation on who has to take the hit in terms of the less attractive dockings?

There is a certain attractiveness of some of the smaller ships for these types of routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are four ships scheduled for July 7 in Stockholm, not including the Silhouette. The ships are MSC Orchestra, Sapphire Princess, AIDAmar, Neue Mein Schiff I.

It could indeed be a volume issue. Nynäshamn is about 32 miles from Stockholm. Makes an interesting read...

http://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/stockholm-port-59

There are four ships scheduled for July 7 in Stockholm, not including the Silhouette. The ships are MSC Orchestra, Sapphire Princess, AIDAmar, Neue Mein Schiff I.

It could indeed be a volume issue. Nynäshamn is about 32 miles from Stockholm. Makes an interesting read...

http://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/stockholm-port-59

Silhouette is in Sweden on July 12th. The four ships you list dock on June 7th. There are however also four ships in port at Stockholm on July 12th when the Silhouette is using Nynäshamn. Three others in Copenhagen (although one is less than 500 pax) on same day as Silhouette.

I did this itinerary on the Eclipse in 2015 and can see that a port day has been replaced on all sailings (Helsinki on all sailings except the first where Bruges is skipped instead).

We can speculate all day why a choice was made --

perhaps there are too many other ships in port

perhaps the port itself will be undergoing work or repairs and won't be able to handle ships those days

perhaps it's a cost-saving measure

we can go on and on, but the point is, nobody here can really know why