Celebrity Staterooms Vs. Carnival Staterooms

Barnitch

Hi everyone. I will be sailing on the 2 night Century Jan. 12 - can't wait. The only other cruise line I've been on is Carnival, 4 times. We got an inside cabin (maybe when I'm over 30 I'll finally be able to afford a suite ;) ), as we did on Carnival as well. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the rooms on Century are larger or smaller than the Carnival inside rooms. Thanks!

I've sailed on both Celebrity and Carnival, although never in an inside on Carnival. I do know Celebrity's inside rooms are the same as the outside rooms, 172 square feet. I don't remember one being any bigger than the other. I do like how Carnival puts the beds against the walls in an L shape to make the space seem bigger. On Celebrity the beds are across from each other with a nightstand between them. I think the storage space is better on Celebrity.

Terri

According to the Carnival website, they say most of their ships' standard inside and outside staterooms are 185 sq ft with two full hanging closets and one closet with drawers. Celebrity's are 172 on Millenium class and 175 on Century class with the same configuration for closets. You can go to expedia.com pick your ship and then staterooms, then scroll down to the type and it will tell you the square footage. Some outside cabins on Carnival glory, for instance are 220 sq ft.

We'll see you Barnitch in the Martini Bar at 5 on Jan 12!

IMHO Celebrity is better in many aspects, but the standard rooms.

Carnival's inside rooms are bigger. Our was about 190-200 sq. ft. vs 172 (Mercury) and 174 (Century)

I absolutely loved bedding on Carnival! Samples of different products in the bathrooms ...

I've sailed on both Celebrity and Carnival, although never in an inside on Carnival. I do know Celebrity's inside rooms are the same as the outside rooms, 172 square feet. I don't remember one being any bigger than the other. I do like how Carnival puts the beds against the walls in an L shape to make the space seem bigger. On Celebrity the beds are across from each other with a nightstand between them. I think the storage space is better on Celebrity.

Terri

Carnival fanasty class ships the inside and oceanview staterooms are 185 square feet. I am not sure about the other carnival ships So if the ship is -as the other post said- 172 square feet- I doubt it will be noticable for you unless you have more then 2 people in the cabin.

I know my Mariner of the Seas atruim cabin was 165 square feet but it was fine since it was just hubby and I in the stateroom. I really could not see the cabin was smaller then the oceanview cabin I had on Carnival Inspiration-except for the bathroom area.

Well, I respectfully disagree. The rooms were small and very non descript. The phones were not near the beds and they couldn't get the air conditioning to work for 6 days of an 8 day cruise! Broken light bulbs were not replaced and the bathrooms flooded in both my room and my daughter's room. Considering thet I just got off the Carnival Liberty which is only 5 months old....never again! In addition to the rooms being a mess the elevators were broken for a good portion of the week and the clocks did not work on deck. Can you imagine how it will be in a year!

Sometimes you can tell a lot by the photos, even if they are funny angled. If the twin beds are shown with two night stands between them, then you know you have adequate walking room (or as was already stated, if they are placed in an L shape there is more walking room). If a cabin is 10' wide and each bed is 3 1/2 feet wide, then you have 3' walking room between. If there's only one night stand then there's no walking room.

If the room has a sofa/love seat, there's that much more walking room. if it has only a chair or two you'll see there's not much walking room (as far as two people bumping into one another).

if you're looking for a large stateroom, Holland America advertises that they have the largest in the industry. But then HAL costs more.

Well, I respectfully disagree. The rooms were small and very non descript. The phones were not near the beds and they couldn't get the air conditioning to work for 6 days of an 8 day cruise! Broken light bulbs were not replaced and the bathrooms flooded in both my room and my daughter's room. Considering thet I just got off the Carnival Liberty which is only 5 months old....never again! In addition to the rooms being a mess the elevators were broken for a good portion of the week and the clocks did not work on deck. Can you imagine how it will be in a year!

OMG!!! We were on her (Liberty) during Thanksgiving week and didn't notice any damage!

I won't probably book Carnival again, but that not because of food, rooms or service (which was great by the way, both in state rooms and DR). My main reason for not sailing on CCL is PAX/size ratio.. absolutely terrible.

Thanks for all the replies! It's really not that big a deal since it's only a 2 nighter. When I called about a documentation question, they asked me if I'd like 1 or 2 beds, to which I replied 1 :rolleyes: , it will be my boyfriend and I. I am looking forward to the martini bar!

Well Mariner of the Seas was nothing like that but the stairwell on the end of the Windjammer leaked several decks when it rained. Now it had rained heavily but still- I felt this was terrible as at the time I was on the ship it was not quite 2 years old.

I have been on the mariner...WONDERFUL compared to this! Glitz made of cardboard could accurately describe the decor!

Well you are right about Canival decor for sure-they are not my favorite line and if I ever cruise them again it will because I am with friends that are younger and on a tighter budget then I just to be with them. I doubt Hubby and I would ever pick them for a cruise just for the 2 of us.

but I am not too crazy about RCCL-at least not the voyager class-the only other ship I have been on of their's was Sovereign of the Seas and I liked it enough to cruise SOS twice. but Mariner was WAY too crowded on my cruise-3600 passengers and sea days were super windy so many of the "extra" things were closed like inline skating and the rock climbing wall-which made the pool area super crowded and the promande area in the evening was wall to wall people too. I did like the promanade and the idea of it-I just did not enjoy the crowds. Also the food on MOS was bland and not flavored well EXCEPT for the specialty restuarants-they were great.

I would cruise SOS again and I would possibly cruise Carnival Miracle again-I just don't want to go on any of the "mega ships" no matter the line.

I keep asking people to compare the food on voyager class ships to radience class ships-how does the food compare? I might would consider a radience class ship on RCCL-so far no one has said. I have read several that have said the larger the ship the lesser the quality of food-the more that has to be prepared-the longer it takes and so the quality suffers-but these posts were talking in general-I want to know about radience class ships-I would cruise one if it had better food then the MOS.

One thing I would say too with all the things that were wrong on your cruise were you given any kind of credit or refund? You should have been .

I agree with the mega ships. I prefer smaller more intimate ones. However the way of the future is with bigger more impersonal sailing. At least for the major lines. I have been on Radience class..they are better. I had my favorite cruise on a ten year old ship-Galaxy last summer. Just the right size...food terrific...staff superb! As for getting anything I called guest relations and I already have a file that was started on the ship- purser felt the problems were all too real. I will let you know. I expect they will offer a cruise shipboard credti, but I have no intention of using the line again. Let's see!

K

I agree with the mega ships. I prefer smaller more intimate ones. However the way of the future is with bigger more impersonal sailing. At least for the major lines. I have been on Radience class..they are better. I had my favorite cruise on a ten year old ship-Galaxy last summer. Just the right size...food terrific...staff superb! As for getting anything I called guest relations and I already have a file that was started on the ship- purser felt the problems were all too real. I will let you know. I expect they will offer a cruise shipboard credti, but I have no intention of using the line again. Let's see!

K

who could blame you? I sure wouldn't-not with that horror story.

But I agree the old small ships are not necesarily bad. My all time favorite cruise of the ten I have taken so far was the old Pacific Princess. The beds were made into the wall so couples still slept separate except for the 2 suites on that ship-but they had the best chefs and the food was superb- the entertainment and service were great too.

But what I was asking about radience class ships- was the food on the radeince class ship better then the food on the Mariner? The food on the Mariner was the absolute worse I have ever eaten on a cruiseship except for in the specialty restuarants-there the food was great.

I have been looking at 2 repoisoning cruises from Europe. One on the Jewel of the Seas and one on Celebrity Constellation. The inside cabin on the constellation was around the price of a balcony on the Jewel. I am just wondering should I go for the balcony or the better food.

I am a Constellation fan! I am going on the 14 day Baltic July1 on her. I have been on her twicw bwfore. Great ship! My friend recently went on a six night Jewel...she said the food was just OK. RCCL doesn't have the food that Celebrity does. I also agree with you on the old Princess. The dining room was amazing! Pasta cooked tableside etc etc etc.

As for balcony I have had suites...on Galaxy, I have had portholes, and I have had inside. The more port intensive the trip the less yopu need a balcony except in the MED>...either way it will be 1000 times better than Carnival!

Karen

I am a Constellation fan! I am going on the 14 day Baltic July1 on her. I have been on her twicw bwfore. Great ship! My friend recently went on a six night Jewel...she said the food was just OK. RCCL doesn't have the food that Celebrity does. I also agree with you on the old Princess. The dining room was amazing! Pasta cooked tableside etc etc etc.

As for balcony I have had suites...on Galaxy, I have had portholes, and I have had inside. The more port intensive the trip the less yopu need a balcony except in the MED>...either way it will be 1000 times better than Carnival!

Karen

No this cruise is for our 25th anniversary so we are splurging-we are just middle class not globe trotters-but since this is something special we are planning I have no desire to go bargain style.

I see you really do not like carnival-but in my case although they are not my favorite-it was one cruise out of 4 that I did not like. even that cruise I still had a good time-I just flet it should have been better. With RCCL it has been one cruise out of 3 that I was disapointed in but as I said-I still had a good time. I have never been on a cruise where I was absolutely miserable-there has always been at least some things I liked.

My husband and I are NOT cruiseline loyalists and we like trying differant things-I am sure we will at some point settle into a favorite cruiseline-we just haven't yet- but also our needs have changed-when our daughter was younger our needs were differant-now that we are middleaged and she is grown-we are looking for not so much "young and fun" but more laid back, subdued and yes a little more refined. So far we have tried 5 lines-and next month we will go on the Zenith which will be our 6th cruiseline.

We are going with 3 other couples- but one reason we picked the Zenith was to try out Celebrity-to get an idea if we want Celebrity to be our big splurge on a cruise for our 25th. One person posted to me that it would be unfair of me to size up Celebrity by the Zenith-but as I said to them-I don't expect an old small ship to be perfect-I have been on old small ships before-but if the line can make a cruise nice on an old small ship then I have confidence that a cruise on a newer, better, ship would be even better. That is what disapointed me about Mariner of the Seas-she being one of RCCL's newer ships I just expected better.

Well the 25th anniversary cruise is still almost 2 years away-in fact I was talking about prices this coming fall when I was quoting the price differance of the 2 ships-I have already checked and learned it will be June of this year before I can get the dates and pricing. So I guess I still have 5 months to decide. I am also considering Star Princess.

I thiink that the Zenith is a nice ship. I like smaller ships because you seem to get more personalized service there. They do not have the bells and whistles, but they make up for it in other ways. I think if you chose Celebrity or Princess you will have a great vacation!

K

Archived