Packing question- raingear

We leave SFO>Copenhagen in 2 weeks!

Now, a packing question. Where I live we’re in perpetual drought and it certainly never rains in the summer. I bought some cheap compact rain poncho things for us to take along in case of sudden downpour (again, a phenomenon I’m not that experienced with!). Should we also pack our regular (not very bulky) raincoats for overall rainy days, or is that kind of weather not likely vs sudden downpours?

Thanks to those who have been in the region recently!!

I would bring them. I don’t know where you’re traveling, besides Copenhagen, but several places in the Baltic and even more so along the Norwegian coast are known more for continuous light rain rather than sudden downpours.

We are taking lightweight raincoats. Ponchos are certainly great at Disney if its a pop up rain but I'm thinking there may be some periods of light rain where a raincoat would be good. I'm also thinking that if it is a potentially chilly day (which I am hoping for!) that the coat would be a good outer layer over a long sleeve tshirt. I have been watching the weather like a hawk - Copenhagen, Stockholm, St. Pete definitely are showing more moderate temps than horrible here. I think short sleeve tshirts/shorts for the boys on some ports may be in order and in others maybe long pants/long sleeve tshirts.

Locals in Helsinki (or Finland in general) tend to use a jacket with some waterproofing (e.g. a 5000-7000 mm water pillar) for those days that have light rain because it will also breathe and can be packed away to a small space. Heavy rains are quite rare and usually temporary. I would say even an umbrella would be sufficient for a cruise tourist. Anyway, the locals are using this kind of "layers, layers and layers" approach so when the autumn comes, they just add a middle layer under the jacket.

We are going back to the Baltic, but although everywhere has temperatures of about 30c at the moment, we are still taking our waterproof jackets. We last went mid September and it was very hot everywhere, but you just can't tell.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bought very lightweight Columbia raincoats at Dicks which were $30. I tried to get the lightest possible. I just hope its not blazing hot in the ports.

It can be very hot, who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were fine with just umbrellas as it was never windy when raining -- just drizzly. We also wouldn't have wanted to be wearing coats as we found it quite warm in July. (But then, we're Canadian. Californians might have a different idea of "warm.")

We were fine with just umbrellas as it was never windy when raining -- just drizzly. We also wouldn't have wanted to be wearing coats as we found it quite warm in July. (But then, we're Canadian. Californians might have a different idea of "warm.")

Ha no, in the Bay Area people aren’t very used to heat! I’ve heard it’s been roasting in some parts of Canada!

We do have lightweight raincoats which we used in Costa Rica which was hot and extremely wet!

I planned to take our light rain gear which we also brought on our Alaska cruise. The weather for the next 10fays looks to be fairly sunny and inthe high 70’s which is much better than the heat wave we just endured in Connecticut. I plan on packing shorts and short sleeve shorts for most days, but will have a couple pairs of jeans/long pants and a sweater just in case. We leave in 4 Days!