Advance Notice For Canceled Cruise

Our Feb. 2018 Navigator sailing was cancelled in Jan. 2017, extremely well in advance. I felt very fortunate we were informed this early. It was the first time we had ever lost a cruise due to a charter. Even though we had a 13 months advance notice, being rookies at this, we went into panic mode. RCCL offered us two sailing dates on the Freedom, very close to our originial sailing date on the Navigator, which we immediately grabbed. I can't even imagine what people go through when they receive notices very close to their sailing date.

November 2018 Mariner charter was notified about 3rd week of April. The compensation was $100 for most cabins and $200pp for airline fees. Price protected on only a few other Mariner sailings with no protection for switching ships.

I believe the main reason you see more complaints about RCI is that they have more passengers.

Looking at your list of other lines and comparing passenger capacity:

RCI handles about 3 1/2 times more passengers than Holland America, twice as many as Princess, 2 1/2 as many as Costa, about 20% more than Carnival and nearly double what Norwegian handles.---so of course they will also have proportionally more problems and complaints. it may not be the only reason, and RCI screws things up too---but I think it is a major reason that you seem to not be accounting for.

I think that may be true when it comes to "one-off" or onboard issues, but it also seems that RCI has more "systemic" issues than the other lines I've cruised. I've never had problems searching/booking/managing reservations in the past, but its a headache with RCI.