1st Royal Cruise Going to Cuba! Any Recent RCCL Cuba Passengers?

We are NCL loyalists, but I found a Cuba Cruise, over our anniversary, (mid July)really cheap and jumped feet first into RCCL. I thought it was one day in Havana but RCCL website was offering excursions for Saturday and Sunday, so I called and checked, yes it overnights, great! BUT the RCCL rep stated very firmly "you will not be allowed off the ship unless you are on a ship's excursion"

I have been to the ports of call forum on Cuba, and it seems most the cruise lines are telling people similar things, but many people are doing private tours. I know there are requirements to satisfy US Government, but has anyone been to Cuba in recent months, on RCCL, that can give more insight into if they actually enforce this in anyway?

On a side bar, will RCCL ruin us for NCL? We've been under the impression that it was a step up from NCL

There have been widespread reports of RCI employees telling cruisers they need a ship’s excursion but it is not true. My daughter and a friend just sailed last month and took an excellent private tour through Blexie’s tours.

We just booked a cruise for August on Empress that overnights in Cuba. The agent told us that we had to book an excursion, but it did not have to be through the ship. Never heard of having to book a tour in any other port, but I’ve never visited a communist country and obviously Cuba has its own rules. Can anyone verify, and how do you prove you’ve been on a tour? Is there a minimum cost that must be met? Very vague rule..hope it is spelled out somewhere. What if you stay on the ship? Are you fined? Can’t imagine anyone doing that, but what if the weather is bad? Also, $75 visas for every passenger? Guess I should research a bit.

Hi,

We were in Cuba on the Empress at the end of April. We did not purchase a Royal tour, we did pre-book a tour with a car company. They met us after we got off the ship and we had a great tour. We went back to the ship for dinner (had a great meal in WJ). Unfortunately I couldn't convince my travelling companions to go to one of the night clubs.

The next day we were free to come and go and we walked around and visited the Mercardo for souvenir shopping. We had a couple of drinks, something to eat and some great cuban coffee and returned to the port where we bought our rum. Rum seemed to be the same price everywhere and that way we only had to carry it for a short distance.

Prior to the cruise it did seem that the information available made everything seem very complicated, but it really wasn't and we had a great time. I'm sure you will too, the people we met were glad to interact with us, and despite the sad state of repair of some of the buildings, Havana was very clean.

Enjoy your trip!!

Hi,

We were in Cuba on the Empress at the end of April. We did not purchase a Royal tour, we did pre-book a tour with a car company. They met us after we got off the ship and we had a great tour. We went back to the ship for dinner (had a great meal in WJ). Unfortunately I couldn't convince my travelling companions to go to one of the night clubs.

The next day we were free to come and go and we walked around and visited the Mercardo for souvenir shopping. We had a couple of drinks, something to eat and some great cuban coffee and returned to the port where we bought our rum. Rum seemed to be the same price everywhere and that way we only had to carry it for a short distance.

Prior to the cruise it did seem that the information available made everything seem very complicated, but it really wasn't and we had a great time. I'm sure you will too, the people we met were glad to interact with us, and despite the sad state of repair of some of the buildings, Havana was very clean.

Enjoy your trip!!

We've been twice and agree the information seems much more complicated than it really is. Went to the Tropicana night club (Ship's excursion) and loved it.

A couple things that might be of help to you are (1) you are allowed to bring Cuban Rum back onto the ship and take to your cabin (2) American currency is readily accepted in nearly every place in Havana (3) Most of the old cars are used as taxis - you can stand curbside and flag one down to do a tour.