Twice a day service...

I guess that’s just what I’ve come to expect from hotels I frequently visit that offer turndown service and advertise it as such. It wouldn’t have dawned to me that was considered extra on top of what turndown service is because it’s always been done that way, for me, without asking in hotels where turndown service was the norm.

I wouldn’t expect the room to be vacuumed or the bedding stripped during the second service of the day which is what I meant to imply.

My apologies for any misinformation as my expectations are different.

That's what I have always expected from the evening service, fresh ice and towels, turn down the bed and leave tomorrow's Fun Times for us. I think maybe that's where the whole discussion stems, some people think it's a twice a day entire cabin cleaning. I think it's AM cleaning and PM turndown.

the last cruise we went on i asked for cleaning only in the evening because my teenage son, who has major insomnia, for some reason sleeps really well on ships.

I love when he goes to the cabin after brunch for a morning nap, or sleeps through breakfast. This is because i always worry about his sleep. Anyway, it was better for us to only have room cleaned once per day. But i did not tip any less than i always do when i prepay. I did not give extra that cruise though because a couple of nights the kids were gathered in the bunks watching TV and i just stepped outside and asked for clean towels and told them no service was necessary that evening.

That being said.... im a clean freak and my kids know whats expected as far as keeping the cabin organized and being thoughtful of others.

So ... no problems for us.

In a case like this I don't think you should tip less as you were offered the twice per day and chose the once a day instead.

The only way I would consider reducing tips is if I told only one service per day, end of story.

I often sleep in on @ sea days. I am a night worker and my body is not used to being up that early. My wife does the same as you and just asks the steward for clean towels and says no service is required.

In a case like this it was also my choice and don't reduce tips. We almost always even give extra.

It just wouldn't sit with me very well being told once a day and paying the same tips, not after 20 years of cruising Carnival and always having twice a day.

If they want to reduce the tips and change to once a day, I can work with that.:)

Bill