2nd Itinerary Change 10 Months out. Sign it's been chartered?

A few months ago I posted that our 3/28/19 sailing on the Grandeur had switched out Coco Cay with Grand Bahama. Yesterday I received an email that Grand Bahama has been switched with an extra day in Nassau.

It seems weird to be making these changes this far out, and I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before. Is it a sign that the ship has/will be chartered or just weirdness?

I'm not thrilled with the changes and would be less thrilled if they keep tinkering or end up chartering the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since Coco Cay is being renovated maybe your first change was because they know some of the island won't be usable? The second change is probably because of space, but don't sweat it - Freeport (Grand Bahama) is not that great of a port (we usually stay on ship). JMHO YMMV;)

I second that Grand Bahama is not a great port. However, I understand your frustration, as we've also cruised out of Baltimore and had ports canceled mid-cruise. When you travel from a port such as Baltimore and have a few sea days to get to where you're going, and then not to be able to go, the cruise then turns into "a cruise to nowhere." Here's to hoping everything works out and you enjoy the itinerary. :)

I actually liked Freeport? I had only read negative things, so I went in with low expectations. The immediate Port area might not be spectacular but if you do an Excursion or leave on your own there are some nice parts of the island. And if you've already been to Nassau four or five times it's a nice change.

Yeah, having never been to Freeport, I was ok with the initial change (particularly given the success rate of making it to Coco Cay). And I don't mind Nassau; I'd just rather it be Nassau + anywhere else than 2 days in Nassau.

I just think it's strange that they're making these changes so far out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fear a charter? That might be at the very bottom of the list. Odds are it may be inability to secure tour operator agreements for that date. Number of ships in port. Repairs, renovations, etc. Tons of reasons, none of which relate to a charter. Bon Voyage.

I definitely don't think it's a charter. Typically the signs you see for charter is ship suddenly has no rooms left and is close to sold out or is sold out far in advance of the cruise and it doesn't seem to be a date with high demand that far out. This means they are in discussion and finalizing the paperwork to do a charter. Then maybe a month later you will get that email saying your cruise has been chartered and list of options. More likely first change was due to construction at Coco Cay, and second change could be berthing or other agreement issues.