Snowdon Railroad from Holyhead. Has anyone done this

We will be on the RSSC stopping in Holyhead. I am having trouble figuring out what to do in this port. In searching the web for ideas I came across the Snowdon Railway. We did the Flam railroad trip in Norway and the scenery was amazing, so thinking perhaps this might be worth a try. Has anyone done this and if so how did you get from the port to the national park? Any advice on this matter or this port in general would be greatly appreciated. The only I don't want to do is be on a RSSC motor coach tour. Thanks in advance!

We will be on the RSSC stopping in Holyhead. I am having trouble figuring out what to do in this port. In searching the web for ideas I came across the Snowdon Railway. We did the Flam railroad trip in Norway and the scenery was amazing, so thinking perhaps this might be worth a try. Has anyone done this and if so how did you get from the port to the national park? Any advice on this matter or this port in general would be greatly appreciated. The only I don't want to do is be on a RSSC motor coach tour. Thanks in advance!

I live in North Wales and quite honestly you are spoilt for choice. The place has everything. Granted, there isn’t much at Holyhead itself, but the island of Anglesey is crammed with interesting stuff and just across on the mainland you have even more. I’ve done the Snowdon railway and it’s a great trip. Advance booking is essential, but beware that it is occasionally cancelled due to the weather and it’s not much of a trip if there’s low cloud on the mountains. Public transport is notoriously poor in rural North Wales, so you will need to think about that. If you’re in a group you might want to split the cost of a driver for the day and take in as much as possible. If you’re adventurous you could hire a car. That would actually be my own preferred choice and I’d drive around the island, taking in the sights and attractions. Wales is a wonderful place (I’m English) and the people are incredibly friendly.

• 3 months later...

You could look for Private guides that can take you there

It may depend on how much time you have in port

The other issue sometimes the port could be missed due to sea conditions ...even with the new dock

Check the cancellation penalties with any guide you choose

some are non refundable even if the ship cannot make port